Clarke MacArthur Appreciation Thread

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Only MacArthur knows at this point.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to kick some sand in the face of the hockey gods. Show them, and everyone else, that he would leave the game on his own terms. Not from some stupid injury.
They are talking about it now on tsn1200.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
There is a chance that he retires. When asked how he felt he said he was going to take a week off before making a decision. He still has to talk to doctors. Also said only having 4 games to get ready for the playoffs was tough but was happy with his performance. Said his neck is sore.

Is it possible the only reason he was cleared is because they made a deal that he would retire after the playoffs? Seems odd that he comes back from injury to continue his career and people are asking him if he is going to retire. Even he is thinking about it.

I think he basically said he wanted to be able to play naturally.

I assumed that meant he was still on some medication during this return, and he wanted to be able to play hockey again without it.

The neck soreness thing seems like it should be a Crosby-like concern.. like is it really a concussion symptom or is your neck screwed up?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I assumed that meant he was still on some medication during this return, and he wanted to be able to play hockey again without it.

The neck soreness thing seems like it should be a Crosby-like concern.. like is it really a concussion symptom or is your neck screwed up?

Didn't he leave a game against Boston because a hit that hurt his neck? Don't think it has anything to do with concussions

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Didn't he leave a game against Boston because a hit that hurt his neck? Don't think it has anything to do with concussions

That's what was reported.. I forget exactly when.. but Mac left ... and everyone thought the worst but the reports came back that it was not concussion related it was his neck... then the conjecture on similarities with Crosby's earlier concussion/neck related injury

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

I think this was just Bruce's poor use of grammar wrt the word naturally. It should have read, "Naturally, he still wants to play".

Mac was cleared to play and will be again but I'm sure the risks will be identical as when he returned. He's at an increased risk and I'm sure he will take the time to reassess his commitment to continue next year. It was one thing to work towards a goal of returning and contributing to this years run, it's another to keep doing it going forward. His decision will very much impact the Sens' decisions this summer. Dorion likely won't get a commitment from Mac until late summer, therefore my guess is that Dorion proceeds with the idea that they need to replace him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I support whatever Clarky does, but if he decides to retire please opt out of the contract team can't afford it on the LTIR.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I support whatever Clarky does, but if he decides to retire please opt out of the contract team can't afford it on the LTIR.

Pretty sure insurance will pay a good chunk of it. Plus, you're asking a guy to leave almost $14 million on the table. He wasn't exactly one of those guys making big money before this contract....

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
It was nice to have him back, he was noticeable on the breakout and definitely still had the skill to belong.
Iirc his contract is 80% insured.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was hoping Mac was not ruling out retirement to dissuade Vegas from taking him. But now it appears Dorion thinks he doesn't need to be protected (which is wrong by the way) so I'm not so sure anymore.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
From an Athletic article about MacArthur (and Callahan), on his role with the Sens post-retirement:
“I had a blast with Shean Donovan and Jesse Winchester doing player development with Ottawa,” he said. “It was fun getting back in the room and just hear the hockey guys again. It’s a hilarious group of guys. I really enjoyed that. I’m planning to do it again but we’ll see how it goes here with the season and what’s going to happen, travel-wise and everything.”

He also expressed a lot of gratitude to Dorion, saying he immediately offered him a role doing basically whatever he wanted, and left that door open indefinitely, although it took 2 years before Mac was ready to start that chapter of his life.

And on his health:
“I feel good, my head and stuff feels good,” said MacArthur. “Weekly, I go in and get my neck adjusted. I don’t really have any jelly between my C2 and C3, so I have to get that adjusted. But other than that I’m pretty healthy and feel pretty good.”

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From an Athletic article about MacArthur (and Callahan), on his role with the Sens post-retirement:

He also expressed a lot of gratitude to Dorion, saying he immediately offered him a role doing basically whatever he wanted, and left that door open indefinitely, although it took 2 years before Mac was ready to start that chapter of his life.

And on his health:

MacArthur would be a great add to the development staff imo

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
MacArthur would be a great add to the development staff imo

He’s involved in real estate development in Florida so mot sure if he’s ready to relocate full time, but I hope we keep him in the fold as much as possible (and give him larger responsibility when he’s ready)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He’s involved in real estate development in Florida so mot sure if he’s ready to relocate full time, but I hope we keep him in the fold as much as possible (and give him larger responsibility when he’s ready)
Its a shame Alfredsson was not still involved as an assistant GM or director of player development or both. We see Sakic and Yzerman and Blake having better than average success at the GM position. He seemed like a natural for the front office.

Reactions: HzH

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Its a shame Alfredsson was not still involved as an assistant GM or director of player development or both. We see Sakic and Yzerman and Blake having better than average success at the GM position. He seemed like a natural for the front office.

I really think Daniel likes being with his kids hockey teams rather than working for the Senators hockey organization.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

We have had a lot of great minds pass through the room... glad to see Philly and Neiler involved in the organization, as they've always been bright hockey minds, but its a shame that things soured with Alfie and Spez. I think both will have great post-playing careers if they want to (especially Spezz). I kinda get the sense from Alfie that hes in no rush to take on the responsibility that comes with management, but no reason he shouldnt be involved in some capacity

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We have had a lot of great minds pass through the room... glad to see Philly and Neiler involved in the organization, as they've always been bright hockey minds, but its a shame that things soured with Alfie and Spez. I think both will have great post-playing careers if they want to (especially Spezz). I kinda get the sense from Alfie that hes in no rush to take on the responsibility that comes with management, but no reason he shouldnt be involved in some capacity

That comes down to ... what does he do for how much $$$. He probably doesn’t care about $100K and would probably want $250+ for any minor roll. How many tickets does that sell for him to kiss some babies or cut some ribbons ?

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I really think Daniel likes being with his kids hockey teams rather than working for the Senators hockey organization.

I can attest to this. I've been at multiple tourneys with my son where Alfie is there. He is such a great guy and always happy to take time to chat and spend time with the wave of kids.

Top notch guy, and I think he's happy where he is.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Ironically both former Leafs, but MacArthur and Hainsey I think would be great additions to the organization. I think Hainsey will actually make a really good coach one day and I could see MacArthur as a scout and eventually G.M role.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He was an absolute workhorse for us. Coming back for that magical playoff run was amazing. Granted it skewed PD on how good this team actually was dammit, but still, have nothing but respect for CM!

Reactions: Deku

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So glad to hear Clarkie is doing well fom a health perspective.

He has been golfing every day in Florida on $5 million for years. Where ever his health was ... it allowed him to play 18 regularly.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He has been golfing every day in Florida’s on $5 million for years. Where ever his health was ... it allowed him to play 18 regularly.
[mod]
It's golf, not exactly a strenuous sport that would impact the brain. Clarke is a quality person who doesn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
[mod]
It's golf, not exactly a strenuous sport that would impact the brain. Clarke is a quality person who doesn't deserve that kind of disrespect.
Lol golf. If you can stand for a couple hours a day, you can put in the effort golf requires. Besides, the league has a long history of sweeping concussions under the rug as players paid the consequences for generations. Can't fault the guy for hanging em up early and obviously doctors signed off on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->