Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
And here I was getting clowned on for saying Gavrikov > orlov

Yes I am aware orlov was just first start of the week
I mean Orlov is clearly better offensively, but Gavrikov has been crapped on by our own CBJ fans all year long.

Still, his current numbers are unsustainable and he’s prone to defensive lapses with him pinching way more than before, but he’s a solid d man and some folks might regret saying he was an absolute liability

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I mean Orlov is clearly better offensively, but Gavrikov has been crapped on by our own CBJ fans all year long.

Still, his current numbers are unsustainable and he’s prone to defensive lapses with him pinching way more than before, but he’s a solid d man and some folks might regret saying he was an absolute liability
Everyone is a liability with the Larsen just go out there and do something defensive strategy. It's a small sample but Gavrikov is living proof that strategy is a huge component of winning games. Talent can overcome a lot of things but the complete lack of any coherent defensive strategy is not one of them.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Everyone is a liability with the Larsen just go out there and do something defensive strategy. It's a small sample but Gavrikov is living proof that strategy is a huge component of winning games. Talent can overcome a lot of things but the complete lack of any coherent defensive strategy is not one of them.
it's also yet another indictment on the public-sphere hockey analytics folks, who have once again severely undervalued a big-minutes defenseman on a bad team. drew doughty, seth jones, brandon montour… plenty of others, too. now gavrikov as well.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He still sucks and isn't worth a first round pick. The guy is a joke of a player. Just look at his stats.... yada, yada, yada....

I know what he's doing isn't sustainable but the fact he can show that with a good team should tell you something about who he was playing with. He's a very good two-way defenseman. He's going to get paid and the pre-trade hype wasn't just hype. You have to look at the little things, his actual play and recognize the situation. I'm not saying he's a word beater but he's a top 4 guy on pretty much any team in the league.

It may ultimately be said that the Kings got the best trade of the season between Gavi and Korpi

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1678314025186.png

L.A. is tied in points with Vegas for the Pacific Division, though Vegas has a game in hand. They also have a point over Dallas, but the Stars have a game in hand.

How far would L.A. have to fall to miss the playoffs (and thus, split the 1st round pick into two 2nds)? Calgary has 71 points in 65 games and Nashville has 69 points in 61 games (for a better points % than Calgary, even after selling lol). Those are the first two teams out of the playoff picture in the West.

But given how bad the West is in general, a lot of the talk of "well, at least the Kings pick will be better than Boston's!" might have been premature. I know they aren't the "sexy" pick to come out of the West but at this point, why shouldn't they at least be considered?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I know what he's doing isn't sustainable but the fact he can show that with a good team should tell you something about who he was playing with. He's a very good two-way defenseman. He's going to get paid and the pre-trade hype wasn't just hype. You have to look at the little things, his actual play and recognize the situation. I'm not saying he's a word beater but he's a top 4 guy on pretty much any team in the league.
I agree with everything, except I’m not ready to call him a two way defenseman, he is certainly defense first, with weak shot from the point and occasional pinching(he’s been doing it more often lately)

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
L.A. is tied in points with Vegas for the Pacific Division, though Vegas has a game in hand. They also have a point over Dallas, but the Stars have a game in hand.

How far would L.A. have to fall to miss the playoffs (and thus, split the 1st round pick into two 2nds)? Calgary has 71 points in 65 games and Nashville has 69 points in 61 games (for a better points % than Calgary, even after selling lol). Those are the first two teams out of the playoff picture in the West.

But given how bad the West is in general, a lot of the talk of "well, at least the Kings pick will be better than Boston's!" might have been premature. I know they aren't the "sexy" pick to come out of the West but at this point, why shouldn't they at least be considered?
It's kind of like an opposite tank scenario. 10+ points is a pretty good cushion with 17 games left, especially now that they've got two good goaltenders. Chances are pretty good it'll remain the 1st rd pick.

I think L.A. has a reasonable chance of making the WCF too - hell, even all the way to the Stanley Cup final where they'd more than likely be beaten by whoever comes out of East. L.A. vs Seattle or Vegas could go either way. Colorado might be tough. Anyhow just my 2 cents, but I agree with your sentiment that they could sneakily go pretty far and thus the pick won't be low. But I think there's also a reasonable chance that they A) don't win the Division, B) exit in the first round, C) exit in the second round. In which case that pick is much better than Boston's, who will win their Division and may go all the way.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
View attachment 665606

Yeah the kings are a sneaky good contender. The thing holding them back was goaltending. If korpi is the answer, they can easily go on a run.

I still like Vegas, Colorado, and maybe Seattle more than them though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t you think they’re playing TOO good ? I’m having a seller’s remorse now

Korpi playing too good was the reason we wanted him off the team, remember? I'm just hoping he'll be available July 1st.

For Gavrikov there's no question he was very underappreciated this year in Columbus. It's harder to imagine him coming back but we have a very obvious need for him. None of our LD prospects are remotely close to replacing him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
it's also yet another indictment on the public-sphere hockey analytics folks, who have once again severely undervalued a big-minutes defenseman on a bad team. drew doughty, seth jones, brandon montour… plenty of others, too. now gavrikov as well.

Again, Larsen isn’t the issue and Gavrikov really has only so much of an impact on the Kings team as a whole, as they are a VERY good team that seemingly fits his style perfectly.

Watching most of the game tonight, this LAK team couldn’t be any more different than the current CBJ team. Not only the team strategy (with and without the puck) -but- the individual effort and ability/skill of the players on the defensive side of the game was probably the most eye opening. Very similar to the Torts (and, yes, Larsen) era CBJ teams of the past.

They were playing no forecheck, essentially 4-5 men back, up 2-0 halfway through the game, something a Torts/Larsen coaching tandem would implement during the past successful years, and many people HATED IT.

This LAK team has players up and down the lineup that are VERY GOOD with their sticks defensively, skate hard and play the body on every shift. THAT is the difference. What would happen if Larsen asked the current team to do that?? What happened to the last coach that did??

The players WILLING and ABLE to be impactful defensively, while making SMART and TEAM oriented decisions, with and without the puck, consistently throughout the game. All things the majority of the current CBJ players can not or will not do.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As a Sharks fan, I never want the Kings to win. But now they have Gav and Korpi plus a former Sharks coach......I want to see them win a little. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds :)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
No. Korpi looks the exact same

Gavrikov is reinvigorated but that’s no surprise. He’ll get his first long term playoff games.

Neither was going to be retained so we sold high
It was pretty sweet of the CBJ to give Gavi a 2 week vacation to get his legs back before the playoffs :)

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Don’t you think they’re playing TOO good ? I’m having a seller’s remorse now

I don't understand why? What good would it have done to retain them for the rest of the season and then lose them for nothing in the summer?

Gavrikov it seems they had no chance of retaining, I don't know what it would've taken to get him to sign, there was that one rumor they weren't offering him enough term but overall it really seemed to me like Gavrikov really wanted to go UFA, so probably any deal that got him locked up would've been viewed as a gross overpay.

Korpi is a bit different, all things considered I think it was the best move to trade him and I'd imagine Korpi thinks the same, so from that POV if he liked it here I see no reason why he wouldn't come back. But if he has a good run with the LAK there's probably a team in the league that offers him a better deal and more opportunity than the CBJ can.

Between the Elvis deal and "having to" play Tarasov the goalie situation looks a bit tricky. I'd like 3 goalies for next season tbh, even if having goalies take up 3 roster spots is not without it's problems. Tarasov has been good mostly but he's hurt all the time and while Elvis seems to have gotten over the worst, I wouldn't feel confident going with Elvis/Tarasov pairing. Imagine Tarasov is hurt and Elvis starts the season anything like he did this one and they might be looking at a situation where they are in a deep hole by November again... that would be a nightmare.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Again, Larsen isn’t the issue and Gavrikov really has only so much of an impact on the Kings team as a whole, as they are a VERY good team that seemingly fits his style perfectly.

Watching most of the game tonight, this LAK team couldn’t be any more different than the current CBJ team. Not only the team strategy (with and without the puck) -but- the individual effort and ability/skill of the players on the defensive side of the game was probably the most eye opening. Very similar to the Torts (and, yes, Larsen) era CBJ teams of the past.

They were playing no forecheck, essentially 4-5 men back, up 2-0 halfway through the game, something a Torts/Larsen coaching tandem would implement during the past successful years, and many people HATED IT.

This LAK team has players up and down the lineup that are VERY GOOD with their sticks defensively, skate hard and play the body on every shift. THAT is the difference. What would happen if Larsen asked the current team to do that?? What happened to the last coach that did??

The players WILLING and ABLE to be impactful defensively, while making SMART and TEAM oriented decisions, with and without the puck, consistently throughout the game. All things the majority of the current CBJ players can not or will not do.

I'm not going to say everything wrong with this team is all Larson. There are definitely a lot of execution issues and player type issues with our construction.

That said, you're praising the Kings team strategy. That is something that is absolutely set by the coaches. Now maybe you're saying because of roster construction Larson can't coach that way, but in the meantime I'm just going to say he doesn't.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm not going to say everything wrong with this team is all Larson. There are definitely a lot of execution issues and player type issues with our construction.

That said, you're praising the Kings team strategy. That is something that is absolutely set by the coaches. Now maybe you're saying because of roster construction Larson can't coach that way, but in the meantime I'm just going to say he doesn't.

I’m saying because of the roster construction they can’t play effective defensively, regardless of anything Larsen wants or does.

And they literally fired the last coach for trying to hold the players accountable regarding defensive play and work ethic, along with a “defense first” mindset/strategy for the team, that the majority of players and fans seemingly felt was the wrong way to coach a winning hockey team.

Many people around here act as if Larsen hasn’t been apart of VERY SUCCESSFUL teams/coaching staffs, over multiple seasons.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Well the roster is constructed mainly of juniors and minor leaguers this season so it's hard to expect to have an effective system against full NHL squads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad