Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Let me rephrase - we need to bring in a third goalie next year that is better than the other two.
Greaves? :dunce:

Correct me if I'm wrong but somewhere along the way your opinion of Elvis has shifted from "goalies are unpredictable, who knows if he bounces back next year" to "he's a perfect goalie for the tank". What happened?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Greaves? :dunce:

Correct me if I'm wrong but somewhere along the way your opinion of Elvis has shifted from "goalies are unpredictable, who knows if he bounces back next year" to "he's a perfect goalie for the tank". What happened?

I think what you're seeing is the difference between my long term thinking about goalies (who knows) and my planning for next year. You can't go into next year counting on Elvis and Tarasov. They might be okay but it's a bad bet. And with Tarasov likely to miss most of the year anyways you might as well start by carrying three.

So basically give yourself the best odds to win but expect the unexpected.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I don't like parting with Gavrikov & Korpisalo, but at least that is a nice boost for tanking this season when you lost your best healthy D and best goalie (when healthy).

My view on Hutch is badly outdated, but at least back then he was mediocre at best.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Good deal. I'm interested to see how they handle the assets now. I don't see much chance of LAK not making the playoffs. The pick caries more value than Boston's first and I like the first round of this draft.

However, if this can land, as a package, an upgrade and young center... that would be great. Looking at the schedules remaining I see a very good chance CBJ drops to 5th before the lottery.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I can't support this but your opinion is at least debatable. I don't deny that during that particular 4 year period of time the team was mosly competitive but that was then and it has been completely downhill ever since.

I'm also done with the Jarmo discussion. I'm not trying to change anyones opinion on him and the discussion is about as productive as the tank discussion. By the way I support that too.

As for the trade deadline Jarmo has always been pretty good at getting things done around the deadline. He seems to have had some sort of a mandate (whatever it was) and he got it done.
I agree we had one really good year (18-19) and we went all in. We won our one and only playoff series.
Unfortunately even when we were at our best we were in a a wild card spot each season - so competitive but not outstanding.
I guess in my mind even at our best we were the 7-8th in the conference. To finally win a series we had to go thru a rebuild. Now that Tampa series was awesome, but it's forced us to go to the bottom of the league. I just hope at our peak we're better than a wild card.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
korpi stellar in his kings debut.
gavrikov at one point of the game was on the ice for 17 shots FOR and just 3 shots against at even strength.

kings fans on their board and twitter are absolutely raving about both players so far.
Glad they’re playing well. I wish them both all the luck in the world and a quick first round exit

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland

Tbh I wonder how this was "supposed to go", like I'm sure they didn't just plan to have one kid stand without a player. Most logical thing would be that it was Korpi's job to begin with, and if not, then somebody in the organization messed up math pretty badly and I wonder how that happened. For the amount of times I've seen this thing happen I can't seem to remember if it's just the players usually or players+goalie.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Glad they’re playing well. I wish them both all the luck in the world and a quick first round exit
The main thing is we wish them to make play offs above all :D

Frankly, I don’t care who wins the cup if it’s not CBJ so if Korpi and Vlad get rings, I’m cool with it

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Let me rephrase - we need to bring in a third goalie next year that is better than the other two.
an elvis/tarasov duo is concerning, but i'm almost more iffy on the tarasov half of that.

most of that is because i've accepted that elvis pretty much can't be moved. he's shown flashes lately of being a good goalie. maybe he recharges this offseason and comes back as a decent goalie playing in front of a better team.

it's not a sure thing, but whatever. tarasov as an insurance plan for that? the talent is there but he'd get claimed on waivers if they sent him down and he's too injury prone to be reliable imo.

if i was in jarmo's shoes, i'd seriously look into trading tarasov (as part of a bigger package) and signing korpi as a UFA.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
if i was in jarmo's shoes, i'd seriously look into trading tarasov (as part of a bigger package) and signing korpi as a UFA.

I'd consider that.

I still want more consideration to running with three goalies. There are practical constraints we can discuss and I'd rather talk about that than just dismiss it because it is unusual. There are a few clubs that do it each year, it's doable.

One issue is that goalies need their share of starts. In this case these three have been injured so often that we've had a fourth stringer sit as a backup some nights. And Tarasov hasn't even been able to play a backup's share in several years.

I think the bigger issue is that we've got extra guys we want to carry at F and D too. At least one F. Probably two D as well - I'd like to scratch Gudbranson plus one of Bean, Boq, Blanks, Peeke, and Jiricek on a given night. But if we're carrying three goalies then we can only have two extra skaters in the press box, anymore and we are at 24 players and we have to waive someone.

So I don't want to trade Tarasov, the practical constraint is that we might be choosing between moving him and moving one of the young D. So maybe we should trade him.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
this is absurd. according to naturalstatrick, Gavi has been on the ice for 30 (!!!) shots for and just SIX shots against at even strength so far for the kings in the 2 games he’s played.

that’s mind blowing numbers.

Reactions: LJ7 and GoJackets1

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
this is absurd. according to naturalstatrick, Gavi has been on the ice for 30 (!!!) shots for and just SIX shots against at even strength so far for the kings in the 2 games he’s played.

According to naturalstattrick, he was on ice (5v5) for 19 SF and 8 SA just last night against the Caps, something doesn't add up?

EDIT: oh nvm, I guess you posted that before the game :D

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1678203023601.png

Not sure it's sustainable but good grief.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

And here I was getting clowned on for saying Gavrikov > orlov

Yes I am aware orlov was just first start of the week

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad