Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just a thought, Gabriel Carlsson doesn't seem to have much consistency to his stride, even leaving last year aside. For a spindly kid that age that just seems to be a strength and durability issue. I have seen him be a fast player before, but he was the slowest on the ice last game. We always hear that kids need to play to develop, but in that situation I think it would be better for him to have more off days and focus on form and on getting stronger. It's not his reads of game situations that are holding him back at this point. Put Clendening in there.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Just a thought, Gabriel Carlsson doesn't seem to have much consistency to his stride, even leaving last year aside. For a spindly kid that age that just seems to be a strength and durability issue. I have seen him be a fast player before, but he was the slowest on the ice last game. We always hear that kids need to play to develop, but in that situation I think it would be better for him to have more off days and focus on form and on getting stronger. It's not his reads of game situations that are holding him back at this point. Put Clendening in there.
Totally agreed. His skating used to look like a strength, but it has definitely dipped.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Totally agreed. His skating used to look like a strength, but it has definitely dipped.

o_O

Carlsson's skating never got worse and Murray's skating never got worse. Murray is still a good skater and Carlsson IS NOT a good skater. Carlsson's skating has NEVER been a strength and I can guarantee you have never seen him "be a fast player".

AND his "reads" are terrible also, not to mention that his SLOW acceleration/foot speed absolutely negatively affects the speed of his "decision making". Everybody want to "bash" Dubi and Jenner for the ONLY THING they can on the Chlowoski goal, look at Carlsson on that play. Unnecessarily puts himself WAY out of position, for TOO LONG. Hold the guy there only to get beat BY that guy and not get back in time in the slot to do anything.

You guys got WAY TOO HYPED up on the guy, believing we had "made room" for him on a playoff roster, while ignoring all the injuries on defense and the fact that he played like 6-7 minutes a game.

He's terrible.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Carlsson's skating never got worse and Murray's skating never got worse. Murray is still a good skater and Carlsson IS NOT a good skater. Carlsson's skating has NEVER been a strength and I can guarantee you have never seen him "be a fast player".
1. What does this conversation have to do with Murray? Yeah, he's a good skater. We're not talking about him.
2. I never said he was fast. I said he was a good skater. The two are not mutually exclusive. Murray isn't exactly a burner either, but is still a great skater when talking about mechanics.

Read any draft profile of Carlsson's and it will note that he is a good skater who is strong on his skates. In the past, I've seen fluidity in Carlsson's skating. It looks clunkier now.

Good grief you are confrontational.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Good grief you are confrontational.

8E7F0111-5F3E-4B52-8DE4-76D1D6FE9DCD.jpeg

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Foudy with 2 goals, second G was EN.

whats the record for EN goals in a season? I think he wants it.
As weird as it is and people like to say oh its just an EN goal so it doesnt really count but its actually something Columbus could really use the last few years :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
o_O

AND his "reads" are terrible also, not to mention that his SLOW acceleration/foot speed absolutely negatively affects the speed of his "decision making". Everybody want to "bash" Dubi and Jenner for the ONLY THING they can on the Chlowoski goal, look at Carlsson on that play. Unnecessarily puts himself WAY out of position, for TOO LONG. Hold the guy there only to get beat BY that guy and not get back in time in the slot to do anything.

You guys got WAY TOO HYPED up on the guy, believing we had "made room" for him on a playoff roster, while ignoring all the injuries on defense and the fact that he played like 6-7 minutes a game.

He's terrible.

Defensive injuries? We healthy scratched Nutivaara for the guy. IIRC only Murray was injured with a broken hand.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You DONT remember correctly.

Game 3, we dressed

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Harrington (!!!!)-Carlsson
Nutivaara, Quincey

Injured: Murray

Game 4 and 5

Nutivaara-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Quincey-Carlsson
Harrington

Injured: Werenski, Murray

So, even when healthy with Werenski, Carlsson still played. Your point has no validity. If Werenski AND Murray were healthy, Carlsson still plays (because Harrington got pulled and Carlsson stayed in, even with the injuries, leading me to believe Carlsson was higher on the depth chart).

Also, regardless of Carlsson's low TOI (because it was low), he was still viewed by the coaching staff as one of the 6 best defenseman we had. Because he played in every game of that series.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Pretty hard to not be excited about him.

LITERALLY all of the young/prospect goalies.

I mean no, they wont all "pan out", but damn this is good for the organization. I might be bigger on Korpisalo than most, but it wouldn't be out of the question to see Merzlikins and at least 1 more guy be on his level, or better in a couple/few years. Which says a lot.

Superb "goalie depth".

Reactions: CBJSTH

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Fans outside of our fan base have been sleeping on our goalie prospects for awhile and it’s about time they get recognition! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad