Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
That is an interesting point so I looked it up to be sure. Here are the rules:
  • Non-playoff teams (1–16) are part of a special lottery, which randomizes the #1 pick to avoid tanking strategies. We’ll come back to that in more detail.
  • Teams that lose in the first two rounds of the playoffs (17–28) are ranked by reverse order of regular season standings, except that a team that won their division picks later in the round than a team that lost their division, even if the latter had the better record. So the earliest a regular-season division winner can pick is #25.
  • Teams that lost in the Conference Championships (29–30) are seeded by reverse order of regular-season points.
  • The Stanley Cup loser picks #31 and the Stanley Cup winner picks #32.
I would say the regular season finish does have an impact but it is more complicated that I initially thought. Still the lower they finish the better (and don't win the division -- ie root for Vegas) but of course if LA makes the Conference Championships then it will be bottom 4 regardless.
Beat me to it…good summary of the draft for 1st round.
I think rounds 2-7 are based strictly on points…

I will. The ridiculous deal he gave to Elvis made it necessary to move Korpi for peanuts. I believe Gary was responsible for most of the return on this trade.
Gary Bettman did something positive for the CBJ? Preposterous! 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: NotWendell

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Look guys it's easy to say now because this is how it went but I figured something was impending yesterday when I saw Elliotte Friedman was scheduled for the Jackets twitter live show but just believe me that I thought that😂

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Random thought that occurred to me:

If Columbus can't find a taker for Quick at 50% discount, perhaps Quick would be amenable to a mutual termination of the contract, allowing him to sign wherever he wants at a lower cap hit?

Columbus wouldn't get an asset back in return, but would save around $600k in cash and generate some goodwill with Quick (again assuming he's interested in that option). Also some "unofficial goodwill" for Columbus with whichever team signs him.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not listening to the live twitter thing but apparently they had jeff rimer on it (presumably right after explaining to him that twitter is like the radio now) and apparently he said that chychrun's dad (who works for the panthers) told him that jakob would welcome a trade to columbus (according to a tweet i saw)

Reactions: LJ7

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Low key hope they somehow manage to bring Korpi back on a good contract :D Just always seemed like a great team guy and seems to be back on his A-game after getting his hips fixed. But if he gets regular playing time with the LAK and continues to do well, I'm sure there'll be plenty of takers in the summer.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Interesting

That was previously speculated. If true, one thing I like about Jarmo as a GM is that he has a dollar figure and term in mind for every player based on their value and won't go above it. I know it may rub players the wrong way, especially ones who expect to get paid more just to hang around in Columbus, but with the reality of the salary cap you really can't afford to overpay players.

That said, there's certain player valuations I disagree with him on. For instance, Erik Gudbranson.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Jovavic

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Random thought that occurred to me:

If Columbus can't find a taker for Quick at 50% discount, perhaps Quick would be amenable to a mutual termination of the contract, allowing him to sign wherever he wants at a lower cap hit?

Columbus wouldn't get an asset back in return, but would save around $600k in cash and generate some goodwill with Quick (again assuming he's interested in that option). Also some "unofficial goodwill" for Columbus with whichever team signs him.

He could also not report like Greg Campbell and the team would suspend him.

If they mutually agree, Quick would have to clear waivers first.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I wonder why the team was willing to give 4 years to 30 year old Gudbranson but wouldn’t give 6 (I presume?) to 26 year old Gavrikov

Yes I am aware Gudbranson was a UFA but you’re negotiating with Gavrikov to prevent him from being one so it’s basically the same thing.

Curious if the split is 3/4 vs 6/7? I thought, if they extended him, it'd be for 5 years.

Perhaps it's more than just term and Gavrikov wants to test the market this summer as well.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I wonder why the team was willing to give 4 years to 30 year old Gudbranson but wouldn’t give 6 (I presume?) to 26 year old Gavrikov

Yes I am aware Gudbranson was a UFA but you’re negotiating with Gavrikov to prevent him from being one so it’s basically the same thing.
Maybe he wanted 8 years. That length would bring him to the end of career most likely. I know Gudbranson got 4 years because that is what was happening last year, those type of d-men got in the neighborhood of a 4x4.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe he wanted 8 years. That length would bring him to the end of career most likely. I know Gudbranson got 4 years because that is what was happening last year, those type of d-men got in the neighborhood of a 4x4.
If Gavrikov wanted 8, which I severely doubt but I’ll play into it, then yeah trading him is the right call.

If it was 6, I probably would have gave it to him

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Gavrikov wanted 8, which I severely doubt but I’ll play into it, then yeah trading him is the right call.

If it was 6, I probably would have gave it to him
Its almost the Anderson thing all over again. We know by the end we will probably be glad it didnt happen but it still sucks. Atleast this time we got a 1st out of it

Reactions: KJ Dangler

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I suspect that after Gubranson they did not want to give out other long term contracts because they have spent so much draft capital on defensemen who could be in the NHL within 3 years.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Lark

From the comments that Jarmo made when he signed Gud , they needed that mean , nasty defenseman that would not allow teams to stand in front of our goalie . Gavrikov is solid , but he’s not overly physical … in all honesty , I’m sure with all the defenseman coming , they don’t want to be tied to Gav for more than a few yrs max

Reactions: VT and Toe Pick

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kings fan coming in peace. How does Korpi handle the puck outside his crease?
Because if Quick plays a game for you guys make sure to duct tape him to his posts.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So Jarmo trades a couple players for a late first and some around here are already claiming he's redeemed himself. Guess what.....this team still sucks, is still in last place, is still terrible at developing prospects, is still a terribly constructed roster and the goalie he acquired is not an asset that will help this team get better in the future. But that late first will surely save this team along with all the other youth that he's prematurely added to the NHL roster. It's gonna take a lot of moves between now and the beginning of 2023-24 season to re-construct this roster and give the team a "chance" to win every night.

Yet you want Jarmo to continue to do this? Brick by brick since 2013.

Good luck to Gavy and Korpi in LA. Even though I personally think they are both just "serviceable" players they both always gave everything they had for the team and I admire that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad