Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Gavrikov and Korpisalo to LA for ‘23 1st (conditional), ‘24 3rd And Quick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Confirmed now

I wonder how that works for flipping it in a trade? Can you trade a pick with those conditions?

Its a pretty safe 1st but I guess there is just extra layers to a deal. Recieving team gets those 2nd rounders or get Columbus 24 1st maybe if LA misses the playoffs

Reactions: Fro

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I wonder how that works for flipping it in a trade? Can you trade a pick with those conditions?

Its a pretty safe 1st but I guess there is just extra layers to a deal. Recieving team gets those 2nd rounders or get Columbus 24 1st maybe if LA misses the playoffs

My guess is either
A) Those conditions just transfer to whoever the pick is traded to
or
B) The pick other conditions between the CBJ and whoever they trade with (lets pretend it Arizona.) So it would look like:

If the pick remains a 2023 1st, the pick goes to Arizona. If the pick becomes 2 2nds, a 2024 1st goes to Arizona.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
The interesting thing about the condition on LA's first is that:

A. We need them to keep winning to make sure the first doesn't turn into a second.
B. We don't want them to win too much as the lower the first the better.

Currently they are 2 points out of the 5th best record in the league. But only 4 points from 14th.

They have a nice 9 point cushion over the Flames for the last wild card.

Oh and they play the Jackets on 3/16. 10:30 PM EST start.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Would Quick be interested in being a goalie coach?
Kind of funny, I thought the same thing lol. I actually do wonder how different style goalies would be as coaches, they obviously understand the basics but the style that actually made him a champion is hard for most goalies to replicate. Someone like Quick being so athletic would probably be a good mentor for Korpi but maybe less so for Merzlikins

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

A. We need them to keep winning to make sure the first doesn't turn into a second.

Currently they are 2 points out of the 5th best record in the league. But only 4 points from 14th.

Return seems a bit low at a 1 and 3 given that they took back Quick's cap hit to make the deal work, but he's on a back diving deal so cash isn't too massive. When you hear what Boston gave up for Orlov and Hathaway, kind of expected a deal more like that. Seem to be short a 2nd rounder. But, it's done and CBS moves forward on a bad season.

Reactions: hn777

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Return seems a bit low at a 1 and 3 given that they took back Quick's cap hit to make the deal work, but he's on a back diving deal so cash isn't too massive. When you hear what Boston gave up for Orlov and Hathaway, kind of expected a deal more like that. Seem to be short a 2nd rounder. But, it's done and CBS moves forward on a bad season.
They got a more valuable 1st, I dont think anyone should be upset about that. Most fans had already turned on Jarmo and were calling for his head 4 days before the deadline because he didnt secure a 1st for Gavrikov and there were "no more available"

Reactions: We Want Ten

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Agree but just wanted to clarify that in the event LAK miss playoffs, the 2023 1st doesn’t become “a” 2nd, it becomes 2nd in both 2023 and 2024. Still Absolutely agree with preferring the single 1st. By a large margin.

Reactions: Toe Pick

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I can't see Jarmo spending any real time or effort trying to trade Quick. If some team calls and wants him, sure he'll trade him. But, Jarmo has better things to do with his time than burning up the phones on Quick.
Better things to do? Like arranging him a trip to the Zoo? :sarcasm:

Reactions: koteka

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
No love for Korpi. Sad.
Korpi will be greatly missed. Contract situations with Elvis (term and $ untradable given 2022-23 performance) and Tarasov (no longer waiver-exempt) made this inevitable…they weren’t going to carry 3 goalies next year. I’d love to have Korpi, especially the Korpi of the 2020 playoffs and of the past 2+ months. Timing of Korpi’s slump and injuries in 2021-22 and Elvis’ good play during that period forced a decision that was pretty obvious at the time, maybe not so much now. So here’s to Korpi having a great run with LAK and to Elvis continuing to find his game (but not too much, until Oct 2023).

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

They will make the playoffs, 99,9%.

It wouldn’t matter for the pick even if they won the President’s trophy. Playoffs will decide how high/low it is.

Reactions: hn777

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

It wouldn’t matter for the pick even if they won the President’s trophy. Playoffs will decide how high/low it is.
I believe regular season points determine draft order, except the four conference finalists. So if LA makes the WCF, it doesn’t really matter, but if they lose first or second round, we’d ideally want them to have the fewest regular season points of all playoff teams.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

That is an interesting point so I looked it up to be sure. Here are the rules:
  • Non-playoff teams (1–16) are part of a special lottery, which randomizes the #1 pick to avoid tanking strategies. We’ll come back to that in more detail.
  • Teams that lose in the first two rounds of the playoffs (17–28) are ranked by reverse order of regular season standings, except that a team that won their division picks later in the round than a team that lost their division, even if the latter had the better record. So the earliest a regular-season division winner can pick is #25.
  • Teams that lost in the Conference Championships (29–30) are seeded by reverse order of regular-season points.
  • The Stanley Cup loser picks #31 and the Stanley Cup winner picks #32.
I would say the regular season finish does have an impact but it is more complicated that I initially thought. Still the lower they finish the better (and don't win the division -- ie root for Vegas) but of course if LA makes the Conference Championships then it will be bottom 4 regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad