Clarke MacArthur Appreciation Thread

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
the stars aligned

haha great one

MacArthur brings out the edge in Turris and Turris brings out the consistency in MacArthur.

Those two fit each other perfectly, ****ing love it.

MacArthur is a leader, gritty, responsible and plays an awesome game. Beautiful signing. Love it then and still love it now.

I want to see Turris and MacA play together for a long time. I hope they both feel very good and confident and want to be playing together for several years. That's a perfect duo for our 2nd line.

What if?

Spezza-Hemsky
MacArthur-Turris
Zibanejad-Lazar

And rotate the others

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
Possibility of Extension

"If something works out for both sides, then yeah, that would work good," he said after the morning skate. "If not, I've got one more year to play well and do what I can."

Source: Don Brennan :dunno:

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So does the team really miss MacArthur? Any news on his injury?

He's a solid possession player with a (seemingly) good attitude and work ethic. He's also a better hockey player than anyone in the bottom 6 (and would realistically slot in on the second line).

I'm super bummed that he is out and I'm increasingly worried that this is a long-term problem.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Any updates? Does he have head aches from every day activities? If not, has he started riding the bike? Jogs? I haven't seen any update. My sister got her first concussion in rugby 2 years ago and still only rides the bike and goes for walks. Jogging gives her headaches. Because of this I've taken more interest in concussions.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would say that the lack of news on Grizz is a huge red flag. If the media who cover the team daily had seen him at the rink skating on his own or even working out, we would have heard about it. So far, nothing. We are likely talking months as opposed to weeks, and it may not be overly dramatic to suggest that his career is in jeopardy. (I'd love to be wrong on this, needless to say...)

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Can't remember if it was this morning or yesterday, but Cameron addressed both the Phillips and MacArthur injuries, saying they were progressing very slowly.

Not good.

You have to wonder if Mac is contemplating retirement at this point. 3 concussions in such a short period, you gotta consider your future.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Likely not. Insuring contracts is apparently not cheap, my guess is Karlsson is insured and maybe Ryan.

Yikes! So that's a chunk of $ that's unavailable to use on UFA or other MacA replacement. I hope Turry & Andy have some coverage..they would be expensive to replace

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Having him back would bump someone down to the third line. It would really help.

Hoff - Turris - Stone
Mac - Ziba - Ryan <- or flip Hoff and Mac
Prince - Pageau - Michalek <- I've wanted this line for a while
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson/Lazar <- or Lazar - Smith - Chiasson
Neil

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Having him back would bump someone down to the third line. It would really help.

Hoff - Turris - Stone
Mac - Ziba - Ryan <- or flip Hoff and Mac
Prince - Pageau - Michalek <- I've wanted this line for a while
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson/Lazar <- or Lazar - Smith - Chiasson
Neil

I really like these lines. It's a shame Mac got injured so early in the season.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Likely not. Insuring contracts is apparently not cheap, my guess is Karlsson is insured and maybe Ryan.

Is that just for ottawa or all teams? Do the rangers,leafs,habs, hawks, etc, only insure 1 or 2 players aswell or this an ottawa being cheap thing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is that just for ottawa or all teams? Do the rangers,leafs,habs, hawks, etc, only insure 1 or 2 players aswell or this an ottawa being cheap thing?

My understanding is there is a max of 3 contracts that can be insured for any team, but I haven't seen anything official on the matter.

I think it's a program run by the NHL and not just a policy teams go out and get with whatever insurance company they want.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I hope that he's taking care of himself and his family - health is more important than hockey.

That being said, would love, love, love to see him back on the ice as soon as he's ready... he could only have a positive impact on the team, especially in mentoring the youngins like Prince, Pumps, Lazarcat and even Stone and the Hoff. He's always come across as a solid professional who works hard on and off the ice... can only imagine the leadership he would bring to a dressing room, letter on his jersey or not.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To gain an appreciation for why insuring contracts has become so expensive, just think about the thread we are on and MacArthur's health issues. Is awareness and diagnoses of concussions rising or falling? We all know the answer to that. If you are an actuary in an insurance company, are you seeing a rising or falling risk in terms of insuring the contracts of pro athletes? Again, the answer here is pretty obvious. My understanding is that the premiums are so steep that it doesn't make sense to insure anything but the big ticket ones. It's no different than people driving a winter beater car who don't bother getting collision and comprehensive insurance for it - the coverage costs you almost as much as the value of simply buying another winter beater.

I see someone helpfully flagged Dave Cameron's comments about MacArthur and Phillips - I had missed that. When a coach says the recovery is going "slowly", it tells me that we are unlikely to see either of them this season.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It must be frustrating, demoralizing and frightening at the same time for MacArthur.

Sad situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad