Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I wanted Housley but if I found our that the Pegulas meddled I will be angry.

It's not meddling...they own the team and said from the start that they'll be heavily involved in the decision. There's no chance Botterill would have thought otherwise when he took the job.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It's not meddling...they own the team and said from the start that they'll be heavily involved in the decision. There's no chance Botterill would have thought otherwise when he took the job.

Telling Botterril who he can hire is meddling. I want the hockey guy to make the call, not the Pegulas who have horrible judgment.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I'm not going to look for them, but imagine I'm quoting the several posts I made over the last month or two comparing all of the Tocchet rumors to the exact same lazy media takes about Tim Murray and Luke Richardson because they were best buds or whatever

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They can do whatever they want. You're rooting for their team...they don't own yours.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

And eliminating one candidate isn't exactly tying the coach's hands behind his back. There's plenty more good candidates to pick from. Not that I would really care, but I think Pegula would have looked bad hiring a coach with character issues in his past after preaching about how we want character in the offseason.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
And eliminating one candidate isn't exactly tying the coach's hands behind his back. There's plenty more good candidates to pick from. Not that I would really care, but I think Pegula would have looked bad hiring a coach with character issues in his past after preaching about how we want character in the offseason.

That Pegula press conference was embarrassing. Terry was just babbling. I don't want my GM to have to hire based on Terry's incoherent ramblings.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They can do whatever they want. You're rooting for their team...they don't own yours.

No one is saying they should be locked up if they make this or that decision with their sports team. Are you saying there is no criticizing a Pegula decision? What about a decision by someone they delegate to make decisions for them, and so on?

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Telling Botterril who he can hire is meddling. I want the hockey guy to make the call, not the Pegulas who have horrible judgment.

That got us Rex Ryan, Ted Nolan, and Dan Bylsma.

Only in sports is it some how incorrect for high level executives / owners to be involved in important hires. It doesn't make sense.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
That got us Rex Ryan, Ted Nolan, and Dan Bylsma.

Only in sports is it some how incorrect for high level executives / owners to be involved in important hires. It doesn't make sense.

Rex Ryan was hired when Pegulas didn't listen to their GM but decided they knew more. Terrible example.

As for Ted Nolan if you are telling me they were not involved in that you are really drinking the Pegula "What, me?" BS. Time for them to stop passing the buck.

Sabreland

Feb 13, 2015
Maybe someone can answer this for me, but is Bob Woods still on the staff? I thought I remember reading somewhere on here that he joined another team.

I still saw his name on the coaching list at the official Sabre's website along with the other assistant coaches.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Rex Ryan was hired when Pegulas didn't listen to their GM but decided they knew more. Terrible example.

As for Ted Nolan if you are telling me they were not involved in that you are really drinking the Pegula "What, me?" BS. Time for them to stop passing the buck.

Wasn't that Lafontaine's doing though, when they had that dinner/interview?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Wasn't that Lafontaine's doing though, when they had that dinner/interview?

And who hired Lafontaine? Terry can claim he was not involved but he hired Lafontaine. For those who want the Pegulas more involved please name one hiring success they have made. I'll wait.

I like the Botterill hiring. But maybe Sabres were lucky that Pegulas were too busy messing up the Bills.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I still saw his name on the coaching list at the official Sabre's website along with the other assistant coaches.

He was mentioned as a possible candidate for MIN asst job? Or ANH? But only under the assumption that he isn't kept on here. He is still a member at this time

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
So, if Housley is hired by Bots....good call. But if the Pegula's had a say, Housley is not a good call.

Makes sense.

You can have a good result from a poor process. I would prefer that owners who have shown terrible decision making let the hockey guy make the decision. Input and asking questions is fine. But telling Boterrill who he can hire from a list is the sort of meddling that has gotten us to where we are today.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I haven't seen any reports of Botts interviewing PH or RT, but I am not in Buffalo. Have there been any?

1 minute too late.

JRiz13

Apr 29, 2013
ATL
You can have a good result from a poor process. I would prefer that owners who have shown terrible decision making let the hockey guy make the decision. Input and asking questions is fine. But telling Boterrill who he can hire from a list is the sort of meddling that has gotten us to where we are today.

Im struggling to understand your views/worries on some of this. Maybe my understanding of previous events is incorrect so please let me know if it is. Pegs hired LaFontaine, who in turn hired Nolan. LaFontaine also hired Murray, who then hired Bylsma...

Now here is where I maybe missed something, has it been stated for fact that Pegula had a direct influence on any hire outside of LaFontaine? Has he ever actually "meddled" in any decision. It seems to me he has been very good at staying out of the way of the hockey minds. And if his version of meddling is just making sure we hire someone with integrity and character, I would call that very light in terms of meddling.

Anyways, apologies in advance if this came off as snarky or condescending. It isnt meant too. All this conversation makes me feel like I am missing something so I am just trying to clear that up for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan