WJC: Congrats Russia

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
That was an unbelievable effort for the Russians. One that you could almost make a movie about!

We Canadians often talk about aspects of our hockey players that we're truly proud of: heart, guts, passion... Russia showed all of those in spades.

They outworked Canada, outwanted Canada. They played that "Canadian" style of hockey and came out as the deserved victors.

Watching their big guns Tarasenko, Kitsyn, Kuznetsov, etc. go to work in the third period is something I won't soon forget.

Sweden had the congrats note on their team door. It didn't work out for the Swedes (so they'd have to eat crow that way), but their coach was right when he made his comments... The Russians were better.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Thank you to team Russia for making this another fantastic tournament. Congratulations.

There's a bunch of pissed off Canadians and Americans that can't wait to see you again next year :cry:

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
You can't get 6+ games worth of effort like we seen from our kids, from professional teams. I don't know what made Cameron think a bunch of teenagers could do it for 7. Way to go Cameron, you horrible jackass. That's exactly what it looks like when your team runs out of gas after giving 6+ games worth of constant crash and bang, puck possession effort.

Then his solution is to back off against Russia of all teams??? All the borecheck hockey in the world isn't gonna reverse that kind of momentum if your team's so tired and beat up that they have to change after every defensive stand because they don't have the legs to play a proper transition game. Good thing we expended all that energy in the offensive zone running up the Czech's and Norway when we knew it would take 60 min. efforts in the knockout rounds.

We deserved to get the piss kicked out of us tonight because we played stupid, inefficient hockey all tournament. You could see it coming in the 2nd and even as far back as spots in the 2nd and 3rd periods of the USA game. Sure was fun to watch while it lasted though, am I right...just not as fun as gold.

Russia beat us fair and square, and they just proved that running up other teams early in a tournament like this is a waste of effort and moreover, it's pretty disrespectful. Maybe the IIHF finally needs to look at changing their round robin tie breaker rules. It's really not fun for anybody this way.

Lesson learned? Probably not. Canada's solution will end up being to bring in a Sutter to coach the kids next year in Alberta. When working hard fails, just work harder; right old schools ;) God forbid we ever work smarter.

Congrats Russia! Ya'll played one hell of a 3rd period and not much else. Let's not forget that flyer ya'll got against Sweden; what a joke lol! ;) That's my sour grapes quota for the year.

Congrats to Russia for realz.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Congrats to team Russia! :)

On the other note. Boys definitely went overboard with swears... That was bad! At first we were laughing, but than we wanted to change the channel. :shakehead Good thing was that most of the viewrs didn't get it.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
You can't get 6+ games worth of effort like we seen from our kids, from professional teams. I don't know what made Cameron think a bunch of teenagers could do it for 7. Way to go Cameron, you horrible jackass. That's exactly what it looks like when your team runs out of gas after giving 6+ games worth of constant crash and bang, puck possession effort.

Then his solution is to back off against Russia of all teams??? All the borecheck hockey in the world isn't gonna reverse that kind of momentum if your team's so tired and beat up that they have to change after every defensive stand because they don't have the legs to play a proper transition game. Good thing we expended all that energy in the offensive zone running up the Czech's and Norway when we knew it would take 60 min. efforts in the knockout rounds.

We deserved to get the piss kicked out of us tonight because we played stupid, inefficient hockey all tournament. You could see it coming in the 2nd and even as far back as spots in the 2nd and 3rd periods of the USA game. Sure was fun to watch while it lasted though, am I right...just not as fun as gold.

Russia beat us fair and square, and they just proved that running up other teams early in a tournament like this is a waste of effort and moreover, it's pretty disrespectful. Maybe the IIHF finally needs to look at changing their round robin tie breaker rules. It's really not fun for anybody this way.

Lesson learned? Probably not. Canada's solution will end up being to bring in a Sutter to coach the kids next year in Alberta. When working hard fails, just work harder; right old schools ;) God forbid we ever work smarter.

Congrats Russia! Ya'll played one hell of a 3rd period and not much else. Let's not forget that flyer ya'll got against Sweden; what a joke lol! ;) That's my sour grapes quota for the year.

Congrats to Russia for realz.

don;t forget your team was one period away from the win. Expierence, swelfishness of Schenn and others, weak defense in the 3rd brought you to this.

Fulcrum

That was an unbelievable effort for the Russians. One that you could almost make a movie about!

We Canadians often talk about aspects of our hockey players that we're truly proud of: heart, guts, passion... Russia showed all of those in spades.

They outworked Canada, outwanted Canada. They played that "Canadian" style of hockey and came out as the deserved victors.

I appreciate what you intend to say. But at the same time, please don't label the Russian team as playing "Canadian" style of hockey . If anything - its the Russian style - "the tougher it's for us, the better it's for us". That's an actual saying in Russia and they stuck to it the whole tournament.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Like I said in GDT: after mandatory 1st period banging / grabbing the lead, Canada ran out of gas, like they always do in the 3rd. The difference this time was that Russia actually showed some uncharacteristic (I give you that) character and balls of titanium. Plus solid coaching. But Canada should have seen it coming. Russia already did that twice before.

They did embarrass me with the cursing though. Oh well, not much different than yelling: "It's our game!!!"

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Yes I am very pleased we lost. It put a lot of people in there place. Excuses will be all over the papers tomorrow and I'm sure the chowderheads at TSN/Sportsnet will come up with there own. Thank you russia for beating this country hahahaahahahaa! I know I'm not the only canadian enjoying this.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes I am very pleased we lost. It put a lot of people in there place. Excuses will be all over the papers tomorrow and I'm sure the chowderheads at TSN/Sportsnet will come up with there own. Thank you russia for beating this country hahahaahahahaa! I know I'm not the only canadian enjoying this.

Well, personally I don't find it as harsh when you lose to a team that clearly deserved to win. Hats off.

When Fleury banked it off the American player in that past finals, that was a facepalm nauseous moment.

This was more of a "slowly watching a car drive into a tree and being unable to stop it" kind of deal.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Congrats Russia. Coming from a Canadian, you played harder and wanted it more tonight.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
don;t forget your team was one period away from the win. Expierence, swelfishness of Schenn and others, weak defense in the 3rd brought you to this.

No disputing the truth. Russia took the best Canada had to offer for the majority of the game and in the end, your guys endured to really put an ass whippin' on us when it mattered most. Pretty much the story of your tournament: Russia never went away because they're tough as hell.

Can't wait until next year when the tournament's in my home town. It's a lottery to get tickets, but hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to get a Canada v Russia game if it goes down that way. I think most Canadians feel like our rivalry with the USA is the premier match up for us, but for me it's our classic rivalry with Russia that I get cranked up for.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Full marks to the Russians, so much fight in this team you have to admire them. Tarasenko and Kuznetzov were dominant, just sick players.

Can't wait for Calgary/Edmonton next year.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Kuznetzov impressed me alot, haven't seen much Russian games apart from those againt Sweden. But he played really good this game.

Mats Näslund talked about him before this tournament and gave a "heads up" about this player.

-edit-
at least i think it was Mats Näslund that said that. My memory is weak.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Great tournament by the Russians. Never gave up. Kuznetsov is an amazing player. I don't think anyone can question the heart of this team as they just kept coming and coming and coming.

Zeroknowledge*

Great tournament by the Russians. Never gave up. Kuznetsov is an amazing player. I don't think anyone can question the heart of this team as they just kept coming and coming and coming.

Nobody questions the heart of Russians when they represent Russia, but representing their NHL clubs, now, that is a different story(at least for a vast amount of them).

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
All this "heart" stuff is just for making news and income for the media. Most intelligent people don't believe any country has more hearts guts, etc than any other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad