Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
So Sabres interviewed Boughner, Arniel and Reirden and were waiting to interview Housley. Florida was said to be waiting on Housley but ended up hiring Boughner shortly after Boughner interviewed with the Sabres. You have to wonder if Botterill was actually given permission to speak with Housley at some point during the playoffs.

Housley must have given Tallon some indication that he wasn't interested in their position, makes no sense to hire Boughner before the playoffs were over unless he was tipped that the first choice wouldn't be available.

If we come out of this hole with Botterill and Housley leading the team, I feel like this summer is already a huge success.

JRiz13

Apr 29, 2013
ATL
What do we think? Tocchet didn't feel ready/didn't want to leave or Pegula told Botterill that he just fired everybody and preached character at 3 press conferences in a row and Tocchet wasn't on the table?

Or maybe Botts just didnt want Tocchet? Would that be hard to believe? I mean to me that seems like the most plausible.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What do we think? Tocchet didn't feel ready/didn't want to leave or Pegula told Botterill that he just fired everybody and preached character at 3 press conferences in a row and Tocchet wasn't on the table?

Pegula is a huge influencer in the hiring process. We've known that all along.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Or Tocchet wasn't viewed by Botts as what he wants (for whatever reason) as his coach.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

All speculation obviously but:

1) Botterill would know if he wasn't a solid coach.

2) Pegula didn't want the baggage, even though Tocchet "did his time."

3) the other two candidates are far and away more appealing.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think if Housley is the choice then a very strong veteran coach like Lindy will be added to the staff.

I am fascinated to see how this summer plays out. Botts is a very smart guy and his vision has helped to win back to back Cups. I want to see how he reshape a this team and what moves he makes.

Murray was a " I like this guy and this guy let me get them and figure out how everything fits together later."

I imagine Botts sitting in an office with giant white boards filled with every detail of his overall plan for the franchise.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I think if Housley is the choice then a very strong veteran coach like Lindy will be added to the staff.

I am fascinated to see how this summer plays out. Botts is a very smart guy and his vision has helped to win back to back Cups. I want to see how he reshape a this team and what moves he makes.

Murray was a " I like this guy and this guy let me get them and figure out how everything fits together later."

I imagine Botts sitting in an office with giant white boards filled with every detail of his overall plan for the franchise.

Key word being "like" there. I can't see Lindy coming back to Buffalo to accept a lesser job than HC. With another organization, sure, but not here.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

ce56d86e44f653b88497867e6383dfaa.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think everyone in the hockey world knows a decision will be made in the next few days. Not sure that means it's Housley, though I hope it is.
I know some of us are connecting dots, but I'll wait for the formal announcement.

Floyd Smith, Bill Inglis, Craig Ramsey. Yeah, I googled that. :)
I remembered Floyd Smith, Dudley, Craig Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Lindy. Forgot about Inglis, understandably so. I remember when he coached, forgot he played. The season he coached I think the Sabres lost in the 1st round to the Penguins, best of 3, I think in OT of 3rd game at home.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
So what are the odds that a Buffalo media member breaks the news of who the next Sabres coach is over one of the big boys? I put it at 0.0000001%

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So what are the odds that a Buffalo media member breaks the news of who the next Sabres coach is over one of the big boys? I put it at 0.0000001%

Zero

They had no sources in a regime that couldn't keep it's mouth shut. Now they may not find out who the coach by their own devices until opening night

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I remembered Floyd Smith, Dudley, Craig Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Lindy. Forgot about Inglis, understandably so. I remember when he coached, forgot he played. The season he coached I think the Sabres lost in the 1st round to the Penguins, best of 3, I think in OT of 3rd game at home.

You'll beat me in the Sabres category of Trivial Persuit. I hadn't even heard that name before. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Maybe someone can answer this for me, but is Bob Woods still on the staff? I thought I remember reading somewhere on here that he joined another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad