Friedman: Ceci awarded 4.3M AAV in Arbitration

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
in ceci's defense there's probably only like 5 dman in the league that wouldn't look like shit on a team that won 25 games and gave up 300 goals or whatever.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
in ceci's defense there's probably only like 5 dman in the league that wouldn't look like **** on a team that won 25 games and gave up 300 goals or whatever.
also he plays a lot of minutes. If you look at like cash/minutes he probably is a good deal even, and if you play a lot then having some rough stats like his plus minus will be exaggerated. The same thing happened to Schultz in Edmonton.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As a Leafs fan I've always thought he was decent. With a good partner he could be a decent #4/5.
Money is a bit steep but not nearly the worst deal for a D man. Could be worse.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why would they walk away? Who are you going to replace him with? The arbitrator ruled based on the current market--its honestly not that bad. Especially when you consider the idea Ottawa's about to purge all high end talent.

There is no way they would walk away from it. They'll pay him his 4.3m and then trade him when that contract is up and he's still an RFA if they really don't want him. I'd say there is 0% that they walk away from the arbitrator's ruling. Not sure if it has ever even happened...

Edit: I do have to include a warning though, if a team owner would ever do that it'd be Ottawa's lol.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The only consolation for Ottawa in accepting the award is seeing other teams get hit with flow on effects Ceci-level guys getting paid.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
also he plays a lot of minutes. If you look at like cash/minutes he probably is a good deal even, and if you play a lot then having some rough stats like his plus minus will be exaggerated. The same thing happened to Schultz in Edmonton.

I mean there is value in being healthy and playing a ton of minutes as a dman. He isn't worth 4.3 million, but there's a reason why guys like him stick around in the NHL for a decade

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
in ceci's defense there's probably only like 5 dman in the league that wouldn't look like **** on a team that won 25 games and gave up 300 goals or whatever.

Montreal wasn't as bad in goals against but they were a trashfire on defence. Weber played hurt, Alzner is already in Josh Gorges Buffalo Sabres 2018 mode, Benn sucked, Schlemko sucked, etc.

That said, Jeff Petry had a really good season and stepped up far more than he was expected to. Mike Reilly was able to walk in and make people wonder if he's better than originally presented (likely just had a hot streak), and the rookies all showed some good skill in the systems compared to their counterparts.

What I'm getting at is that there are players who don't look good because their team sucks, and players who make their teams suck. Ceci makes his team suck. He ain't gonna play for a contender for $1M and suddenly be this great contributor.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Right. I'm suggesting that maybe he wants out

Yes cause he really wants to leave the team he grew up loving, and who thinks he is a god sent straight from heaven, to go to a team offering less money for a lesser role, where he is going to be held accountable.

Makes total sense to me

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm not so sure. There's pretty much not a d-man in the league who is more thrown to the wolves than Ceci. What we know is that he's nowhere near able to be effective in those minutes, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't look vastly different playing next to a Gardiner, for example. That would be a better neutral zone player than he's used to, and easier minutes than he's pretty much ever got.

Not that I'm actually arguing to acquire him, it's just that extreme situations like his can be hard to judge.
Usually you can speculate what players could be capable of, but in the cases of guys like Ristolainen and Ceci, we might only know what they absolutely can not do.

...and yet they are paid like proven second pairing guys.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
As for Ceci, Ott will need that to hit the contract floor as the rest of their AHL team other than Stone and Karlsson (before they're traded) don't make enough to hit it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->