Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

Hockey Man

Jun 21, 2019
Right now I would have to go with michkov seeing as he is the only one playing. In turn we know how he is adapting to more difficult competition. Granted I haven’t seen enough of either prospect.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Whenever I've watched Bedard he seems like the worst puckhog ever and will stickhandle himself out of possession when there are A1 passing lanes he could've set people up for tap ins. Idk if this is common of players of his calibre at the level he was playing at, his coaches perhaps instruct him to play like this but his hockey IQ looked abysmal.

Reactions: SwedishFire

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
All I know is I look forward to being inside the arena in Novosibirsk, Russia on January 5, 2023 when Canada and Russia faceoff in the final and Michkov and Bedard go head to head.

Should be a dooooooozy!!!

And each tournament I've been to in Russia, Canada has won Gold. So hoping this continues :)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
All I know is I look forward to being inside the arena in Novosibirsk, Russia on January 5, 2023 when Canada and Russia faceoff in the final and Michkov and Bedard go head to head.

Should be a dooooooozy!!!

And each tournament I've been to in Russia, Canada has won Gold. So hoping this continues :)

Ah, sheeet. The World Juniors in my home town with Michkov on team Russia. I'm there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Probably would be a great idea to wait until Bedard has some results in an actual hockey league, WHL or something. At this point in time, Michkov's achievements are way ahead, but Bedard's skillset theoretically might have more potential if the quality's high enough.

Some significant possibilities that Bedard's way overrated right now, Michkov is a million times more proven.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Im actually somewhat surprised at the poll so far. I wouldve thought there may have been a little bias there. What Michkov is doing now is insane. It will be interesting to see how Bedard adapts to the dub where he cant stickhandle through everybody

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Anyone know how Bedard compares to top 2004 fellow North Americans? Has he ever played with/against them? Because none of these guys were in the same universe as Michkov at last year's Youth Olympic Games. This includes guys like Savoie, Fantilli and our entire NTDP-U17 squad.

Reactions: CanuckCity

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
woah isn't the MHL the equivalent of CHL in Russia? And Michkov was ppg (almost 1g/g) in it at 14????

sounds like insanity

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Whenever I've watched Bedard he seems like the worst puckhog ever and will stickhandle himself out of possession when there are A1 passing lanes he could've set people up for tap ins. Idk if this is common of players of his calibre at the level he was playing at, his coaches perhaps instruct him to play like this but his hockey IQ looked abysmal.

That's actually exactly the way Michkov played in U16 league (yeah, all those goals, but Bedard scored a lot as well, and vs older oppponents). He's different in the MHL. I bet Bedard will change as well.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
That's actually exactly the way Michkov played in U16 league (yeah, all those goals, but Bedard scored a lot as well, and vs older oppponents). He's different in the MHL. I bet Bedard will change as well.
I don’t watch much hockey in this age group so it may be really common for talents like that to play that way, that’s what Scouching told me anyway. But he’s the kind of player who would piss me off as a line mate

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
I haven’t seen enough of either but everyone saying Michkov and it’s not even close. Bedard had 43G 41A in 36 games in one of the best U18 leagues in Canada as a 14 year old last year. I’d see he’s proven himself against older competition to this point.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I haven’t seen enough of either but everyone saying Michkov and it’s not even close. Bedard had 43G 41A in 36 games in one of the best U18 leagues in Canada as a 14 year old last year. I’d see he’s proven himself against older competition to this point.
Looks impressive. Sorry for asking but is Bedard a Wing or a center. Cause Michkov is a wing, if they play different positions it would be even more difficult to compare both players.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Michkov right now is nearly a gpg player in the MHL and a 1.31 ppg as a 15 year old, following a season where he scored 70 goals in 26 games and produced more than 4 ppg in Russia's U-16 league last season. I can't even begin to put in to words how absurd his current season is. Amirov just went 15th overall in a very deep first round producing 1.29 ppg AS A DRAFT ELIGIBLE 18 YEAR OLD.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Michkov right now is nearly a gpg player in the MHL and a 1.31 ppg as a 15 year old, following a season where he scored 70 goals in 26 games and produced more than 4 ppg in Russia's U-16 league last season. I can't even begin to put in to words how absurd his current season is. Amirov just went 15th overall in a very deep first round producing 1.29 ppg AS A DRAFT ELIGIBLE 18 YEAR OLD.

Thing is we have no recent scouting on Bedard as he has yet to play this year. Michkov is proving to be a terrific junior player, but Bedard has yet to have an opportunity to show what he can do at a similar level.

Russia U-16 doesn't seem to be that great of a talent predictor. The two other players going over 4 ppg in that league last year did not make it to the MHL yet. All-time leaders are not that impressive either. Some good names, but many meh.

Again, Michkov is a great talent, but I think recency bias is overwhelming there.

Reactions: wetcoast

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thing is we have no recent scouting on Bedard as he has yet to play this year. Michkov is proving to be a terrific junior player, but Bedard has yet to have an opportunity to show what he can do at a similar level.

Russia U-16 doesn't seem to be that great of a talent predictor. The two other players going over 4 ppg in that league last year did not make it to the MHL yet. All-time leaders are not that impressive either. Some good names, but many meh.

Again, Michkov is a great talent, but I think recency bias is overwhelming there.

Russian U16 leagues have different tiers, and the only other player, who ever had over 4 PPG in a tier1 league, was Andrey Svechnikov, who still played in a worse regional league (Volga zone is considered behind Moscow one) and was older, than Michkov.

Russian Tier1 leagues are: Moscow, Ural/Siberia, Volga and North West (mostly S.-Petersburg).

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Except, no? Even last season Michkov was absolutely dominant in top tier international games. Bedard's not even played a game of such international hockey. Michkov's achievements just are on an entirely different level. All Bedard's done is perform similarly to Matthew Savoie at the CSSHL, and Savoie ended up being brickwalled by WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad