Proposal: Columbus - Florida

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sure it is, but making the playoffs is more important to Columbus, not getting back a serviceable winger in the deal would probably be the difference

Having 80pts and 30g in the lineup and being able to make some sort of a run is the key

It would suck for him to walk for nothing, but worse to not have any shot for postseason play. This team is trying to learn to win in the postseason...that is most important

Which is going to take awhile if you let him leave next summer.

Would be firing worthy move by Kekalainen if Panarin walks.

Reactions: Laus723

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Could that be, sure...guess it would depend on development of abramov and davidsson...say they take a step forward...panarin scores 30/80-85, cbj win a series finally...panarin walks, a younger abramov comes in and scores 20 as a rookie...davidsson scores 15 in a lesser role...it may work out...

But yes, that's a LOT of ifs...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Sure it is, but making the playoffs is more important to Columbus, not getting back a serviceable winger in the deal would probably be the difference

Having 80pts and 30g in the lineup and being able to make some sort of a run is the key

It would suck for him to walk for nothing, but worse to not have any shot for postseason play. This team is trying to learn to win in the postseason...that is most important
I'm not a Jackets fan,but would bet the team is good enough they make the playoffs,even with someone taking Panarins spot. 30 goals isn't that rare! Maybe the replacement is better defensively!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
question for CBJ fans. Is it worth it to you to lose Panarin for nothing if the Blue Jackets season results in a 2nd round exit?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
question for CBJ fans. Is it worth it to you to lose Panarin for nothing if the Blue Jackets season results in a 2nd round exit?

Two trains of thought

On surface, yes bc we'd hit a milestone

Other side, does winning a series somehow convince panarin that cbj are worth sticking around (it's less the city and more the currently he believes the team cant win...this is me just spitballing

Reactions: Viqsi

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm not a Jackets fan,but would bet the team is good enough they make the playoffs,even with someone taking Panarins spot. 30 goals isn't that rare! Maybe the replacement is better defensively!
he was one of the best defenders period on the team and its not about the goals its about his ability to constantly enter the zone and make plays. We need people with his style more then just a 30g guy.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If the returns are what is being offered yes. If being offered a trocheck take it. The deal has to be at least win win not a get what you can. A winningnseason is better then what ifs and spare parts.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Absolutely: that's at least 4 more home games of playoff revenue. Unless the package we got in exchange for him puts us at or above that, we should keep him.

Reactions: Viqsi

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
he was one of the best defenders period on the team and its not about the goals its about his ability to constantly enter the zone and make plays. We need people with his style more then just a 30g guy.
Ok... I know he is really good...my point remains....get something for him! Is he the difference between a Cup and no cup...I doubt it!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ok... I know he is really good...my point remains....get something for him! Is he the difference between a Cup and no cup...I doubt it!
But playoff experience and a continuing winning culture can be worth much more to us then a 3rd 1st round exit and whatever average return we get. We can draft our own average players and sign depth players in UFA.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
We have plenty of depth forwards. What we don't have are gamebreaking offensive talents, which Panarin is.

Reactions: Fro

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
We have plenty of depth forwards. What we don't have are gamebreaking offensive talents, which Panarin is.

Which makes it real unfortunate if he walks. I don't see a team giving up a Panarin type to get him. Columbus is in a pretty awkward spot where it looks like they're going to be in hockey purgatory. Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to contend.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But playoff experience and a continuing winning culture can be worth much more to us then a 3rd 1st round exit and whatever average return we get. We can draft our own average players and sign depth players in UFA.
If he truly wants out then I wouldn't want that around the dressing room. Can't be a positive vibe! Anyhow, I just wanted to relay the empty feeling when the Leafs got nothing for JVR. They won nothing with him,they got nothing for him!Doesn't make sense to me,but hey,enjoy watching Panarin while you can.Cheers!

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If he truly wants out then I wouldn't want that around the dressing room. Can't be a positive vibe! Anyhow, I just wanted to relay the empty feeling when the Leafs got nothing for JVR. They won nothing with him,they got nothing for him!Doesn't make sense to me,but hey,enjoy watching Panarin while you can.Cheers!
There's a huge difference between Toronto and Columbus. Your fans and management don't have to worry about financial aspects or attracting free agents. Hell, if your ownership would let them, the NHL would put a second team in Toronto because the market can support it. Rabidly.

Columbus is still building a culture. It's a great place for players who want to put down roots and raise their families (hell, doesn't Mark Letestu still have a house in Columbus and plans to retire here? Modin, Foligno, Chris Clark, etc etc. It's a pretty great place for younger guys too, depending on what they're looking for. In a sense, it's a hidden gem and a franchise that's on the upswing. We clearly still need to get the attention of younger players so they stop viewing Columbus as comparable market to Arizona or Buffalo.

We need playoff appearances. We're not in danger of losing the team, but the ownership can definitely use that playoff revenue to show a good return on their investment (especially if we buy out Dubinsky next offseason). For a management group that seems committed to "brick by brick" with the youngest team in the league the last two seasons, another playoff appearance, hopefully with fewer dumb penalties and without Torts' stupid line management, we could be competitive. I don't see the team making the playoffs without Panarin, unless we have huge breakouts from Milano, Duclair, Bjorkstrand, Dubois, Abramov and returns to form from a health Werenski and Wennberg. That's asking a lot.

Also, Panarin is an infinitely better player all around to JVR, though I understand your sentiment.

In any case, I probably wouldn't grumble too hard if Columbus is able to get Borgstrom + 2019 1st from Florida, maybe with a conditional 2020 pick if he resigns. There would probably need to be another roster player coming Columbus' way, solely for cap purposes.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
There's a huge difference between Toronto and Columbus. Your fans and management don't have to worry about financial aspects or attracting free agents. Hell, if your ownership would let them, the NHL would put a second team in Toronto because the market can support it. Rabidly.

Columbus is still building a culture. It's a great place for players who want to put down roots and raise their families (hell, doesn't Mark Letestu still have a house in Columbus and plans to retire here? Modin, Foligno, Chris Clark, etc etc. It's a pretty great place for younger guys too, depending on what they're looking for. In a sense, it's a hidden gem and a franchise that's on the upswing. We clearly still need to get the attention of younger players so they stop viewing Columbus as comparable market to Arizona or Buffalo.

We need playoff appearances. We're not in danger of losing the team, but the ownership can definitely use that playoff revenue to show a good return on their investment (especially if we buy out Dubinsky next offseason). For a management group that seems committed to "brick by brick" with the youngest team in the league the last two seasons, another playoff appearance, hopefully with fewer dumb penalties and without Torts' stupid line management, we could be competitive. I don't see the team making the playoffs without Panarin, unless we have huge breakouts from Milano, Duclair, Bjorkstrand, Dubois, Abramov and returns to form from a health Werenski and Wennberg. That's asking a lot.

Also, Panarin is an infinitely better player all around to JVR, though I understand your sentiment.

In any case, I probably wouldn't grumble too hard if Columbus is able to get Borgstrom + 2019 1st from Florida, maybe with a conditional 2020 pick if he resigns. There would probably need to be another roster player coming Columbus' way, solely for cap purposes.
Thank you ,for the informative response! I 'm thinking Columbus is better than you give them credit for. Of couse the young guys will get better! if a player wants out I say 'dont't let the door hit ya in the ass". Adios,Ciao,Good bye! The only exception for me is your take on Panarin being 'infinitely better'? really ?. Different style of player to be sure ! However,I'm willing to bet JVR has more goals per game since Panarin has entered the league and thats with Bozak as his center!
There are some very nice pieces on that team, good coaltending,decent leadership....get the bread man oughta there before he causes a yeast infection!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thank you ,for the informative response! I 'm thinking Columbus is better than you give them credit for. Of couse the young guys will get better! if a player wants out I say 'dont't let the door hit ya in the ass". Adios,Ciao,Good bye! The only exception for me is your take on Panarin being 'infinitely better'? really ?. Different style of player to be sure ! However,I'm willing to bet JVR has more goals per game since Panarin has entered the league and thats with Bozak as his center!
There are some very nice pieces on that team, good coaltending,decent leadership....get the bread man oughta there before he causes a yeast infection!
Hockey is much more than scoring goals.

Panarin can lead a team on both ends of the ice, his defensive play is extremely underrated and his ability to be a teams go to guy puts him a tier above JVR.

Also, since Panarin has entered the league, he's scored 88(24PP) goals to JVRs 79(22PP). And since Panarin has come into the league he's never scored less than 70 pts, even when he went from championship contender in Chicago to a young team with no all Star offensive talent, he broke 80.

Meanwhile Jvr hasn't once hit 70. They are not comparable players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackets16 and Fro

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hockey is much more than scoring goals.

Panarin can lead a team on both ends of the ice, his defensive play is extremely underrated and his ability to be a teams go to guy puts him a tier above JVR.

Also, since Panarin has entered the league, he's scored 88(24PP) goals to JVRs 79(22PP). And since Panarin has come into the league he's never scored less than 70 pts, even when he went from championship contender in Chicago to a young team with no all Star offensive talent, he broke 80.

Meanwhile Jvr hasn't once hit 70. They are not comparable players.
I get it ,you love Panarin! However ,to be clear... firstly, my comparison was goals per game....and yes a 'tier ' above is not 'infinite'. . Also,these comparisons of player ability are secondary to the point I made(and this will be the last time I make it)...Letting Panarin walk is Dumb! Reason being, he is not the difference between a cup or no cup! Also,he wants out! Don't let your emotions cloud the big picture!

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Thats actually a good offer from Florida. Good value on both sides. Maybe a small + coming back to Columbus.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Not at all.

They're going all in and ownership is committed to Kekalainen even if Panarin leaves.

If anything, ownership's stance is that the team taking a major step backwards this season would be a firing offense. They're really counting on making the playoffs again.

I do not think Kekalainen has the ok to trade Panarin for futures.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I get it ,you love Panarin! However ,to be clear... firstly, my comparison was goals per game....and yes a 'tier ' above is not 'infinite'. . Also,these comparisons of player ability are secondary to the point I made(and this will be the last time I make it)...Letting Panarin walk is Dumb! Reason being, he is not the difference between a cup or no cup! Also,he wants out! Don't let your emotions cloud the big picture!

Let me ask you this. If your team could get Panarin for free (not having to give up assets) for next season, but then he would become a free agent after the season, would you do it? Because that is the way I look at if for Columbus, unless a team wants to make a legit, quality offer. I'd much rather have one of the best players in the NHL for a year than a couple of average assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad