Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kings fan coming in peace. How does Korpi handle the puck outside his crease?
Because if Quick plays a game for you guys make sure to duct tape him to his posts.
Nothing special but I don’t recall him ever turning the puck over or costing a goal behind the net. The role is taken by Elvis.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
So Jarmo trades a couple players for a late first and some around here are already claiming he's redeemed himself. Guess what.....this team still sucks, is still in last place, is still terrible at developing prospects, is still a terribly constructed roster and the goalie he acquired is not an asset that will help this team get better in the future. But that late first will surely save this team along with all the other youth that he's prematurely added to the NHL roster. It's gonna take a lot of moves between now and the beginning of 2023-24 season to re-construct this roster and give the team a "chance" to win every night.

Yet you want Jarmo to continue to do this? Brick by brick since 2013.

Good luck to Gavy and Korpi in LA. Even though I personally think they are both just "serviceable" players they both always gave everything they had for the team and I admire that.
1st off the point about Quick is moot. Quick needed to be delt for LA to acquire Gavi and Korpi and having the cap space the CBJ taking him made sense. Who knows maybe 1 of the 100s of reason speculated that Boston backed out because the found a taker for Smith and Jarmo didn't want to risk that happening again. Remember this just speculation

And yes this team still sucks. In year 2 of a rebuild., The only prospect who hasn't really progressed is Silly. Johnson and Jiříček (albeit in the minors) look the real deal. Boqvist is looking better. You also have Chinny who people were concerned with his off the puck abilities translating to the NHL and prior to his injury his off the puck abilities have been the best part of his game. Not to mention Marchenko. He is gonna be a star. And thats even leavling the guys waiting to come up, Jarmop has done a decent job building the talent pool the past couple of seasons and they are still devolping. The state the team is in this season is all down to the injuries. If everyone was healthy, would the CBJ be playoff team? Most likely not. But they deffo wouldn't be in the basement in the thick of the Bedard race at the deadline.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Be honestly. Although Gavrikov is a warrior, he hasn't been able to win fights with tough players. He has a an average first pass. Gudbranson is better at this. Unfortunately, Erik is not too mobile. But his salary is $4,000,000, Vladislav would want more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Be honestly. Although Gavrikov is a warrior, he hasn't been able to win fights with tough players. He has a an average first pass. Gudbranson is better at this. Unfortunately, Erik is not too mobile. But his salary is $4,000,000, Vladislav would want more.

I have always given you my honest opinion. Gavrikov wins his fair share of battles, way more than Guddy does.

Gudbranson's first pass is substantially worse, he's looked passable lately because they just let him flip picks high now. No more passing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have always given you my honest opinion. Gavrikov wins his fair share of battles, way more than Guddy does.

Gudbranson's first pass is substantially worse, he's looked passable lately because they just let him flip picks high now. No more passing.
I saw as Gavrikov played against through player. Probably you forgot his play at the boards, for example. Gudbranson has better hockey vision. But we must get an ideal player to Boqvist. Gudbranson is the 3th pair d-man. Werenski, xxx -- xxx, Boqvist -- Bean, Gudbranson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I saw as Gavrikov played against through player. Probably you forgot his play at the boards, for example. Gudbranson has better hockey vision. But we must get an ideal player to Boqvist. Gudbranson is the 3th pair d-man. Werenski, xxx -- xxx, Boqvist -- Bean, Gudbranson.

I didn't forget those things, I simply see the opposite of what you're claiming to see.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
these types of quips ignore that the jackets were a legit contender from 16-17 through 18-19 and beat the leafs in the bubble in 19-20. it's not like they've been in a rebuild for the last decade.
Only one of those teams was a Stanley Cup contender.

The last decade:

If they haven't been rebuilding for most of the last decade then what has led to the 9th worst record in the league since Jarmo took over?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The last decade:

If they haven't been rebuilding for most of the last decade then what has led to the 9th worst record in the league since Jarmo took over?

Jarmo took over in February 2013, J.D. (first time) was that offseason prior. So you need to adjust the filter by one season.

Jackets have a .539 points % in that time, 22nd in the league.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

The last decade:

First of all that includes a season before Jarmo was here. Second, if you remove the post-Bob/Panarin seasons (when we actually for all intents and purposes entered a rebuild) then CBJ is in the top 10 for wins from 2012-2013 to 2019-2020.

I understand you can’t really discount the last few years, but we have not been “rebuilding” for a decade.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
which one? the 108 point team in 16-17 that had the vezina winner? or the 17-18 team that swapped saad for panarin and added dubois? or the 18-19 team that added matt duchene?

all three of those teams were good enough to be considered 'contenders' – the first two just had abysmal luck in the playoffs thanks to the divisional seeding and some bad bounces.

The last decade:

it's a fallacy to look at where they are now (last place) and where they were at the start of the decade (last place before jarmo took over) and assume that nothing happened or changed at all in the 10 years between.

it hasn't been one continuous rebuild, they're in a second rebuild. in between, they had five playoff appearances and three years of being a legit contender.

the first stage of a rebuild is acquiring assets, and jarmo's knocked that part out of the park.

since the rebuild started two years ago:
- five 1st round picks (four in the top 12)
- two potential gems in the 3rd round (dumais + svozil)
- a massive free agent signing (gaudreau)
- extensions for two star players (laine + werenski)
- the best ticket (as of today) in the bedard lotto
- another first round pick via los angeles
- $15m+ of cap this offseason + more moveable contracts

the second stage is converting assets into production, whether that's by player movement or asset maturation. they have more than enough ammo to do the former this summer, and enough young NHL talent (johnson, jiricek, marchenko) to see improvement via the latter.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Makes me sad we couldn’t keep both of these guys

Just wait until UFA, there is a chance, albeit small, to bring them back. We happen to have lineup holes exactly where they are-

- no left side middle pair guy, prospects are several years away.
- tarasov-merzlikins is a tank duo, we need to bring in a third goalie.

Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Just wait until UFA, there is a chance, albeit small, to bring them back. We happen to have lineup holes exactly where they are-

- no left side middle pair guy, prospects are several years away.
- tarasov-merzlikins is a tank duo, we need to bring in a third goalie.
the gap wasn't money with gavrikov, but term. if the rest of the market won't offer that term (or jarmo changes his mind), i could definitely see him coming back.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
the gap wasn't money with gavrikov, but term. if the rest of the market won't offer that term (or jarmo changes his mind), i could definitely see him coming back.

I also don't rule out that the team being brutally awful is a part of it. If the Jackets have a good June (draft, trades) then we can make a better case to players on July 1st.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
these types of quips ignore that the jackets were a legit contender from 16-17 through 18-19 and beat the leafs in the bubble in 19-20. it's not like they've been in a rebuild for the last decade.
I can't support this but your opinion is at least debatable. I don't deny that during that particular 4 year period of time the team was mosly competitive but that was then and it has been completely downhill ever since.

I'm also done with the Jarmo discussion. I'm not trying to change anyones opinion on him and the discussion is about as productive as the tank discussion. By the way I support that too.

As for the trade deadline Jarmo has always been pretty good at getting things done around the deadline. He seems to have had some sort of a mandate (whatever it was) and he got it done.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I can't support this but your opinion is at least debatable. I don't deny that during that particular 4 year period of time the team was mosly competitive but that was then and it has been completely downhill ever since.

I'm also done with the Jarmo discussion. I'm not trying to change anyones opinion on him and the discussion is about as productive as the tank discussion. By the way I support that too.

As for the trade deadline Jarmo has always been pretty good at getting things done around the deadline. He seems to have had some sort of a mandate (whatever it was) and he got it done.
The teams been going downhill since we were forced to rebuild?!??

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad