Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
woah isn't the MHL the equivalent of CHL in Russia? And Michkov was ppg (almost 1g/g) in it at 14????

sounds like insanity
He is 15, BUT

He is currently leading the league in scoring(shared with two other players) with 23 pts in 20 games.

He is leading the league in goal scoring(shared with one other player) with 14 goals in 20 games.

Those other players though he is sharing the leads with are all 19. One is turning 20 in a month.

The only "knock" on Michkov's stats is that he has played more games due to playing for both SKA teams in the MHL switching between them. The other guys have 2-6 less GP.

Given the age difference ths is stil beyond insane. Given his pace and progression he might even get better throughout the season and that's where it gets scary. There is a good possibility he could finish the season as the league's leading scorer and goal scorer.

Reactions: CanuckCity and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He is 15, BUT

He is currently leading the league in scoring(shared with two other players) with 23 pts in 20 games.

He is leading the league in goal scoring(shared with one other player) with 14 goals in 20 games.

Those other players though he is sharing the leads with are all 19. One is turning 20 in a month.

The only "knock" on Michkov's stats is that he has played more games due to playing for both SKA teams in the MHL switching between them. The other guys have 2-6 less GP.

Given the age difference ths is stil beyond insane. Given his pace and progression he might even get better throughout the season and that's where it gets scary. There is a good possibility he could finish the season as the league's leading scorer and goal scorer.

Ok so I just looked a youtube highlight video, man are people in the comments toxic, it's kind of hilarious :laugh: Personally that just raised the question about these uber-talented youngers: Does the quality of opposition being so under their current level stunting their development? Could they be even better if they were surrounded by other kids that were closer to their levels? Obviously, I'm sure theres ethical problems (as well as strenght and size issues) with playing such youngsters with grown(er) adults (ie a 15 years old against 20 years olds?), but could they benefit from the increase in play level? (is the MHL 16-20 years olds like the CHL?). Looking forward to see how fast he makes the KHL :P

Maybe it's because he's so young (and I don't really watch elite U16 hockey often), but his shots seems weird to me. Like the angle he shots and how it enters the net, looks like a ball floating in the air (not a knock or a praise, just an observation).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Except, no? Even last season Michkov was absolutely dominant in top tier international games. Bedard's not even played a game of such international hockey. Michkov's achievements just are on an entirely different level. All Bedard's done is perform similarly to Matthew Savoie at the CSSHL, and Savoie ended up being brickwalled by WHL.

So because Bedard has less exposure, he is less good?

As I said, Michkov could very well end up better, but it's just not fair to judge right now until both play at a relevant level.

Russia U16 and CSSHL are not a relevant level. MHL and WHL would be, but we have info for one and not the other.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So because Bedard has less exposure, he is less good?

As I said, Michkov could very well end up better, but it's just not fair to judge right now until both play at a relevant level.

Russia U16 and CSSHL are not a relevant level. MHL and WHL would be, but we have info for one and not the other.

Bedard has started playing J20 in Sweden making his debut today . We’ll be better able to compare them now . If Bedard has a hard time over there it will be due to the culture adjustment that Russian forwards normally have to deal with when coming to North America. We can therefore say Bedard came over too early if Michkov ends up better :sarcasm:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Ok so I just looked a youtube highlight video, man are people in the comments toxic, it's kind of hilarious :laugh: Personally that just raised the question about these uber-talented youngers: Does the quality of opposition being so under their current level stunting their development? Could they be even better if they were surrounded by other kids that were closer to their levels? Obviously, I'm sure theres ethical problems (as well as strenght and size issues) with playing such youngsters with grown(er) adults (ie a 15 years old against 20 years olds?), but could they benefit from the increase in play level? (is the MHL 16-20 years olds like the CHL?). Looking forward to see how fast he makes the KHL :P

Maybe it's because he's so young (and I don't really watch elite U16 hockey often), but his shots seems weird to me. Like the angle he shots and how it enters the net, looks like a ball floating in the air (not a knock or a praise, just an observation).
It's nearly impossible to have those kids in a perfect environment. They are too good for their peers, but can't play against men yet as they are not ready physically. The junior leagues like the MHL and CHL are the best solution available. The level they were playing on before that was obviously not challenging enough as they could score multiple goals per game with ease. Those junior leagues though are a good mix of older players. Some are 16-17, the further iun their development 19-20 year olds are a good challenge.

If Michkov makes the KHL at 16 that would be a first. But if he crushes the MHL, then why not at least give it a try?

Reactions: abo9

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Looks like Bedard will play in swedish juniors for now starting today. So this thread actually gets something to holywar about:laugh:

Inb4 weirdest league comparisons MHL vs. J20 SuperElit swedish junior hockey league.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Looks like Bedard will play in swedish juniors for now starting today. So this thread actually gets something to holywar about:laugh:

Inb4 weirdest league comparisons MHL vs. J20 SuperElit swedish junior hockey league.
Is this confirmed? John Paddock stated pretty clearly that Bedard would not be playing any games while in Sweden. If this is true, that is awesome news and I am pumped to see how he does.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is this confirmed? John Paddock stated pretty clearly that Bedard would not be playing any games while in Sweden. If this is true, that is awesome news and I am pumped to see how he does.
Go to the Bedard thread. Thee are already tweets from his first game coming in.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Michkov is doing some great things in the MHL but he is almost a year older then Bedard so keep that in mind.

Another 2004 Russian I heard about was Ivan Miroshnichenko and he was supposed to play for Muskegon in the USHL this year

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
I think if Michkov was Canadian he would get the Crosby/Mcdavid hype. What he has done so far in the MHL is nothing short of spectacular. But he is still young so much can happen, but it looks like he has a bright future for sure.

Reactions: alexgreeen

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He is 15, BUT

No doubt the other 2 guys are ignored by the NHL draft guys who will develop much better in Russia and turn into......

but back to the thread, the fact of the matter is that it's way too early to tell but I went Bedard as he is the better skater right now but it can really turn out either way

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Id say Michkov, both electric players.

Only concern id have with Bedard is with the circumstances of his bantam team being booted out multiple schools. Which again could have just been related to his teammates not him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No doubt the other 2 guys are ignored by the NHL draft guys who will develop much better in Russia and turn into......

but back to the thread, the fact of the matter is that it's way too early to tell but I went Bedard as he is the better skater right now but it can really turn out either way
No doubt you inored some facts as usual to make that statement about development.

Unlike in the CHL 19 and even some 17-18 year olds have the opportunity to move up to men's leagues and they do. Some permanently, some temporarily.

I.e. usually the top talented guys either lead the MHL at age 18- or are already in the VHL or KHL. 19-20 year olds who lead the MHL usualy are a bit worse prospects. That does not negate the fact that they are 4-5 years older than Michkov and should be outscoring him with one arm bound behind their back. I.e. unless he is that good at 15.

This is also exactly the part of discussion whether Michkov should be considered for WJC. Most of the squad will be KHLers and VHLers, who have already surpassed the league he is playing in so successfully.

In the CHL on the other hand those top prospects would stay longer and score absurd numbers as they progress. It doesn't mean the CHL is any bad for development for canadian players. For them that's the usual, comfortable development path.

And btw, you made an early choice without enough evidence and sample size because you are biased. As always. I didn't.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And btw, you made an early choice without enough evidence and sample size because you are biased. As always. I didn't.

Is this an attempt at humor. it is well known about your "position" on Russian prospects so maybe don't throw any stones in that glass house of yours.

What I said is that

If there is any bias its my assertion that it's way too early to tell and one guy has been playing meaningful games for a while now while the other hasn't whish makes it even more difficult.

Perhaps we should all wait and see.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is this an attempt at humor. it is well known about your "position" on Russian prospects so maybe don't throw any stones in that glass house of yours.

What I said is that

If there is any bias its my assertion that it's way too early to tell and one guy has been playing meaningful games for a while now while the other hasn't whish makes it even more difficult.

Perhaps we should all wait and see.
My position on russian prospects is far more knowledgeable than yours. Is that why you have a problem with it?

And yes, you have, because you had to write that post of yours in this thread which is actually unrelated.

If it is too early to tell in your opinion, why "going Bedard"? You did.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
My position on russian prospects is far more knowledgeable than yours. Is that why you have a problem with it?

It most certainly is but it also is well known (one only has to look at ANY Russian prospect who moves elsewhere for development ) to see a nationalistic bias on your part.

And yes, you have, because you had to write that post of yours in this thread which is actually unrelated.

Perhaps something got lost in translation here as I have no idea about what you are referring to here

If it is too early to tell in your opinion, why "going Bedard"? You did.

I also stated as to why , he is a better all around skater at this point, how they end up is still to be determined.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
both are exceptional players, in my personal opinion Bedard is better because he has a more complete game than Michkov, which isnt a knock on Michkov but more a complement to Bedard

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It most certainly is but it also is well known (one only has to look at ANY Russian prospect who moves elsewhere for development ) to see a nationalistic bias on your part.

Perhaps something got lost in translation here as I have no idea about what you are referring to here

I also stated as to why , he is a better all around skater at this point, how they end up is still to be determined.
See, you jump the gun with "nationalistic bias". Explain to me why wanting a better development for mz fellow Russians is "nationalistic", a "bias" or both?

You also lie about "ANY" and "elsewhere". There is my post history, you know.

You had to wrrite that somehow,

just to further your holywar on my opinion about russian prospects development, while this thread is dedicated to comapring two prospects. I don't wnat to now why, but my opinion bothers you that much.

I am okay with givving them both players grades while there is not enough substance to work with on Bedard, I fibt it exteremly to premature to answer the OP question.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
both are exceptional players, in my personal opinion Bedard is better because he has a more complete game than Michkov, which isnt a knock on Michkov but more a complement to Bedard
Could you please explain? I am just interested, because earlier people told here: "Whenever I've watched Bedard he seems like the worst puckhog ever and will stickhandle himself out of possession when there are A1 passing lanes he could've set people up for tap ins".
Do you mean that he is more two-way player than Michkov? As far as I remember, Michkov played PK in the U16 championship.

The most interesing here is to hear people who saw both players. Hope that we will find someone in this thread.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Could you please explain? I am just interested, because earlier people told here: "Whenever I've watched Bedard he seems like the worst puckhog ever and will stickhandle himself out of possession when there are A1 passing lanes he could've set people up for tap ins".
Do you mean that he is more two-way player than Michkov? As far as I remember, Michkov played PK in the U16 championship.

The most interesing here is to hear people who saw both players. Hope that we will find someone in this thread.
Yes, Bedard has a better 200 foot game in my opinion than Michkov, and is a better skater. And just because he [Michkov] played on the PK, doesn't exactly mean he's good at defense. John Carlson has played on the PK in the NHL, and lets just say his defense isnt spectacular. Idk where the f*** the Bedard puckhog narrative came from, I havent seen that in my time watching him. When I watch either both are just phenomenal players and are definitely ahead of any of their competition, I just think that because even though Bedard has nowhere near the insane shot Michkov has, his still elite offensive IQ + his better 200 ft game makes him the overall better player. Both are amazing regardless. If someone could give me multiple examples of Bedard being the puckhog and not passing when there are very easy passing lanes avaliable, please show them to me and that could change my mind

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, Bedard has a better 200 foot game in my opinion than Michkov, and is a better skater. And just because he [Michkov] played on the PK, doesn't exactly mean he's good at defense. John Carlson has played on the PK in the NHL, and lets just say his defense isnt spectacular. Idk where the f*** the Bedard puckhog narrative came from, I havent seen that in my time watching him. When I watch either both are just phenomenal players and are definitely ahead of any of their competition, I just think that because even though Bedard has nowhere near the insane shot Michkov has, his still elite offensive IQ + his better 200 ft game makes him the overall better player. Both are amazing regardless. If someone could give me multiple examples of Bedard being the puckhog and not passing when there are very easy passing lanes avaliable, please show them to me and that could change my mind
Really? And here I've been hearing about Bedard's generational shot. Very interesting.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad