2024 NHL Playoffs Around the League

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Rangers also benfitted from
-A very stupid "win now" trade from the Senators that gave them Zibanajed who was still developing as a player
-Trochek being a free agent and swooped up thanks to Carolina overpaying the cardio king Kotkaniemi
-trading up for Braden Schneider who was a very good prospect still on the board thanks to Washington
-Actually being smart with Lafreniere for once (Kakko not so much)
-Getting rid of George Liquor for a proven (solid) coach in Laviolette.
-Still having Kreider around even after his decline in 2018-2020
-Having Quick play games when Shesterkin clearly didn't have his stuff working

The last point should apply to Ilya next season. Ilya should play about 48 games next season. He played 56 and looked downright gassed after the end. Not saying Igor didn't play 55 also this season, but when your goalie is clearly struggling, don't force him into every damn game

Not sure how you didn't also mention:

• Adam Fox hijacking his way to New York so they barely gave up anything.
  • Landing perhaps the best UFA in league history who also was only going to play for the nyr (but sure used the NYI).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Not sure how you didn't also mention:

• Adam Fox hijacking his way to New York so they barely gave up anything.
  • Landing perhaps the best UFA in league history who also was only going to play for the nyr (but sure used the NYI).
because we've said those two points so many times at this point

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A retool and a rebuild are the same thing.
That's a new viewpoint! I'd say a rebuild is exactly what the words literally mean - basically tear it down, compile assets and start building all over again.

"Re-tool" is kind of a misnomer. In a cap world, it's really just what GMs need to be doing constantly to improve a team, maximize asset values by moving guys out (or even just letting them walk away) appropriately, and maintain a pipeline that feeds new talent as needed. Every team in the league should be re-tooling all the time. One of Lou's problems is that he hasn't been active enough in re-tooling like that all along. That and too much devotion to "the orchestra" concept, specifically not seeing where the league was heading in style of play and also getting too many oboes and french horns and not enough first violins. :sarcasm:

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I haven’t watched any of the Rags/Canes series so it may be closer than it appears but I feel like the Isles could have at least won a game or two if they had played the Rags. As far as who I want to win it all, I’m rooting for Florida or Vancouver. The rest of the teams can piss off.

Reactions: Osakahaus

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I haven’t watched any of the Rags/Canes series so it may be closer than it appears but I feel like the Isles could have at least won a game or two if they had played the Rags. As far as who I want to win it all, I’m rooting for Florida or Vancouver. The rest of the teams can piss off.

It could easily be 3-0 canes if they knew how to score

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A retool and a rebuild are the same thing. Some rebuilds take less time when your GM actually knows when to call it instead of depleting the team of every possible asset.

Everyone is on board with that and we're just calling it different things.

I'm pretty sure everyone wants changes to the roster. There, now I've avoided using either label.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

Rooting for another Florida/Colorado SCF so an ex Islander wins. Either Okposo with the Panthers or Parise/Toews on the Avs

Reactions: Crashsunday and Lek

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
And the Rangers best players are stepping up with timely goals. The Isles goaltender - the ‘tired’ one - was crap and the Isles best players, well, failed to step up (scoring down 3-0 ain’t stepping up).

It only gets better from here with a NTC kicking in July and 2x the cap hit for not so savior goalie.
Rangers have a slew of best player options: vezina winning goalie, Norris trophy d man, 40 plus goal center and 120 point winger, among other guys that got 77 points this year and a first overall pick that is busting out. We have one forward that sniffs that class. So supporting cast def helps. If the rags get half those guys stepping up they win. Not just one

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm hoping CAR happens to be a good matchup for the NYR, and if they play a bigger, more physical team that creates some havoc in front of Shesterkin they'll have problems. Sorry, that's all I got at the moment.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I'm hoping CAR happens to be a good matchup for the NYR, and if they play a bigger, more physical team that creates some havoc in front of Shesterkin they'll have problems. Sorry, that's all I got at the moment.
CAR?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The buzz out of Carolina sounds exactly like the isles a couple weeks ago. “We’re right there, good at 5 on 5, couple bounces our way and we’re up 2-1 instead.” Funny how the shoe is on the other foot now.

PS Carolina wins tonight, only for the raggies to put the series away on Monday. A gentleman’s sweep.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The Rangers also benfitted from
-A very stupid "win now" trade from the Senators that gave them Zibanajed who was still developing as a player
-Trochek being a free agent and swooped up thanks to Carolina overpaying the cardio king Kotkaniemi
-trading up for Braden Schneider who was a very good prospect still on the board thanks to Washington
-Actually being smart with Lafreniere for once (Kakko not so much)
-Getting rid of George Liquor for a proven (solid) coach in Laviolette.
-Still having Kreider around even after his decline in 2018-2020
-Having Quick play games when Shesterkin clearly didn't have his stuff working

The last point should apply to Ilya next season. Ilya should play about 48 games next season. He played 56 and looked downright gassed after the end. Not saying Igor didn't play 55 also this season, but when your goalie is clearly struggling, don't force him into every damn game
You forgot signing Panarin and having Adam Fox whining and throwing a fit like a child until he was traded to NYR for table scraps

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You forgot signing Panarin and having Adam Fox whining and throwing a fit like a child until he was traded to NYR for table scraps
Told it to Perif but those were obvious

we got the rusty fork up our butts from those two choosing the Rangers over us. Thats the lasting impact of Milbury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad