Clarke MacArthur Appreciation Thread

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Name one person who didn't believe in Mac.

Pretty much everyone on this board was afraid of the effects of another concussion and his quality of life, not his abilities as a hockey player.

I'm not targeting anybody? I'm just saying that firstly, many posters didn't believe he could come back and secondly, many didn't think he could actually make a difference. If you don't believe me, just read the MacArthur threads, I tell you things exactly how they are. No need to take it personal.

I am also scared for him as one hit to the head could be dangerous, but the difference with most, is I am equally "scared" for every player as one big hit could have a serious effect, that you have concussion history or not. His history should be in the past now and nothing proves that he is much more likely to get concussions now that it is supposed to be fixed... Hopefully he is lucky from now on.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think there's anything wrong with having limited expectations for a player who missed the better part of two years due to concussions. Mac has been a great addition but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised by how effective he has looked at certain times.

I guess Guy Boucher is a hater too considering what he said about Mac at the post game press conference.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not targeting anybody? I'm just saying that firstly, many posters didn't believe he could come back and secondly, many didn't think he could actually make a difference. If you don't believe me, just read the MacArthur threads, I tell you things exactly how they are. No need to take it personal.

I am also scared for him as one hit to the head could be dangerous, but the difference with most, is I am equally "scared" for every player as one big hit could have a serious effect, that you have concussion history or not. His history should be in the past now and nothing proves that he is much more likely to get concussions now that it is supposed to be fixed... Hopefully he is lucky from now on.

I think you're wrong here. 99% of posters who were negative towards Clarke said that he should cut his losses and retire before risking further injury. He was playing as a legit top 6 player when he got hurt. I'm not about to go through dozens of pages to prove my view, but I really believe this to be the case.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think you're wrong here. 99% of posters who were negative towards Clarke said that he should cut his losses and retire before risking further injury. He was playing as a legit top 6 player when he got hurt. I'm not about to go through dozens of pages to prove my view, but I really believe this to be the case.

when he got tackled behind the net last night and got his head shoved down I was worried for him. But coming back from that to score proves once and for all he's healthy.

He can hold onto the puck and stick handle in a booth only 2nd on the tam to EK. Just so good at creating plays and keeping pucks alive.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Agreed. No one argued he could. We all know the NHL is a business that tends to care more about winning and dollars than long term player health.

Everyone argued whether he SHOULD. When Pasternak took that penalty, I watched more intensely in the replays for a head collision on the ice than I would normally.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

People were saying "play it safe" which is totally understandable, I don't agree that it was negative, they were just being cautious. So it's really not what I was saying. After he failed to clear the test last time, I thought his career was over. I was also proven wrong as I started putting his salary on LTIR but he got back when I didn't expect it at all...

I am not right or wrong here, I am just stating that he came back against all odds. However, some people were thinking that he wouldn't be the same player but they are somewhat being proven wrong as he is still showing top-6 ability. I never said it was easy to predict. So whatever we thought, he is proving everybody wrong and that's a great thing. No?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
People were saying "play it safe" which is totally understandable, I don't agree that it was negative, they were just being cautious. So it's really not what I was saying. After he failed to clear the test last time, I thought his career was over. I was also proven wrong as I started putting his salary on LTIR but he got back when I didn't expect it at all...

I am not right or wrong here, I am just stating that he came back against all odds. However, some people were thinking that he wouldn't be the same player but they are somewhat being proven wrong as he is still showing top-6 ability. I never said it was easy to predict. So whatever we thought, he is proving everybody wrong and that's a great thing. No?
You are testing people.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
It's awesome to see Mac back out there and coming up clutch in some big moments but i still see times where he looks rusty but i guess thats what happens when you don't play pro hockey in the best league in the work and then you're put right in the playoffs.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It's awesome to see Mac back out there and coming up clutch in some big moments but i still see times where he looks rusty but i guess thats what happens when you don't play pro hockey in the best league in the work and then you're put right in the playoffs.

I was thinking the same thing. His full game definitely isn't there yet, but he's still effective. He's much better than anyone who would replace him, and his presence is very valuable. Very excited to see him play a full regular season.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Mac must have been on cloud 9 when he scored that goal that won the Sens the series.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not only is it a great story line regarding Mac coming back but in him coming back he has sparked ryan to be a much better player than he was all season. Ottawa got two players back instead of one creating another scoring line. :handclap:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I was kind of worried when he took a good hit along the boards nearing the end of the 3rd but seems like it didn't phase him

Goes on to score the series clincher and not to mention scoring Ottawas first goal of the series as well

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I was kind of worried when he took a good hit along the boards nearing the end of the 3rd but seems like it didn't phase him

Goes on to score the series clincher and not to mention scoring Ottawas first goal of the series as well

Why is Bobby Ryan's heroic goal in game 1 so easily forgotten? I guess it's because the Sens lost the game? I could watch that one all day.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why is Bobby Ryan's heroic goal in game 1 so easily forgotten? I guess it's because the Sens lost the game? I could watch that one all day.

I stand corrected. Totally forgot about that goal. :laugh:

Clarke scored Ottawa's first and last power play goal is probably what I should have said ;)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I remember getting laughed at for suggesting he'd be back next year during salary cap discussions. I'm very interested to see how the concussions will have an effect longterm.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm hoping it's just extra precautionary and maybe a spotter/trainer decided to pull him because of that.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I am thrilled about the victory but I am deeply saddened at the potential of a concussion for Mac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad