Chabot vs. Rielly

Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What was Phaneuf doing when he was Chabot’s age?

I’m sure you can see the flaw in that logic.

Not really when the poll is about moving forward. It shouldn't be the only factor obviously, but exceptions don't change the fact that success at an earlier age is still a decent predictor for the future. Otherwise I wouldn't see "40 goals at 19" in every Matthews comparison.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not really when the poll is about moving forward. It shouldn't be the only factor obviously, but exceptions don't change the fact that success at an earlier age is still a decent predictor for the future. Otherwise I wouldn't see "40 goals at 19" in every Matthews comparison.
Development curves vary significantly on defense. How many future Norris winners start in the A? And how many good but non-Norris calibre players make the jump at 20-21?

This tells us it’d be wise to evaluate case by case. There’s no specific arc, it’s all about where you’re at from ~26-33 (roughly their ‘prime’)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think given the age difference I'd go with Chabot here. No disrespect to Rielly though. He's finally started living up to his billing.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chabot plays a good amount of minutes but he's heavily sheltered/doesn't play against top lines or even 2nd lines really and Rielly is significantly better defensively.

Sure playing 25 minutes a night means you only play against 3 and 4 th liners.
Tip for ya, 1/2 the season the opposing coach picks the matchups.

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Rielly 9g/26pts/+12 now in 21 games

easily the front runner for the Norris thus far

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Rielly 9g/26pts/+12 now in 21 games

easily the front runner for the Norris thus far

It's a long season and Gardiner-Zaitsev are taking a lot of first line match up's.

I'm rooting for Rielly but let's keep a level head, very early.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It's a long season and Gardiner-Zaitsev are taking a lot of first line match up's.

I'm rooting for Rielly but let's keep a level head, very early.

its early. but even if rielly reverts back to his pace last year (52pts in 76 games)
he is looking at 15g/68pts

Karlsson won it a few years ago with 66pts.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You'd think in a thread about which player you'd build a team around that the three year age difference would count for more than the two point difference. Rielly is just starting to get decent at D (look at his goals against numbers up to this year), and he'll be UFA age in a few years. I'd love to have Rielly on my team but thinking long term it's definitely reasonable to pick Chabot.

probably the weirdest argument against a player ive seen on here.
" he is a UFA in 4 years!"

dude has one of the best contracts in the league.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
probably the weirdest argument against a player ive seen on here.
" he is a UFA in 4 years!"

dude has one of the best contracts in the league.

When you're building a team the difference between UFA in 4 years and UFA in 7 years is really important.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I think given the age difference I'd go with Chabot here. No disrespect to Rielly though. He's finally started living up to his billing.
I think rielly started living up to his billing last year. 50+ points. Strong defensive game. This year, hes just on an insane level.

If I were starting a franchise I would take rielly simply because he is the more rounded of the two. Morgan is only 24. Not like hes old by any means.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think rielly started living up to his billing last year. 50+ points. Strong defensive game. This year, hes just on an insane level.

If I were starting a franchise I would take rielly simply because he is the more rounded of the two. Morgan is only 24. Not like hes old by any means.
Right that's what I meant by starting to. Lindholm dominated the "best 2012 defenseman" conversation until this last season ended.

I don't think either choice is wrong here. If it was me I'd just take the chance on the guy nearing leading the league in D-man scoring as a sophomore. That's where the age difference comes into play for me. Yes, Rielly has more room to grow, but Chabot has even more development years before his prime to work with. My opinion is a defenseman's prime is between 25-30 so Rielly is almost there. We kind of have a sense already what kind of guy he's gonna be. So in that sense, picking Rielly here might be the more prudent choice since Chabot may be just having really good luck but I'm doubtful of that point. I think he has the talent to be a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad