WJC: Congrats Russia

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I have to spell it out for you? Yeah Russia deserves all the credit in the world for that win, but to be "very happy" they won at the expense of your own country? Ok then.

It's a sport. Canada loses nothing from this loss, and if they had won they would gain nothing. Our country does not get worse since we lost or doesn't improve if we had won. This tournament is meaningless. All it is, is entertainment.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
It's true that the Canadians collapsed, and played just terrible defense, but those Russian goals were just highlight real plays as well. Historic win.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Nobody questions the heart of Russians when they represent Russia, but representing their NHL clubs, now, that is a different story(at least for a vast amount of them).

That isn't true. There was good reason to question the heart of the last few Russian teams at both the WJC and Olympic level (which is all NAs care about). They were skilled teams that performed far worse then they probably should have. But this team was different. After every one of their last 3 games they were about as jubilant as any team that I have seen. They fought back each time with hard work and a ton of character, especially from their top players.

Lets face it, heart doesn't belong to one nation or another, but some teams have it and some don't. This Russian team did and frankly, as a hockey fan, its nice to see a Russian team playing like that at the WJC, because its been a few years since they really brought like they can. Hopefully, it will continue, because it makes the tournament all the more competitive.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
That isn't true. There was good reason to question the heart of the last few Russian teams at both the WJC and Olympic level (which is all NAs care about). They were skilled teams that performed far worse then they probably should have. But this team was different. After every one of their last 3 games they were about as jubilant as any team that I have seen. They fought back each time with hard work and a ton of character, especially from their top players.

Lets face it, heart doesn't belong to one nation or another, but some teams have it and some don't. This Russian team did and frankly, as a hockey fan, its nice to see a Russian team playing like that at the WJC, because its been a few years since they really brought like they can. Hopefully, it will continue, because it makes the tournament all the more competitive.

I totally agree. It's refreshing so see team Russia compete this hard.

AO

Feb 7, 2007
Raleigh
but I naively though that "heart" was a racial trait inherent to all canadians and exclusive to euros, especially the dirty ruskies!

Canada can keep it's "style" of gooning it up. I appreciate players like hall and skinner, why the hell didn't they take those two at least? How do you win if you don't score?

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Like others have said, this is what Rönnberg said all along: Russia was a more difficult opponent to play then Canada. In the end, it proved to be a prediction for the winner of the tournament.

Even still, i thought Canada would sweep this until the russians stepped up in the 2nd period. I must admit though that i have never seen a canadian team fold like this one. All the talk about canadians heart automatically being bigger then any other nationalities wen't out of the window after this one.

Congratulations to Russia! They came back from deficits three games in a row. They are worthy tournament winners, and i hope that this generation of russian players prove to be bigger winners then the ones we are currently watching in the NHL.

AO

Feb 7, 2007
Raleigh
i hope that this generation of russian players prove to be bigger winners then the ones we are currently watching in the NHL.

I can't name one nhl russian who doesn't play hard, even the maligned semin does whether people who don't bother watching games admit it or not. exception is kovalchuk at times. Only seems that way because he wants to score so badly, and breakaways are pretty decent scoring chances.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I'm Canadian too but I am very happy for Mother Russia!

It simply isn't good when one country dominates a sport as Canada has done with Hockey...its better for the sport to spread the wins around and in that vein of thinking, I am very happy for Russia...

Great Mother Russia...Home of Gogol, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Tchaikovsky and now the Gold Medal Junior Hockey Champs!!

Well done!

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I can't name one nhl russian who doesn't play hard, even the maligned semin does whether people who don't bother watching games admit it or not. exception is kovalchuk at times. Only seems that way because he wants to score so badly, and breakaways are pretty decent scoring chances.

Well, they may play hard, but they haven't proved to be winners. The only russians in the NHL with a SC-ring is Datsyuk and Kovalev(who hasn't proven anything since the mid 90s), and they really belong to the earlier generation with Fedorov, Zubov, Mogilny, etc. I guess Ovechkin will prove me wrong(i am a huge fan of him by the way) but he will need to lead his team to a SC to do so.

And another thing. Credit must be given to Canada for their passion about this tournament. Without this passion, it wouldn't be as interesting, even though it sometimes leads to the extreme(i.e canadian medias effort to turn swedish coaches comments to trash talk). I hope they continue to hold the tournament in Canada/US since it always draws big crowds. Maybe once in a while we can have it in Europe, but until we get people to watch the games live, i hope Canada/US continue to host it.

Last edited:

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I'm Canadian and as mad that I am that Canada lost, congrats to the Russians, they showed more heart than Canada. Every Jr tournie recently was about Canada v USA, then the Russians come and **** everything. It makes it more exciting for more years to come.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
but I naively though that "heart" was a racial trait inherent to all canadians and exclusive to euros, especially the dirty ruskies!

Canada can keep it's "style" of gooning it up. I appreciate players like hall and skinner, why the hell didn't they take those two at least? How do you win if you don't score?

Did you watch the tournament at all? Canada didn't goon anything up and they turned the other cheek when the Russians started to at the end of the second period.

And Canada didn't take Skinner and Hall because they were playing in the NHL. They would have without a second thought if their teams had released them.

Canada played hard, physical hockey...that isn't the same as gooning it up.

As far as heart goes, AO has been accused of lacking it on a number of occasions. Whether that is fair or not, is a matter of opinion.

HS

May 17, 2006
Well, they may play hard, but they haven't proved to be winners. The only russians in the NHL with a SC-ring is Datsyuk and Kovalev(who hasn't proven anything since the mid 90s), and they really belong to the earlier generation with Fedorov, Zubov, Mogilny, etc. I guess Ovechkin will prove me wrong(i am a huge fan of him by the way) but he will need to lead his team to a SC to do so.

And another thing. Credit must be given to Canada for their passion about this tournament. Without this passion, it wouldn't be as interesting, even though it sometimes leads to the extreme(i.e canadian medias effort to turn swedish coaches comments to trash talk). I hope they continue to hold the tournament in Canada/US since it always draws big crowds. Maybe once in a while we can have it in Europe, but until we get people to watch the games live, i hope Canada/US continue to host it.

I think you've forgot one recent Conn Smythe winner, among others. Not to mention that Datsyuk is not from the Fedorov-Kovalev generation.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010

Little advice: when you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't talk; it tends to expose your stupidity. I'm going to assume you have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll break it down for you. Hall and Skinner are both under contract with professional clubs, and unless those clubs make them available to play in this tournament (which they chose not to), then there's absolutely nothing Canada's WJ program can do about it; those players weren't made available for selection.

As far as our alleged scoring deficiencies go: last I heard we were the highest scoring team in the tournament by quite a bit. That has nothing to do with why Russia beat us tonight. Get a clue before you go and pop off all willy nilly.

Enjoy that bronze. Maybe next year your guys will show up and play with a little back bone. Maybe they could practice competing on the boards for starters and work their way up...bet the team motto this year was: "I wanna go fast", right Ricky Bobby ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad