Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I am leaning towards Tocchet as the guy.

Give him some X's and O's assistants and let him run that room.

Housley may become a fine coach, but I think Tocchet may be a bit more prepared.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
You sign Vanek and keep all the gambling in house. Pags takes 10% off the top because he can't dig any more wells. Season ticket holders finally stop getting hosed because Pags has another revenue source.

I didn't want Vanek but as a season ticket holder when you put it like that, I could see my way to having this set up lol.

My two cents is Housley will be a far more impressive interview and coach. Tocchet has been passed over already as someone here pointed out while he waiting in Pittsburgh and he ran a **** show power play in the playoffs. How is that possible with those guys?

I'm all for Phil and watch him reunite with his Captain Jake and believe he will be the guy that figures out our expensive and mostly useless Bogo.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You can find dozens of Tocchet's to be good in the room as an assistant coach.

He brings zero positives to the table outside of that.

If he wasn't Botterill's buddy he wouldn't even get an interview

Condoning hiring him is a joke.

The big new decision by Pegula is to have the GM and coach be best buddies as evidenced by Beane and Tocchet here. Murray and Whaley not getting along with coaches has led us to this overreaction.

When he fails as coach, again, I can't wait to see what the next idea is.

Fingers crossed it's a coach on the cutting edge of where the league is heading. God forbid we just do that now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Look at the Penguins board and their thread on this.

They think he'll be a **** HC too and aren't even sure what he does there.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

No its not, it's not at all. The reason people are so nervous about hiring Tocchet as head coach is because of his gambling issues before he was even an NHL coach. Yes he gambled but those days are long gone and he is a new man.

I honestly don't know why Tocchet gets so much hatred and negativity on these boards. He is much more accomplished then Housley is when it comes to coaching and experience. Housley yes could be an incredible signing but there is also plenty of risk with his limited amount of coaching. Tocchet on the other hand has loads of coaching experience and has learned from the Great One, and Mike Sullivan.

Tocchet did a phenomenal job in Pittsburgh running the power play, developing rapports with players, got an incredible analytical eye , a great hockey mind, experience working with some of the best players in the league (Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Kessel and getting the best out of them, a power play guru , had a major influence on the Pens success, but most importantly comes from a winning pedigree ( 3 Stanley Cups) So he knows how to win, and knows what it takes to win.

Alot of people looked at his sample size in Tampa and immediately threw him under the bus. But seriously what did he have to work with outside of Stammer, St Louis, Lecavalier, and Prospel ??? Don't give me he had Roberts and Recchi. Both were in their 40's and their best days were well behind them . He also wasn't ready to be an NHL coach but is definitely ready now. Look at Mike Sullivan for example, he didn't have the greatest first crack at being a head coach, but now he is arguably one of the best coaches in the NHL up there with Babcock, Quenville, Laviolette etc.

I too was nervous when I heard Tocchet as a head coaching Candidate and with the gambling issues, but now I have a change of mind and he is the man I want for the job. All The Pens and people around the league have said nothing but great things about him and how he was an invaluable and major influence on their team as you can see here in an article posted today by Ron Cook http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...uffalo-Sabres-head-coach/stories/201706140060.

I am all aboard the Tocchet train and I don't think he is getting the job cause he's buddies with Botterill. Hiring him makes perfect sense. He knows the game from a players standpoint and a coaching standpoint. Has won the Stanley Cup 3 times, played with some of the greatest players ever (Jagr, LArry Murphy, Lemeuix , Paul Coffey , Rod Brind'Amour and of course Wayne Gretzky, One of the toughest players to ever suit up in the NHL, and has coaching experience.

Let's give the guy a chance cause by all indications he is our next head coach so enough hatred.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No its not, it's not at all. The reason people are so nervous about hiring Tocchet as head coach is because of his gambling issues before he was even an NHL coach. Yes he gambled but those days are long gone and he is a new man.
Nobody gives a **** about that.

People are nervous because Pittsburgh fans are basically laughing that he's even in consideration for the job. Look at what their fans are saying and it's the same cautionary tale as Bylsma just with different faults. I saw a few posts with Pittsburgh fans blown away that there would even be a decision between Tocchet and Housley.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

People are nervous because Pittsburgh fans are basically laughing that he's even in consideration for the job. Look at what their fans are saying and it's the same cautionary tale as Bylsma just with different faults. I saw a few posts with Pittsburgh fans blown away that there would even be a decision between Tocchet and Housley.

Let them laugh, Tocchet deserves a chance. He has the pedigree and the resume too coach and alot of people are saying he would be a big loss for the Pens. People are entitled to their opinions. We live on planet earth. But I am not going to be scared about what a few pens fans are saying. As a matter of fact when I was watching game 6 at The Keg I talked to 10-15 fans about Tocchet. All of those fans said nothing but Spectacular things and only Praised Tocchet. The Pens fans were also scared when Sullivan was hired. Look how that one turned out in their favor

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
GMJB and Phil Housley were teammates in Calgary in 1999-2000. Botts played 2 games with the Flames that year. So they have a working relationship as well.:nod:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

The big new decision by Pegula is to have the GM and coach be best buddies as evidenced by Beane and Tocchet here. Murray and Whaley not getting along with coaches has led us to this overreaction.

When he fails as coach, again, I can't wait to see what the next idea is.

Fingers crossed it's a coach on the cutting edge of where the league is heading. God forbid we just do that now.

Love the expert analysis from the hockey insider.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This team is at a crossroads, both Housley and Tocchet have little experience as head coaches - they could be great, terrible or anywhere in between. I'd have gone with Marc Crawford, not because I think Crawford is a great coach but because we can't afford the risk of a coach who soon proves he's in over his head.

Sheldon Keefe should have been interviewed - nothing but success as a head coach at the OHL and AHL level. If you look at the successful NHL coaches, that's the most common development path.

Huge decision for Botterill, one that will go a long way in defining him as a GM. If he's really got the right stuff, he'll make a good choice whoever it is.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
It's really funny to me that anyone could be so staunchly for or against either Housley or Tochett when none of us know what kind of merits they have as head coaches in 2017.

That's great that Pittsburgh fans don't think Tochett will be a good head coach and that they're not sure what he does there...but they don't know anymore than us what kind of head coach he's going to be a decade after his last (and only) stint running an NHL bench.

I don't want Tochett, but it's not like they're hiring some longtime retread if they choose him. We'll just have to wait and see what he can do.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

So what you are saying is some HFBoards Pittsburgh Penguins fans help weigh in your decision of Tocchet? And whether of not he is a good coach? And then you compare Tocchet to Blysma when they are not even close to being the same.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I couldn't care less about the name ... I just want the coach to get the most out of our youth and play an uptempo possession game.

And like I said when this thread first started, Tocchet's long past personal poor decisions have no weight with how I view him in his job as a coach.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah nobody better to teach accountability to those players then a guy getting a job he's already failed at from his friend despite making incredibly poor decisions.

Good call.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Pretty sure Botterill would know a lot more than the random fan on hf boards.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Speak for yourself. Some of us think he never should have been allowed back in the NHL after the guilty plea.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't have a huge reaction to any of the potential hires.

I just want them to hire the best coach. And we won't know if they hired a good coach for a while. It won't be determined at the time of the hire.

But, we do live in a Hot Take world, so....

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't like some things I've heard about Tocchet but I trust Botterill's process. If he thinks Tocchet's the best candidate, then well, let's see how he does. Tim Murray only got 2 full seasons, it's not like there's time to **** around and give jobs to incompetent friends.

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
I obviously missed why Ralph Kreuger isn't in the mix. Does anyone have any knowledge, even as that's defined on HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad