Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
it's pretty easy to go by the idea that the best players play more. Yeah some coaches do weird things like Babcock plays Hyman a ton, but I think that's evened out by factoring in the decisions made by 30 other coaches. The problem with cf% is that there are tons of examples of 3rd and 4th liners and 2nd and 3rd pair defensemen who feast on weak competition and have better corsi than better players who face tougher competition.

Yeah, and you have players like Sidney Crosby ranked out of the top 100 because he doesn't have a lot of ice time.

ToI creates a lot more problems than CF% does.

You're just grasping at straws after your original argument tanked.

If you want to argue that opponents with highest cf% are the best, then why not admit Dermott is better than Chabot?

Well, I'll admit that the Leafs with Dermott on the ice are probably better than the Senators with Chabot on the ice.

I don't think that's rocket science.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think so.

If you go by ToI, you're just going by whoever the other team throws out there the most - for good or bad.

LOL, all of a sudden Corsi doesn't matter as a possession proxy.

After all the crowing about Leaf numbers.

That's rich.
Most 4th liners player against 4th liners which skews using QOC using advanced metrics. CF% is a fine measure, but its a terrible way to measure the quality of competition. I mean, do you think the 3rd pairing is the toughest match-up you could get on the Leafs?

No QOC metric is perfect, but its generally accepted QOC TOI is the best one to use.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah, and you have players like Sidney Crosby ranked out of the top 100 because he doesn't have a lot of ice time.

Well, I'll admit that the Leafs with Dermott on the ice are probably better than the Senators with Chabot on the ice.

how am I grasping at straws? I'm correcting you by using the most commonly accepted QoC stats we have access to. that would be like you saying Chabot plays against guys with better faceoff stats and using it as proof that his minutes are harder. And your claim that Dermott is garbage is still pretty awful

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
how am I grasping at straws? I'm correcting you by using the most commonly accepted QoC stats we have access to. that would be like you saying Chabot plays against guys with better faceoff stats and using it as proof that his minutes are harder. And your claim that Dermott is garbage is still pretty awful

Meh, I was just annoyed at that other guy.

Fair enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Huh? Crosby is 9th in the league among forwards for even strength ice-time per game.

TOI is absolutely the best competition metric. Especially when we just hit the 20 game mark. Corsi alone doesn't hold much value measuring players before the 20 game mark, let alone when it is chopped up in to competition metrics.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What are the home and away metrics for both players.
I remember about 5 games ago Babcock trashing on Reilly's poor performance. and -3 that night. He's average defensively after being poor for years.

Like usual one person shows stats , to show how great a player is, then another shows stats how crappy a player is. Stats have never changed, just use the best one for your argument.

I'll take the younger player here, since its building for future says OP, much farther ahead at same age levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad