Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Rielly: 9g/25pts/+10 in 20 games
Chabot: 5g/23pts/+3 in 20 games

and hfboards so he loses the poll

lawlz

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
What's really rich is that the thread went dead for a couple days then, after a couple good games from Rielly, all the leaf fans come out of the woodwork and taunt ppl who voted chabot like they're out to lunch

rielly has more goals and points while playing a better overall game.

but hey its easy to hate the leafs and beat em in a poll.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Rielly: 9g/25pts/+10 in 20 games
Chabot: 5g/23pts/+3 in 20 games

and hfboards so he loses the poll

lawlz

9n1nu.jpg

you just don't get it do you, this poll is asking who you would build your d around. Your acting as if 2 points on the Leafs and 8 plus/minus is a bigger deal than Chabot thriving as a U21 on a bottom tier Senators team

how did you even live during the days when people called rielly a 2d at best, when you're incredulous over this poll

chabot is the new pastrnak

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You'd think in a thread about which player you'd build a team around that the three year age difference would count for more than the two point difference. Rielly is just starting to get decent at D (look at his goals against numbers up to this year), and he'll be UFA age in a few years. I'd love to have Rielly on my team but thinking long term it's definitely reasonable to pick Chabot.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
you just don't get it do you, this poll is asking who you would build your d around. Your acting as if 2 points on the Leafs and 8 plus/minus is a bigger deal than Chabot thriving as a U21 on a bottom tier Senators team

how did you even live during the days when people called rielly a 2d at best, when you're incredulous over this poll

chabot is the new pastrnak

Chabot turned 21 ten months ago.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Turn the situation around. If you were a fan of Ottawa or Rielly or Chabot switched teams, you would have voted Chabot every time. He is 3 years younger, only played 64 NHL games before this season and is still developing a lot. When you look at who to build around, it makes tons of sense to vote Chabot over Rielly.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What's really rich is that the thread went dead for a couple days then, after a couple good games from Rielly, all the leaf fans come out of the woodwork and taunt ppl who voted chabot like they're out to lunch

You gotta admire the audacity of "I told ya so"s about questions that won't be answered until several years from now.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Chabot is much better than Rielly was at that age, there is no doubt about that. Rielly has a much bigger sample size of offensive production (last season + so far this season) so we can't completely judge Chabot on just this season. That's just something we'll have to wait to see how the season develops or even next season. It's not a knock against Chabot, he's just that young and hasn't played nearly as many games as Rielly. In the playoffs, Rielly has 10 points in 13 career games. Not a huge sample size, but he played as the Leafs #1D against tough Washington and Boston squads and still showed his offensive ability.

Defensively, it's not close. At least not yet. Again, it's not a knock on Chabot but he just doesn't have the experience and development as Rielly since he's still so young. Can he get there? For sure. Is he there yet? Nope.

Considering these facts, I can definitely see why people would choose Chabot over Rielly going forward. Especially because of their difference in age. However, Chabot getting twice as many votes as Rielly? The gap, if any, is no where close to that. Leafs bias aside, I take the proven player at this stage especially considering where we are in terms of cup contention. If I am Ottawa, I take Chabot going forward since he fits their rebuild timeline much, much better.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
what was reilly doing when he was Chabots age?

Being used by Babcock as a defensive defenseman because he wanted to improve his overall game. He knew that he can produce offensively, and purposely kept him off the PP or offensive opportunities until he proved to him he can defend properly at the NHL level.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I’d build my team around Chabot for sure but idk if I can say he’s better now. Everyone has streaks

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm not going to lie Chabot is super impressive right now. However, it's been 20 games of elite play for him and over a season of elite play by Rielly. I honestly don't think he losses this poll if he wasn't a Leaf. This is no different than someone arguing Matthews > Tavares after 20 games (which some did and were told how dumb it sounded). It's no different here IMO.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not going to lie Chabot is super impressive right now. However, it's been 20 games of elite play for him and over a season of elite play by Rielly. I honestly don't think he losses this poll if he wasn't a Leaf. This is no different than someone arguing Matthews > Tavares after 20 games (which some did and were told how dumb it sounded). It's no different here IMO.
but Matthews ended up better than Tavares by the end of his second year. Other than that I agree. Chabot might end up better than Rielly, but it's too early to gamble on it

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Chabot plays a good amount of minutes but he's heavily sheltered/doesn't play against top lines or even 2nd lines really and Rielly is significantly better defensively.

Reactions: TMLeafs17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad