Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well, if he's in the KHL, he won't play in the series.

True, he was too young to play this year is that correct? Is the KHL rules you have to be 17 to play?

Given the contract he signed, I’m sure the team wants him up as soon as possible.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
True, he was too young to play this year is that correct? Is the KHL rules you have to be 17 to play?

Given the contract he signed, I’m sure the team wants him up as soon as possible.

Yeah, he's eligible to play in the KHL next season from the start. Of course, the kid will be just 16 and he's small even for u18 tournament, but with his skill and IQ, I think, he can survive in the KHL. Will he get enough TOI, that's the question.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, he's eligible to play in the KHL next season from the start. Of course, the kid will be just 16 and he's small even for u18 tournament, but with his skill and IQ, I think, he can survive in the KHL. Will he get enough TOI, that's the question.

Always the tricky part with young guys in the KHL it’s not a development league just like the NHL is not a development league. Teams are playing to win and it’s professional hockey.

Michkov is a slightly shorter guy but he looks pretty thick and strong despite not being overly tall. I’m sure he’ll grow as he gets older. He has a tremendous shot and displays elite hockey IQ, he should get some PP time hopefully even if he’s sheltered a bit at 5 v 5.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Always the tricky part with young guys in the KHL it’s not a development league just like the NHL is not a development league. Teams are playing to win and it’s professional hockey.

Michkov is a slightly shorter guy but he looks pretty thick and strong despite not being overly tall. I’m sure he’ll grow as he gets older. He has a tremendous shot and displays elite hockey IQ, he should get some PP time hopefully even if he’s sheltered a bit at 5 v 5.

Well, I hope, you're right. It's still an awful lot of time unill next season, we can all die before.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
C'mon guys. Put your guns down, it's not time to fight.
"Why do you have to be mad?"(c)
The kids still have two more years untill get drafted. It's highly possible none of them will turn out to be Crosby/MacDavid or Ovechkin/Bure level player. So many things are going to happen in these two years, everything can change.
Let me remind you what a caliber of a player Ovechkin was in 2002 when playing at world juniors at the same age Michkov plays now. He was just a bull, playing in a pro league against men. Michkov is not on his level. And don't forget about Ovechkin's 14 goals . Michkov is having 9. Good enough but still.
Or MacDavid at the age of Bedard? He was an ultimate leader of Canada being 2 years younger than others. Best scorer, dominant etc. Bedard is playing good but not even close to MacDavid at his age.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
C'mon guys. Put your guns down, it's not time to fight.
"Why do you have to be mad?"(c)
The kids still have two more years untill get drafted. It's highly possible none of them will turn out to be Crosby/MacDavid or Ovechkin/Bure level player. So many things are going to happen in these two years, everything can change.
Let me remind you what a caliber of a player Ovechkin was in 2002 when playing at world juniors at the same age Michkov plays now. He was just a bull, playing in a pro league against men. Michkov is not on his level. And don't forget about Ovechkin's 14 goals . Michkov is having 9. Good enough but still.
Or MacDavid at the age of Bedard? He was an ultimate leader of Canada being 2 years younger than others. Best scorer, dominant etc. Bedard is playing good but not even close to MacDavid at his age.

Don't forget to add Ovi had 14 goals in 8 games, and Michkov has 9 after 4 games.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well, I hope, you're right. It's still an awful lot of time unill next season, we can all die before.

Well, as long as Canada and Russia can play hockey against each other in the next world it’ll be fine with me.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Basic math not your strength, it seems.

14 goals in 8 games versus 9 goals in 4 games.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Love it.

Connor Bedard destroys the WHL. Michkov destroys the U18 to remind the world it's far from over. Will be an amazing draft

Connor Bedard destroys the east division of the WHL - whatever it's worth to you. For the world its worth nothing.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Slowly but surely some have understood that. But its even not about the WHL, its the east division in which Bedard played in.
If this MHL is so great then why do so many Russian players come and play in the CHL? Slowly but surely I think some have understood how unbelievable it is for a 15 year old underager to be tearing up one of the top junior leagues in the world. He had a better PPG than multiple first and second round picks playing on a dog *hit team for christ sake. Ya the east division has a 3 rebuilding teams but it also has 3 other teams that were quite strong.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
7 months difference between those 2. It is huge at that age. Bedard will be a lot stronger in 7 months.

Anyhow....one will be in the NHL at 18 years old and the other not before 22 years old unfortunately

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Don't know but both better grow unless someone can point out a Generational 5'10' or shorter.
Well most people do still grow after 15 &16 so i’d assume they will also. Also they’re both looking great playing players older than them as of now, and those players will be some of their primary competetion in the future, so it’s not as a big concern imo

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
The extra birth year Michkov has had is definitely a significant factor considering their ages. Given that they're playing at a similar level right now, the fact that Bedard's still 15 gives him the edge in my book

I think it would be unfair to Michkov to say he hasn't been superior so far this tournament, both have been great but Michkov has 10 goals and Bedard has 9 pts.

To me Bedard has looked great, showed a ton of upside and skill, but also has been a benefiting from playing with some great linemates and getting the pp time.

Michkov has just driven the Russian offense and been a dominant force. The 7 months could mean something or it could mean nothing, and this tournament may be of no indicator at all for how they will develop, but Michkov has been the more dangerous of the 2.

Reactions: alexgreeen and kk87

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I think it would be unfair to Michkov to say he hasn't been superior so far this tournament, both have been great but Michkov has 10 goals and Bedard has 9 pts.

At 15 years old....7 big months means always something.

look at Bedard next December and you will see difference....between both Bedard..

Anyhow..Michkov will not be in the nhl before 22 years old anyway and at the time Bedard will be at his fourth season with hundreds of points already..

To me Bedard has looked great, showed a ton of upside and skill, but also has been a benefiting from playing with some great linemates and getting the pp time.

Michkov has just driven the Russian offense and been a dominant force. The 7 months could mean something or it could mean nothing, and this tournament may be of no indicator at all for how they will develop, but Michkov has been the more dangerous of the 2.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Well most people do still grow after 15 &16 so i’d assume they will also. Also they’re both looking great playing players older than them as of now, and those players will be some of their primary competetion in the future, so it’s not as a big concern imo

Yeah for sure, they might still grow , especially CB who isnt 16 till July, but the other kid is well past 16 and not uncommon to be done growing at that age. As for best-on best...You know not even half the players in this tourney from teams like Sweden, Can , US and Russia go on to have an NHL careers right? That percentage plumets to single digits for all the other teams in the tournament. U18 tournament offers a taste of some of the talent on the hozizon but overall, as a best-on-best its no where near U20 in quality of play and number of future NHLers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad