Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Good. I'm glad Botts doesn't have Pittsburgh blinders.

I knew Tocchet didn't stand a chance. Didn't even interview and won't from what i've heard today.

Bottlecap has been through the worst and the best in PIT and two things are crucial to success in his mind(imo) after going from Byslma to Johnston to Sullivan.

1) Development - of the youngsters in the system to the young stars/guys on the team.

2) Communication - hard but fair to not lose a player. A hard ass that the players respect and love basically.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Well my deam team of Brisebois and Marc Crawford are gone :laugh:

I wanted Housley least, didn't care for Tocchett, and thought Reirden was the best out of all 3 if I had to choose one.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Im struggling to understand your views/worries on some of this. Maybe my understanding of previous events is incorrect so please let me know if it is. Pegs hired LaFontaine, who in turn hired Nolan. LaFontaine also hired Murray, who then hired Bylsma...

Now here is where I maybe missed something, has it been stated for fact that Pegula had a direct influence on any hire outside of LaFontaine? Has he ever actually "meddled" in any decision. It seems to me he has been very good at staying out of the way of the hockey minds. And if his version of meddling is just making sure we hire someone with integrity and character, I would call that very light in terms of meddling.

Anyways, apologies in advance if this came off as snarky or condescending. It isnt meant too. All this conversation makes me feel like I am missing something so I am just trying to clear that up for myself.

Well, I won't be worried for a while. Just hope Botterill and Housley win right away and get the time to build the team if they show promise.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
And who hired Lafontaine? Terry can claim he was not involved but he hired Lafontaine. For those who want the Pegulas more involved please name one hiring success they have made. I'll wait.

I like the Botterill hiring. But maybe Sabres were lucky that Pegulas were too busy messing up the Bills.

Sounds like you're just stretching things so you have something to complain about with Terry to fit your narrative. If I remember correctly, Pat called Nolan and asked him if he wanted a job while at a sporting event (maybe watching his son play), and next day Nolan was in Buffalo for the announcement to be head coach.

Yes, Pegula is responsible at the end of the day for the choices he and his employees make/made, but don't try to lay blame and say Pegula made the decision to hire Nolan.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Rex Ryan was hired when Pegulas didn't listen to their GM but decided they knew more. Terrible example.

As for Ted Nolan if you are telling me they were not involved in that you are really drinking the Pegula "What, me?" BS. Time for them to stop passing the buck.

It's been well known the influence Russ had on the hire of Rex.

The Nolan hire came from Lafontaine who the Pegulas hired to run hockey ops.

Their issues stem from the fact that they were NOT involved enough-- i.e they trusted people who had no reason to be trusted with that level of autonomy at the time.

It's impossible to know how much input they had on any of those hires. Maybe you're right but what is generally regarded as fact points to them signing off on hires and not meddling.

Hence they hired two GMs that are regarded in both leagues as true executives, with experience in all facets of running a franchise. From what they've said and done previously they want someone to run the operation.

If Housley is the guy I'll be excited to see what he can do with our defense.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well my deam team of Brisebois and Marc Crawford are gone :laugh:

I wanted Housley least, Didn't care for Tocchett, and thought Reirden was the best out of all 3 if I had to choose one.

Sources say Botterill got one good look at his HOF Ring, and that sealed the deal :sarcasm:

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It's been well known the influence Russ had on the hire of Rex.

The Nolan hire came from Lafontaine who the Pegulas hired to run hockey ops.

Their issues stem from the fact that they were NOT involved enough-- i.e they trusted people who had no reason to be trusted with that level of autonomy at the time.

It's impossible to know how much input they had on any of those hires. Maybe you're right but what is generally regarded as fact points to them signing off on hires and not meddling.

Hence they hired two GMs that are regarded in both leagues as true executives, with experience in all facets of running a franchise. From what they've said and done previously they want someone to run the operation.

If Housley is the guy I'll be excited to see what he can do with our defense.

Well, you do have Terry's talking points down. Sorry, the Lafontaine hire and the results from it are on the Pegulas.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
We really didn't even interview Tocchet?! After all that?

It's all media speculation from the beginning. It has to do with familiarity with a new GM, and the similar patterns with Ray Shero, his original mentor. So you would assume it would be easier to start with a familiar face. Well it didn't happen. WOOT!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I know some of us are connecting dots, but I'll wait for the formal announcement.

I remembered Floyd Smith, Dudley, Craig Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Lindy. Forgot about Inglis, understandably so. I remember when he coached, forgot he played. The season he coached I think the Sabres lost in the 1st round to the Penguins, best of 3, I think in OT of 3rd game at home.

I think an old timer Marcel Pronovost too. But I'm wrong, I see he never played for the Sabres.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well, you do have Terry's talking points down. Sorry, the Lafontaine hire and the results from it are on the Pegulas.

This line of thinking is almost as stringent as the rejection of free will.

If the prior mgmt regime of the Bills or Sabres had succeeded, who would've received credit?

Where I work, we've hired people who weren't right fits / lacked the skills to do job in line with their peers. Was it the individual employee's fault they didn't/couldn't do the job, or is the blame all on mgmt for hiring the wrong person?

Even the Nuremburg trial tribunal rejected the arguments the Nazi top heirarchy were only following orders.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If Tocchet wasn't interviewed at all Botterill definitely was told by the Pegulas they weren't interested whatsoever OR Botterill is a quick study having watched Pegula's presser and decided Tocchet's priors made him a no go.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Opinion by a Nashville fan

I wish him the best, I think he's a great guy and he'll definitely help the D-men. I think he'll be a pretty poor head coach though. The two facets of the Preds that he was most involved in other than working with the defenseman (power play and OT) were the two worst aspects of the Preds and he never seemed to be able to adjust at all.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If Tocchet wasn't interviewed at all Botterill definitely was told by the Pegulas they weren't interested whatsoever OR Botterill is a quick study having watched Pegula's presser and decided Tocchet's priors made him a no go.

It's equally plausible that Botterill simply knew Tocchet well enough to know all his faults, enough to eliminate him from consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->