Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Live Sport und News

Mueller, Rossi and Berni practicing with ZSC Lions and they're interested in keeping at least Berni until NHL camps start. They're talking to the Bluejackets about insurance and their plans with Berni.

It would be good if Berni was loaned back to Zurich until December when the AHL is scheduled to start up, or maybe even loaned to Zurich all year if the States remains a shitshow. Can you tell me how he ranks within ZSC's plans? Would he get top pair minutes, maybe some PP time?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It would be good if Berni was loaned back to Zurich until December when the AHL is scheduled to start up, or maybe even loaned to Zurich all year if the States remains a shitshow. Can you tell me how he ranks within ZSC's plans? Would he get top pair minutes, maybe some PP time?

Last season he mostly played PK and on the 2nd (of 4) pairing. Not much on the PP. Could be part of the negociations though...who knows. He did play a lot of PP with the national junior squads and he did well there. His offensive game is, besides physicality, where he has the most room for improvement though. His shot isn't all that great and he's not a great playmaker either but he's been solid defensively for the Lions pretty much from game 1 and he has excellent hands allowing him to move the puck really well, even when under pressure.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Live Sport und News

Mueller, Rossi and Berni practicing with ZSC Lions and they're interested in keeping at least Berni until NHL camps start. They're talking to the Bluejackets about insurance and their plans with Berni.

Got done quickly. Berni to remain with the Lions until Bluejackets camp starts in November. Situation will be re evaluated then.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'm shocked we didn't sign meyer...cbjprospects did not seem as shocked when we were talking earlier...i will defer to him

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Meyer had basically the same scoring rate this year as in his draft year, in a league only slightly harder. That's just not much progression. A putatively offensive player drafted in the 6th round normally wouldn't get an NHL contract unless they had established a lot more progress.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Calvin Thurkauf has signed a one-year deal with EV Zug (NL). The contract does have an NHL out clause.

He wouldn't need one anyway since the Swiss Leagues signed the trade agreement with the NHL. KHL now the only major European league that hasn't signed the deal.

He would't need one for the Jackets anyway. This is a good thing for the player.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Out of curiosity does anyone know where The Athletic ranked the CBJ prospect pool?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Out of curiosity does anyone know where The Athletic ranked the CBJ prospect pool?
To add to cslebn, we were 25 last year so a bump to 19 is progress. That said, it depends on how you define "prospect pool", Pronman's list is "organizational rankings", not prospect pools. TA defines this list as players 22 or younger on Sept 15 regardless of number of NHL games played. That's new this year. So PLD, Tex and Bemmer are all in the rankings (it also means a kid like Auston Matthews makes the list for the Leafs).

I find it hard to consider PLD a prospect anymore as he is already coming off his ELC and will be making "bigger boy" money and he's not an in-house developed player we can "add" to our roster...he's already been here for three seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Just a note. They aren't "the Athletic's" rankings. There is no editorial board for the Athletic that collaborates on articles like this. Scott Wheeler ranked them 31st back in January with no NHL players considered and this morning Corey Pronman ranked them 19th but his rankings include all players 22 and under regardless of where they are in their development.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
To add to cslebn, we were 25 last year so a bump to 19 is progress. That said, it depends on how you define "prospect pool", Pronman's list is "organizational rankings", not prospect pools. TA defines this list as players 22 or younger on Sept 15 regardless of number of NHL games played. That's new this year. So PLD, Tex and Bemmer are all in the rankings (it also means a kid like Auston Matthews makes the list for the Leafs).

I find it hard to consider PLD a prospect anymore as he is already coming off his ELC and will be making "bigger boy" money and he's not an in-house developed player we can "add" to our roster...he's already been here for three seasons.

I like that this accounts for youth in the NHL, where we normally get penalized for having youth in the NHL instead of in the minors.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I like that this accounts for youth in the NHL, where we normally get penalized for having youth in the NHL instead of in the minors.
It certainly has its good and its bad. I really like Pronman's work...he writes well and usually backs up his work with thoughtful explanations and details.

As for whether you like or don't like that the rankings include the more established players depends on what you are trying to learn from it. For many fans we already know we are a young team. What I want to know is what help is on the way (without having to trade for or sign as a free agent). I certainly hope PLD, Tex and Bemmer will continue to grow and add even more to the roster in the future but they are not the calvary coming to save the day from the rear...they are already in the vanguard (sorry, DW and I are re-watching GOT).

FTR, Pronman has always been a Marchenko honk...probably why I am so excited about Marchenko as well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ok the good news is we're 19th. But that is still in the bottom half of the league & it includes 3 guys who are NHlers (maybe Bemstrom is not). So take them out of the equation Jackets are probably somewhere mid=20's. Not exactly a rosy picture especially given the dearth of picks in this year's draft.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Ok the good news is we're 19th. But that is still in the bottom half of the league & it includes 3 guys who are NHlers (maybe Bemstrom is not). So take them out of the equation Jackets are probably somewhere mid=20's. Not exactly a rosy picture especially given the dearth of picks in this year's draft.
You don’t see Bemstrom as an NHL player? He’s only 21, and has a very good shot. He scored just as much as Wennberg/Jenner, more than Robinson or Nash.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Bemstrom is going to have to work hard to get a real chance, just because one faucet of his game is NHL level doesn't mean Torts is going to give him ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille