Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
That's a really dumb reason to think he'll be a bad head coach. Why don't we just keep the PP coach that had us 1st in the league for a stretch this year? There, 50% of the problem is solved.

I don't get how a fan can know how good an assistant coach will be as a head coach. Sounds like guesswork.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That's a really dumb reason to think he'll be a bad head coach. Why don't we just keep the PP coach that had us 1st in the league for a stretch this year? There, 50% of the problem is solved.
My god you poor flower child. If you can't see how that is a problem you are truly blind.

If he couldn't figure out how to adjust his power play to make it work, what makes you think he's going to be able to adjust his lines in game?

see the correlation?

I mean, NSH was throwing Mike Fisher out on it's PP...I'm not super concerned about that considering we have Eichel/ROR/Reinhart, etc.
and that would be Housley's fault for throwing him out there on the power play. I will chalk that up to poor player management.

I don't get how a fan can know how good an assistant coach will be as a head coach. Sounds like guesswork.
You do a lot of it around here with your Pegula takes. Pot meet Kettle.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
To be perfectly unbiased, there's nothing for us to base a strong opinion on either way. Coaches can look great as candidates, and then flame out for any number of reasons, including things out of their control (like a crappy roster). I'll just be happy for now that the new HC isn't a guy like Dufus that I had such a terrible opinion of right off the bat...fwiw.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was under the impression that running the PP was nearly always the domain of an assistant coach...am I wrong about that?

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Well, you do have Terry's talking points down. Sorry, the Lafontaine hire and the results from it are on the Pegulas.

Again this stems from your point to not meddle. They initially hired Pat for the sole reason that he would be the ones making the decisions; he would hire a GM, a coach and help shape the roster. Terry and Kim learned by essentially stepping away from anything hockey related was a mistake. Terry all but admitted that after he fired Murray and Bylsma.

Obviously the goal is not to have them meddle in day-to-day hockey ops. But to sit here and say that owners of a nearly $1.5b entity should have absolutely no input in a critical hire within the organization is completely illogical. It's like saying the board of a corporation should have no input in hiring one of the highest level executives.

Edit: I also wanted to add that Pegula took the blame in the past hires-- it's all on him. If you're going to criticize him for a hire that led to a chain of hires hat ultimately backfired then that's fair. It's the chain of hires that he felt backfired and admitted fault. That's admirable. His talking point was to be more involved in initial hires to make sure this doesn't happen again. Leadership and accountability starts at the top.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
So the PP was 16th overall in the league.

No doubt he will be a bad headcoach

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
My god you poor flower child. If you can't see how that is a problem you are truly blind.

If he couldn't figure out how to adjust his power play to make it work, what makes you think he's going to be able to adjust his lines in game?

see the correlation?

and that would be Housley's fault for throwing him out there on the power play. I will chalk that up to poor player management.

Poor flower child? That's an....interesting way to be condescending. Good one.

As somebody else said, our PP talent is way better than Nashville's. Most of the time, that's what really matters. And no, that's not the same thing as adjusting lines in game. It's a very specific part of the game.

Like I said, a good head coach will defer the PP coaching to the guy that had us #1 in the league. So it doesn't matter.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If Tocchet wasn't interviewed at all Botterill definitely was told by the Pegulas they weren't interested whatsoever OR Botterill is a quick study having watched Pegula's presser and decided Tocchet's priors made him a no go.

Or Tocchet wasn't interested in the job from the beginning, Or Botterill wasn't interested in Tocchet because he had others ahead of him on his list for no other reason than he felt the others might have been a better fit, and felt more comfortable with his other choices over Tocchet.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Poor flower child? That's an....interesting way to be condescending. Good one.

As somebody else said, our PP talent is way better than Nashville's. Most of the time, that's what really matters. And no, that's not the same thing as adjusting lines in game. It's a very specific part of the game.

Like I said, a good head coach will defer the PP coaching to the guy that had us #1 in the league. So it doesn't matter.
Dear god, the blind Housley defending is already upon us.

Reactions: jd1970

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
And I'll chalk it up to Ryan Johansen and Kevin Fiala being injured.
So what? you're going to ignore an entire season and only think it imply's to playoffs?

once again, blind Housley defending is upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad