Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you have a lot right. One area I disagree about.

I see Michkov’s release more as Matthews and Bedard more as Stamkos. Matthews is better with finding space, hiding his release, changing angles, great at goals near the net, doesn’t score too many from a far distance. Stamkos is more raw power without being Ovechkin/Laine shot power, quick release but not too deceptive, just very heavy and gets on a goalie quickly. Shoots it better from distance. Bedard is also right-handed like Stamkos and Michkov left-handed like Matthews. I haven’t studied it as closely either, but I always thought that from what I see that Michkov and Matthews tend to grip very similarly when shooting.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think you have a lot right. One area I disagree about.

I see Michkov’s release more as Matthews and Bedard more as Stamkos. Matthews is better with finding space, hiding his release, changing angles, great at goals near the net, doesn’t score too many from a far distance. Stamkos is more raw power without being Ovechkin/Laine shot power, quick release but not too deceptive, just very heavy and gets on a goalie quickly. Shoots it better from distance. Bedard is also right-handed like Stamkos and Michkov left-handed like Matthews. I haven’t studied it as closely either, but I always thought that from what I see that Michkov and Matthews tend to grip very similarly when shooting.
I can see a bit what you’re saying, but when looking at shots, I personally focus most on the most exceptional/standout properties.

With the Matthews comparison, a huge thing that stands out with Matthews' shot is how much he can change the angle when shooting, crazy curl and drags. I see this more in Bedard than Michkov. Good example, some of Bedard's goals here:

For me Stamkos and Ovie, it's hard to talk about their shots without thinking first about their insane one-timers, two of the best ever in that regard. Neither Bedard nor Michkov really have nuts one-timers, both are more wrist/snap shot focused. And with Laine the really special/unique part is that slower release but insanely powerful, more traditional wrister that he can bury from anywhere, even the point. I haven't seen much in the way of really long range shots from either Bedard or Michkov, both score primarily from the top of the circle in (from what I've seen, at least).

I do personally like the Matthews comp for Bedard's shot. Michkov ... maybe more Panarin, just a hard, accurate shot, and he loves to go bar down like Panarin, both score a tonne in that little triangle right beside goalies' shoulders.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s really close. I think, position aside, I’d lean Michkov. He’s such a smart goal scorer and the best prospect at scoring around the net I’ve seen in a long time. I think that will translate a little better than Bedard game, not that I think Bedard won’t be an elite scorer in the NHL.

if Bedard was a better skater, I’d say he is on McDavid’s level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad