Friedman: Ceci awarded 4.3M AAV in Arbitration

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Every player should just go with an insanely high ask no reasonable person would give in arbitration because they'll just split the difference for the most part anyway.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
uhhhhhhhhh

ceci is worse than all our RD
I'm not so sure. There's pretty much not a d-man in the league who is more thrown to the wolves than Ceci. What we know is that he's nowhere near able to be effective in those minutes, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't look vastly different playing next to a Gardiner, for example. That would be a better neutral zone player than he's used to, and easier minutes than he's pretty much ever got.

Not that I'm actually arguing to acquire him, it's just that extreme situations like his can be hard to judge.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
understandable... I think Ceci is very average but also there are a ton more young dmen I think are worse than him that signed for more money the past couple years.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
He's 8th in the league in EV + PK time over the last two years.
He has had far and away the highest QoC on our team.

Why talk about a player that you know nothing about?

Why do I keep seeing this silliness? You know they can trade him if they don't want to keep him at 4.3mil, right? He would easily be flipped for a nice piece.

They better hurry. Under 48 hours to find someone to trade him to now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cody Ceci makes more money than Roman Josi lmao
That’s more on josi than anyone. He signed for term before he fully established his offensive game. Got security but had he done bridge deal he likely earns around $10 million more over those 7 years of his contract.

$28 million over 7 years is what he got

$4 mill total on a 2 year bridge then long term deal at $7 million would tota $39 million for those 7 years.

As for ceci the final number was closer to what the sens offered.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He regularly plays the toughest minutes for OTT, and some of the toughest minutes in the league, if I remember correctly. With Karlsson out, he's been the de-facto #1 Dman on the team. He may not be ideal for that yet, but I guess the coaching staff figure he's the best option they have. For that reason alone I think they definitely accept the arbitrators decision and put the ink to the paper. It's fairly reasonable, and he could still take some steps in his development this season. If he doesn't, then trade him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Don't really know much about Ceci, could he play on the first pairing if paired with somebody like Reilly? Is he gawd awful? He is young enough and I think that if they are going full rebuild they could use a first plus plus. No Lilijegren being the plus.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
No harm at all on a 1 year deal much rather have him at that price that someone like Alzner long term

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not so sure. There's pretty much not a d-man in the league who is more thrown to the wolves than Ceci. What we know is that he's nowhere near able to be effective in those minutes, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't look vastly different playing next to a Gardiner, for example. That would be a better neutral zone player than he's used to, and easier minutes than he's pretty much ever got.

Not that I'm actually arguing to acquire him, it's just that extreme situations like his can be hard to judge.
I don't think I'd be optimistic. at best, he'd be a passable bottom pairing guy. That isn't worth 4+ million.

Zaitsev is a pretty good comparable for his minutes, and he outperforms Ceci quite handily. sure he has a better partner and team around him, but that isn't enough to explain the gap between them. And Zaitsev has been pretty bad

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Fair deal, right where I expected it. Ceci gets way too much hate. He gets some of the hardest minutes of any player in the league, and his team relative stats are up against Erik f***ing Karlsson. Ofcourse his metrics are going to look bad. Even when Methot was here, Ceci had more EV TOI and SH TOI, and Ceci was better offensively. Methot made $4.9m.

He's undoubtedly a top 4 defenseman, although slightly miscast as a #2 right now. He's also quite young, still only 24. $4.2 is a very very fair deal, especially for only one year. There's no way in hell Ottawa will walk away.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
honestly Ottawa will suck big time for the next year or two... ceci is not good enough to make a huge difference between 29th place and 28th

all teams need to get to the cap floor.

I think Ottawa needs to sign this guy and view him as a potential deadline deal move. theres a damn good chance he might be worth a first round pick to a desperate team at the deadline

I doubt anyone will want to go to arbitration with him again next season... but this year is in the books now. Ottawa doesn't really need a 'great' top pairing right shot dman. Ottawa needs to bottom feed. it sucks that they don't have their first round pick for this year but getting the best second/third/fourth round picks will be important too.

accept the arbitration award and play the hell of this guy and hope he becomes tradable

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Sign him to 1 or 2 years only. We're gonna suck anyways, may as well habe someone who can play over 20 minutes on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad