Speculation: Coach Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
Well he is still the chairmen of Southampton Football Club. And exactly how did he land that gig?

Saw that. Got a great resume for sure, but still got lured back to coach Team Europe to great success. I heard him interviewed at length during that run and remember how impressive he was. Maybe his time with the Oilers was so distasteful he won't commit long term in that way? Who knows

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I personally prefer Reirden over Tocchet or Housley but he appears to be 3rd in the running.

I honestly think they are all pretty equal. The fact Reirden got an interview should tell you he is very high on the list. We still have not heard of Tocchet getting an interview, but he has been pretty busy.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Sounds like decision is made. Tocchet has not interviewed yet, so if he is the guy then it was decided before the search even began.

Since Housley is in town I am expecting Housely.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Sounds like decision is made. Tocchet has not interviewed yet, so if he is the guy then it was decided before the search even began.

Do we have a source for this? Or are we just basing this off the fact that we haven't heard that he has been interviewed? Genuinely curious as to whether I missed a tweet or something.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Do we have a source for this? Or are we just basing this off the fact that we haven't heard that he has been interviewed? Genuinely curious as to whether I missed a tweet or something.

I guess he could have, but it would have been pretty stealthy with all that was going on around him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah nobody better to teach accountability to those players then a guy getting a job he's already failed at from his friend despite making incredibly poor decisions.

Good call.

Some people might not care about it, but some do, and no matter how you feel personally you have to acknowledge that it's a legitimate issue for the Pegulas to consider. I happen to not only think it matters, but I also think it will matter to the Pegulas considering the tone of the firing presser. I think after what Pegula talked about (and was criticized from some for sounding like a broken record) that it almost precludes himself from hiring Tocchet, lest he be painted as a hypocrite. I wouldn't necessarily feel that way but I can definitely see some reacting that way.

And I don't think it's rhetoric to suggest that some players might not take too well to Tocchet talking to them about accountability and so on. I wouldn't want to set my team up for those issues down the road. Just because some posters here can blow it off as ten year old drama doesn't mean others will. As an owner you HAVE to consider that stuff.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

I think everyone in the hockey world knows a decision will be made in the next few days. Not sure that means it's Housley, though I hope it is.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Some people might not care about it, but some do, and no matter how you feel personally you have to acknowledge that it's a legitimate issue for the Pegulas to consider. I happen to not only think it matters, but I also think it will matter to the Pegulas considering the tone of the firing presser. I think after what Pegula talked about (and was criticized from some for sounding like a broken record) that it almost precludes himself from hiring Tocchet, lest he be painted as a hypocrite. I wouldn't necessarily feel that way but I can definitely see some reacting that way.

And I don't think it's rhetoric to suggest that some players might not take too well to Tocchet talking to them about accountability and so on. I wouldn't want to set my team up for those issues down the road. Just because some posters here can blow it off as ten year old drama doesn't mean others will. As an owner you HAVE to consider that stuff.

Tocchet has some big time supporters. But I cant see them wanting Tocchet when Housley is out there. Botts will have to be very convincing.

It's all lining up for Housley.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
We also do know Big Head was in Nashville with Tocchet the night the Pens won the Cup. Maybe an interview was conducted the next morning? Doubtful but who knows.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Did GMBH talk/interview Housley at all before the end of the playoffs?

Why does it feel like the comprehensive coaching search was just a wait for Housley?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wow. So a month of solid Tocchet rumors from all of the most reliable sources and he wasn't even interviewed.

It's already obvious that our new GM is much better and keeping things under wraps than Murray was. Maybe a good thing for the org, but a bummer for fans like me who depend on the rumors! :laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So Sabres interviewed Boughner, Arniel and Reirden and were waiting to interview Housley. Florida was said to be waiting on Housley but ended up hiring Boughner shortly after Boughner interviewed with the Sabres. You have to wonder if Botterill was actually given permission to speak with Housley at some point during the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What do we think? Tocchet didn't feel ready/didn't want to leave or Pegula told Botterill that he just fired everybody and preached character at 3 press conferences in a row and Tocchet wasn't on the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad