Friedman: Ceci awarded 4.3M AAV in Arbitration

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's pretty crazy to think that Ceci has averaged over 23 mins per game for 2 seasons in a row now. Makes sense that he'd get compensated even if he's not very good.

Reactions: derriko

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
uhhhhhhhhh

ceci is worse than all our RD

He's deployed as a #1 and he isn't. I think he could be a solid 2nd pairing insurance piece for Zaitsev if he doesn't rebound, and if Zaitsev does he makes the third pairing maybe the best in the NHL in Dermott - Ceci.

Maybe he rebounds and has an amazing year and the team can keep him over Gardiner or move Ceci.

I think there is a fit there.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Wonder how this affects Edmonton and the Nurse negotiations. Figure he should get at least as much as Ceci even if a bridge deal
I’d bet his camp was waiting to see how this one was going down. I have a hard time seeing Edmonton getting him under 4.5 million now.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
He's deployed as a #1 and he isn't. I think he could be a solid 2nd pairing insurance piece for Zaitsev if he doesn't rebound, and if Zaitsev does he makes the third pairing maybe the best in the NHL in Dermott - Ceci.

Maybe he rebounds and has an amazing year and the team can keep him over Gardiner or move Ceci.

I think there is a fit there.

no. Ceci would be like 6th on our RD depth chart. he's bad. his performance is bad. his production is bad. his analytics are bad.

i have no bloody idea why you'd even try to entertain this

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Why would they walk away? Who are you going to replace him with? The arbitrator ruled based on the current market--its honestly not that bad. Especially when you consider the idea Ottawa's about to purge all high end talent.

Exactly.
They need to stay above the cap floor if a Karlsson/Ryan deal is made and they can flip Ceci at the TDL for assets.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
no. Ceci would be like 6th on our RD depth chart. he's bad. his performance is bad. his production is bad. his analytics are bad.

i have no bloody idea why you'd even try to entertain this

I disagree with you. He's bad because he is played and deployed like a #1 D but he is a solid #5 who I think can be a good #4.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
4th liners are going to be making 4 mill, 3rd liners 5 mill, 2nd liners will get 7 and first liners will be at 9, superstar players will get 10+ the new minimum will be 2 mill.

$$$$$$$ for everyone.
Not if the salary cap doesn't inflate substantially.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
So.... won’t pay EK what he’s easily worth, but overpayed Stone and will probably overpay Ceci?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What on earth has he done to earn 4.3mil AAV at arbitration? I had him at 1.5mil or so.
He averages 20 minutes a night at evens and over 2:30 a night on the PK with minimal PP time. If I didn't know any better, I think he'd qualify as a shutdown defenseman. How many players who have that kind of responsibility make $1.5m?

Reactions: derriko

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
how is he deployed as a #1 RD with erik f-ing karlsson on the team

good lord man shake your head

He's 8th in the league in EV + PK time over the last two years.
He has had far and away the highest QoC on our team.

Why talk about a player that you know nothing about?

Walk away.

Why do I keep seeing this silliness? You know they can trade him if they don't want to keep him at 4.3mil, right? He would easily be flipped for a nice piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad