Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Let’s see…

1) Why would we get any bad press for taking Quick? He’s a pure cap dump. We aren’t the one who traded away a franchise legend in his likely last year. Whether or not Quick shows up to play for us, I doubt Jarmo or anyone cares. He’s just a contract at this point. CBJ getting any bad press for this would just be from idiots.

2) People are upset about this return because it’s a package deal and we could’ve gotten (maybe) an additional 3rd for Korpi on his own? Well, think of it this way. At the draft, if you had the #32 pick, and a team offered you the #23 pick for the 32 + a 3rd rounder, would you make that trade? What about for a 3rd and 4th? f***ing of course you would, either way. You would be the worst GM in the league if you didn’t.
Are people mad at CBJ? I see a lot of Kings fans mad at Blake (and neutral fans thinking what Blake did was wrong), but I don’t see anyone mad at CBJ about it.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
i was using the one that the athletic posted a couple years ago, which uses GSVA. the math i did in my head was slightly off. here's another chart that doesn't use GSVA (which has some flaws imo)

View attachment 659982

according to this chart:
LAK picksValueBOS picksValue
1st (23OA)198.911st (32OA)132.71
3rd (87OA)18.103rd (96OA)13.99
4th (128OA)4.78
TOTAL217.01TOTAL151.48

as you can see, the LAK pick is significantly more valuable than the entire boston package.

portzline's sunday gathering last week said:
1. boston wanted olivier included
2. boston and cbj had an agreement in place
3. the deal fell apart because cbj wouldn't take money back

the implication there is that olivier would have been included in the final trade.

1. I've never hard of NHL GMS using a value chart for the draft. NFL, yes, but not NHL. Doesn't mean they don't but it certainly hasn't come up in the coverage I read/watch and I read/watch every NHL draft.

2. Even using this chart, LA has the 8th best record in the league which puts them at 25th overall. That drops you to 181.80 + 17.1 = 198.9. Better, yes. Significantly better? Perhaps your idea of significant and mine are different. Significantly better to me a top 15 pick regardless of what fancy charts have to say.

3. Again. Boston wanting Olivier and CBJ including him are two entirely different things. The reported deal I've seen was a 1st and 3rd. If Olivier was to be included I'm glad it imploded. I've grown to really like him as a player.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
1. I've never hard of NHL GMS using a value chart for the draft. NFL, yes, but not NHL. Doesn't mean they don't but it certainly hasn't come up in the coverage I read/watch and I read/watch every NHL draft.
there's a behind the battle from the draft a couple years ago where a team called them trying to trade up. jarmo asked josh flynn about the value chart, flynn said it was aligned. jackets ended up liking a guy on their board and turned down the trade.

so, yes… nhl gms absolutely use the chart. the jackets specifically have produced and published a video about their GM referencing it!
2. Even using this chart, LA has the 8th best record in the league which puts them at 25th overall.
tankathon has them at 23rd in the draft order.
3. Again. Boston wanting Olivier and CBJ including him are two entirely different things. The reported deal I've seen was a 1st and 3rd. If Olivier was to be included I'm glad it imploded. I've grown to really like him as a player.
my point was that it was reported that boston asked for olivier to be in the deal AND that cbj and boston agreed on a deal. that doesn't necessarily mean that he was in the deal, but it (to me, anyway) suggests that he was.

olivier not being in this LAK deal is definitely a plus.

Reactions: stevo61

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Are people mad at CBJ? I see a lot of Kings fans mad at Blake (and neutral fans thinking what Blake did was wrong), but I don’t see anyone mad at CBJ about it.
I’ve seen other posts on here mention it, but I don’t really know. Either way it’s dumb. LA did this, Quick is just a contract. It’d be the best cap dump ever for us if he just didn’t report lol

Reactions: DJA

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm ok with this, and it doesn't make the CBJ look bad IF Quick doesn't report.
I get it; he's going from a playoff team that he's won Stanley Cups with, to a last place team - he's put in his time, and probably feels he wants a better landing spot for the last few weeks of his career.

I think he's actually still a pretty good goalie.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I mean I don't really blame them. He won them two cups and then was dumped to the last place team in the league. They did him dirty but this can be a dirty business.

Just hate seeing Columbus dragged through the mud yet again. But some of that is of our own making as well.
He signed a 10 year deal as a goalie, he should have known he had a high potential to eventually go south. It still went better than Luongo and he didnt have to come out and say "I wish I never signed this deal".

Being drug through the mud by a bunch of rando's is nothing. Like I said, it wont last long

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Hard to imagine any playoff team going for Quick at this point... Ottawa and Vegas maybe have issues but surely Quick won't be enough to solve them.

Sorry for a silly question but isn't the final draft pick order decided by the final results, i.e. Stanley Cup winner gets the 32nd pick and so on? Or is it only the top-4 teams that are decided by the final results, and the picks 17-28 are decided by regular season standings? I'm trying to wrap my head around what it says on Tankathon but it's kinda hard. "Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks" is the part I guess.

So to maximize the LA pick, we'd want them to finish as low as possible but still make the playoffs, and not advance to the conference finals, right? Essentially we'd like them to win the first round of playoffs and then lose in the second round, and Korpi and Gavy playing well throughout.

I can get behind that. :)

Reactions: hn777

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Werent we working on a first and a third (and maybe a 4th/5th) with no salary retention for Gavy?
So yes I get it's likely a better first round pick, but if you had that deal then you could have likely traded Korpy for a 3rd round pick (or potentially packaged Korpy and a 4th/5th for a 2nd round pick)?

The big downside here is the potential bad press - namely from Quick. Now it makes the Kings look much worse than us (for trading him in the first place) but there is a chance he comes out and says I won't play for them (which again will make the CBJ look bad). Smaller chance he shows up and points out how bad we are while he's here or as he's leaving.

Boston trade atleast doesn’t happen like that

All the bad press is on LA.
Columbus will try to find another playoff team for him and do their part for him

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I’m actually fine with just the 1st and 3rd, Quick can be dropped off at the nearest Goodwill drive thru as far as I’m concerned. Even more so if he’s gonna pout.

His .876 save % will do wonders for the tank now that Elvis is heating up.

eh, rental goalies never really fetch all that much. rittich got a third rounder a couple years ago. dubnyk got a fifth. and that was in a stronger goalie market than this one.

Scott Wedgewood, who is worse than Korpisalo, got a 3rd last year.

Compare Korpisalo's numbers this year on a bad team to what MAF's were last year on a similarly-bad Chicago team.

Reactions: hn777

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Hard to imagine any playoff team going for Quick at this point... Ottawa and Vegas maybe have issues but surely Quick won't be enough to solve them.

Sorry for a silly question but isn't the final draft pick order decided by the final results, i.e. Stanley Cup winner gets the 32nd pick and so on? Or is it only the top-4 teams that are decided by the final results, and the picks 17-28 are decided by regular season standings? I'm trying to wrap my head around what it says on Tankathon but it's kinda hard. "Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks" is the part I guess.

So to maximize the LA pick, we'd want them to finish as low as possible but still make the playoffs, and not advance to the conference finals, right? Essentially we'd like them to win the first round of playoffs and then lose in the second round, and Korpi and Gavy playing well throughout.

I can get behind that. :)
I think a playoff team will go for quick. If anything they will use him as an emergency 3rd goalie, like the CBJ did with Kinkaid at the 2019 deadline.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
we'll retain 50% to move him
Still nearly $3M in cap. There are only a few playoff-bound teams that could do it, and then still a matter of if they’d want to (and that number of teams could shrink if those teams add another player or two prior to the deadline).

Definitely not impossible, but also don’t think it’s a sure thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad