Friedman: Ceci awarded 4.3M AAV in Arbitration

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think I'd be optimistic. at best, he'd be a passable bottom pairing guy. That isn't worth 4+ million.

Zaitsev is a pretty good comparable for his minutes, and he outperforms Ceci quite handily. sure he has a better partner and team around him, but that isn't enough to explain the gap between them. And Zaitsev has been pretty bad
Not too hard when you compare the ash and trash our top 9 has been,we are one of the worst possession teams...And are consistantly being outshot every game.....Toronto,s top 9 carries that defense

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not too hard when you compare the ash and trash our top 9 has been,we are one of the worst possession teams...And are consistantly being outshot every game.....Toronto,s top 9 carries that defense
Zaitsev is still the worst part of our top 4 by a lot. he's been awful. Ceci might do better with easier minutes, but it's hard to say how much

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zaitsev is still the worst part of our top 4 by a lot. he's been awful. Ceci might do better with easier minutes, but it's hard to say how much
Add in much better forwards,our best forcheckers are guys like JGP and Pyatt...We cant maintain possession,in the O zone..And our defense and goaltending suffers badly because of it ....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I've never not come away with the impression that Cody Ceci Sucks.

How is he getting 4+?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He averages 20 minutes a night at evens and over 2:30 a night on the PK with minimal PP time. If I didn't know any better, I think he'd qualify as a shutdown defenseman. How many players who have that kind of responsibility make $1.5m?
So he plays a lot of minutes, and performs awfully while doing so. A shutdown defenseman who doesn't actually shut down. Yahhoo, better pay him. "He plays a lot" is such a bad argument to support a player. Even Brian Strait would play 20min a game if his coach had him play 20min a game.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Even as someone who feels Ceci gets piled on too much on here. That's a lot more than I thought. Makes the Zaitsev contract look like a discount (though I am of the belief he is a legitimately good player with upside).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lol Ceci would play top 4 mins on most of the poster’s teams that are blasting him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If Ottawa walks away I don't know what to say. They have cap space and the team doesn't have their first. Keep everyone and hope you finish like 8th OA or something instead of selling and tanking.

If they do walk I expect Dubas to extend an offer to him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Ottawa walks away I don't know what to say. They have cap space and the team doesn't have their first. Keep everyone and hope you finish like 8th OA or something instead of selling and tanking.

If they do walk I expect Dubas to extend an offer to him.

The pick is gone. Whether it ends up 1st overall or 8th overall it doesn't matter. It would be irresponsible to make decisions based around trying to give up a worse pick to the Avalanche. If they're in a situation where they're going to lose these guys for nothing next summer they're going to need to make some hard decisions for the better of the long term outlook of the team.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Ceci is pretty awful but this is how arbitration works for defensemen. When you play as much as Ceci has done, he will get a decent amount of $

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, no he isn’t...

Have u watched more than the games he played against ur team? lol.

I’m not saying he’s an all-star, but he can comfortably play on the 2nd pair, especially if he’s paired with a good 2nd pair D.

Hes not. And in 3 years when Ceci has the shine of being a former high pick worn off of him, the majority of Sens fan will also see this. Hes a bottom pairing caliber D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad