Proposal: Columbus - Florida

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Would a package around a 26-29 y.o. 50-60pt LW, center prospect ready as soon as next year, and a first for a signed Panarin make sense? I know CBJ needs talent to replace Panarin if they are to trade him before the season starts, they aren’t really interested in futures, and need center help down the line.

If it does, then what team has that while also being competitive enough to get Panarin to re-sign, and is okay with only upgrading whatever the difference between the leaving LW and Panarin instead of just waiting?

I agree that Huberdeau+ seems like too much from FLA’s perspective, but it’s definitely the kind of package CBJ should be pushing for at this point if they aren’t afraid to hold him until the TDL (and have his value be greatly diminished due to no S&T, remaining term, and number of buyers).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Would a package around a 26-29 y.o. 50-60pt LW, center prospect ready as soon as next year, and a first for a signed Panarin make sense? I know CBJ needs talent to replace Panarin if they are to trade him before the season starts, they aren’t really interested in futures, and need center help down the line.

If it does, then what team has that while also being competitive enough to get Panarin to re-sign, and is okay with only upgrading whatever the difference between the leaving LW and Panarin instead of just waiting?

I agree that Huberdeau+ seems like too much from FLA’s perspective, but it’s definitely the kind of package CBJ should be pushing for at this point if they aren’t afraid to hold him until the TDL (and have his value be greatly diminished due to no S&T, remaining term, and number of buyers).
I agree that's what it should take and also that no team will give it.

Which is why I and a number of other CBJ fans in this thread have said that they're perfectly fine with just keeping him for the year and letting him go at the end of the season. The immediate loss of trading him away right now is too high to warrant trading him for what he would likely return.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

If you're asking if we'd accept Jaden Schwartz, Robert Thomas, and a 1st so STL has Panarin and Tarasenko for the foreseeable future, the answer is probably yes.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If you're asking if we'd accept Jaden Schwartz, Robert Thomas, and a 1st so STL has Panarin and Tarasenko for the foreseeable future, the answer is probably yes.
I'd probably do that. Gets him out west while maintaining our ability to compete for a playoff spot now and into the future with multiple kids pushing for a roster spot on both offense and defense

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
In a vacuum, I’d do that, but the Blues don’t need the difference between Schwartz and Panarin as much as we need Robert Thomas. Realistically, the Blues management likely wouldn’t want to trade Schwartz for intangible reasons. If the Blues are to be involved it will be centered around futures, and more likely at the TDL - if not just in FA.

Also, Schwartz has paced at higher than 60pts if you account for injury. Perhaps Schwartz+, but that + wouldn’t be Thomas.

Last edited:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
In a vacuum, I’d do that, but the Blues don’t need the difference between Schwartz and Panarin as much as we need Robert Thomas. Realistically, the Blues management likely wouldn’t want to trade Schwartz for intangible reasons. If the Blues are to be involved it will be centered around futures, and more likely at the TDL - if not just in FA.

Also, Schwartz has paced at higher than 60pts if you account for injury. Perhaps Schwartz+, but that + wouldn’t be Thomas.
Oh absolutely you're right. I was trying to piece together the deal you were implying in your last post.

As a Jackets fan, I'd be very happy with Schwartz + STL 2019 1st (because it will probably be real late with the addition of Bread).

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Oh absolutely you're right. I was trying to piece together the deal you were implying in your last post.

As a Jackets fan, I'd be very happy with Schwartz + STL 2019 1st (because it will probably be real late with the addition of Bread).

No 2019 1st this year for the Blues :)

I’d love to have Panarin on the team. I’m a huge fan and screamed at my Chicago family when they originally got him. “Hey, we got this Pan-a-run guy, is he any good?”. I had been hoping the Blues would be smart enough to listen to Tarasenko and that’s how I got the news. They had no idea what they were getting. The guy is a complete player with speed, one of the best shots in the league, and is one of the best drivers of play in the league. His RHS has been sorely missed in STL since he came to the league and he would work wonders for our power play.

Unfortunately for the Blues, we don’t have a spare 2nd line winger to throw your way in a deal. That makes the cap difficult to even get a futures package worked out.

We will have to be patient. Best case scenario for both clubs might be that he stays the year in CBJ and takes them deep in the playoffs. I’ve always liked CBJ (minus the stupid cannon and AC/DC goal song) due to the fans on here. I’ll like them even more as they transition away from Dubinsky. Go Jackets.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think St. Louis is on Panarin's radar right now for a re-sign despite having Tarasenko. They are probably in the same pool as Columbus.

It would likely be wisest for St. Louis to wait until next offseason and try to convince him to sign there as a free agent.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
While I agree with my Columbus cohorts that the team doesn't plunge back into the depths of lottery hell if they lose Panarin, I disagree that riding this out and letting Panarin walk for nothing is an acceptable outcome.

Columbus isn't the type of organization that can waste a valuable asset in that way. That sucks, but that's the hand that's been dealt. Prime free agents aren't walking through that door, nor are high draft picks (thankfully, since the Jackets have played well for a few years now). Panarin is valuable (arguably HIGHLY valuable). He has to be turned into something. If he isn't and you don't win the Cup I'd argue it's pretty bad negligence on Jarmo's part.

At some point you have to look at all the deals on the table and take the one that makes the most sense (ideally one that helps both short term and long term). If that means this season doesn't turn out as well as it could, so be it.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
While I agree with my Columbus cohorts that the team doesn't plunge back into the depths of lottery hell
I think there is a disconnect with the term lottery. The current rules dictate that any team that misses the playoffs is in the lottery. The Panthers despite finishing one point behind Columbus last year were a "lottery" team. Obviously there is a difference between being a team with a 10% chance of winning and a 1.1% chance, but the term still applies to both.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think there is a disconnect with the term lottery. The current rules dictate that any team that misses the playoffs is in the lottery. The Panthers despite finishing one point behind Columbus last year were a "lottery" team. Obviously there is a difference between being a team with a 10% chance of winning and a 1.1% chance, but the term still applies to both.

Hence the words "depths of" and "hell" surrounding the word lottery. My point being -- I don't think Columbus turns to garbage (let's say bottom 8 team?) without Panarin. They were good before he arrived and I think they will still be good after he departs, especially if a trade return included immediate help.

Reactions: Xoggz22

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
While I agree with my Columbus cohorts that the team doesn't plunge back into the depths of lottery hell if they lose Panarin, I disagree that riding this out and letting Panarin walk for nothing is an acceptable outcome.

Columbus isn't the type of organization that can waste a valuable asset in that way. That sucks, but that's the hand that's been dealt. Prime free agents aren't walking through that door, nor are high draft picks (thankfully, since the Jackets have played well for a few years now). Panarin is valuable (arguably HIGHLY valuable). He has to be turned into something. If he isn't and you don't win the Cup I'd argue it's pretty bad negligence on Jarmo's part.

At some point you have to look at all the deals on the table and take the one that makes the most sense (ideally one that helps both short term and long term). If that means this season doesn't turn out as well as it could, so be it.

I think what some of you don’t understand is riding his skill to either 1) the trade deadline when they can still turn him into assets OR 2) a playoff run is not at all having him walk for nothing.

Can you truly argue that it would help the Jackets moving him for 99% of these proposals that are futures and not even great futures?

Again, there is no point moving him right now for less than a young player who can replace some of his production. The days of them being a bottom feeder are long gone.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think what some of you don’t understand is riding his skill to either 1) the trade deadline when they can still turn him into assets OR 2) a playoff run is not at all having him walk for nothing.

Can you truly argue that it would help the Jackets moving him for 99% of these proposals that are futures and not even great futures?

Again, there is no point moving him right now for less than a young player who can replace some of his production. The days of them being a bottom feeder are long gone.

I wasn't addressing any specific fake fan proposals in my post, I was addressing the reality that Columbus shouldn't let Panarin walk for nothing.

What's the level of hypothetical playoff success that makes keeping Panarin and losing him for nothing "worth it?"
Cup? Sure.
Conference finals? I'll concede that one too.
Second round loss? Now I'm not so sure.
First round loss? Been there before.

As I said in my first post, I don't think Columbus turns into a "bottom feeder" if they trade Panarin. I still think they're a playoff contender and, depending on the return, maybe better. There could be an immediate step back for the team, again depending on the return, but I would imagine that's shorter term and not crippling.

I suppose if all the trade offers are dime-a-dozen bottom 6 wingers and a handful of magic beans then maybe you do keep Panarin and say let it ride. BUT, I don't think those are going to be the offers. I think there will be a good deal to be made and if there is, Jarmo should take it, even if it might mean a short term step back.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I suppose if all the trade offers are dime-a-dozen bottom 6 wingers and a handful of magic beans then maybe you do keep Panarin and say let it ride. BUT, I don't think those are going to be the offers. I think there will be a good deal to be made and if there is, Jarmo should take it, even if it might mean a short term step back.

This is a very important qualification, kind of important to mention.

But I'd go further -- the Jackets have no trouble developing second line forwards. Getting those in return for Panarin doesn't move the needle for the franchise. I'd take one year of Panarin over that. It has to be a topline forward.

So it's likely the team acquiring him at that price is either doing a sign-and-trade or expects to sign him. If the only option is a rental trade, then the return is not worth it to the Jackets, and they should just do an "own rental" (what the Leafs called it when they kept JVR and Bozak in the last seasons of their deals).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is a very important qualification, kind of important to mention.

But I'd go further -- the Jackets have no trouble developing second line forwards. Getting those in return for Panarin doesn't move the needle for the franchise. I'd take one year of Panarin over that. It has to be a topline forward.

So it's likely the team acquiring him at that price is either doing a sign-and-trade or expects to sign him. If the only option is a rental trade, then the return is not worth it to the Jackets, and they should just do an "own rental" (what the Leafs called it when they kept JVR and Bozak in the last seasons of their deals).

Part of the reason I think Panarin should be traded before the season rather than at the deadline is because I think a team getting him now is more than likely doing so for the long term and thus the return likely would be better. Deadline deal more likely is a rental and would be a lesser return.

Every bit of this is speculative of course. Just my feeling for the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad