Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Bemstrom is going to have to work hard to get a real chance, just because one faucet of his game is NHL level doesn't mean Torts is going to give him ice time.
I think he has good playmaking ability too. I was just saying his shot is already very good. Bjorkstrand has come a long way, I think Bemstrom could be the same type of guy.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Pronman gave the organization props for have the 19th best group despite not having a 1st round pick in 2 of the past 3 years.

I understand this is Pronman’s work and not some panel of experts (like other rankings). But when you consider the afore mentioned lack of 1st rounders, plus the fact the last 3 drafts were as a playoff team, I’m not that upset with the rankings.

IMO, Jarmo has done a good job in both draft selection and development of prospects. While Jarmo hit on PLD, his other 1st rounders leave me wanting more. When you look at his work in rounds 2-7, he has done very well. If his 1st rounders were as productive as others, the CBJ might still be playing this season.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think he has good playmaking ability too. I was just saying his shot is already very good. Bjorkstrand has come a long way, I think Bemstrom could be the same type of guy.

He needs to spend at least one full season in the AHL, or maybe another one in Sweden if he feels he's too good for the minors.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You don’t see Bemstrom as an NHL player? He’s only 21, and has a very good shot. He scored just as much as Wennberg/Jenner, more than Robinson or Nash.

:dunno:. My point was maybe he should be included as a prospect not an NHLer for purposes of this ranking. Maybe he will be a regular maybe not.

Reactions: Cowumbus

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Is Tarasov expected to come over this season or will he be on loan again to a European team to maintain steady work?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
It certainly has its good and its bad. I really like Pronman's work...he writes well and usually backs up his work with thoughtful explanations and details.

As for whether you like or don't like that the rankings include the more established players depends on what you are trying to learn from it. For many fans we already know we are a young team. What I want to know is what help is on the way (without having to trade for or sign as a free agent). I certainly hope PLD, Tex and Bemmer will continue to grow and add even more to the roster in the future but they are not the calvary coming to save the day from the rear...they are already in the vanguard (sorry, DW and I are re-watching GOT).

FTR, Pronman has always been a Marchenko honk...probably why I am so excited about Marchenko as well.

what's the CBJ top 10 list looking like from your perspective. couple of under the radar guys
that will be good players, IMO.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Pronman gave the organization props for have the 19th best group despite not having a 1st round pick in 2 of the past 3 years.

I understand this is Pronman’s work and not some panel of experts (like other rankings). But when you consider the afore mentioned lack of 1st rounders, plus the fact the last 3 drafts were as a playoff team, I’m not that upset with the rankings.

IMO, Jarmo has done a good job in both draft selection and development of prospects. While Jarmo hit on PLD, his other 1st rounders leave me wanting more. When you look at his work in rounds 2-7, he has done very well. If his 1st rounders were as productive as others, the CBJ might still be playing this season.

In Jarmo’s defense he also drafted Werenski In the first and that has been a home run.

The draft that really stings is that 2013 draft. All 3 first rounders left a whole lot to be desired. But to your point on the late rounders, he did get Bjorkstrand in the 3rd that year which is the only saving grace from an otherwise forgettable draft.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Didn't he switch his rankings to any player under 23 in the organization? Guys like PLD and Bemstrom are included, despite not being prospects is my understanding.

The actual pipeline is pretty bare:
1/2/3 (in some order) - Marchenko, Voronkov, Tarasov. Marchenko won't get here until 2022 at the earliest and Voronkov in 2023, if I have those contracts correct (I may be off a year), unless we're still counting Foudy as a prospect, then he's in the mix.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Didn't he switch his rankings to any player under 23 in the organization? Guys like PLD and Bemstrom are included, despite not being prospects is my understanding.

The actual pipeline is pretty bare:
1/2/3 (in some order) - Marchenko, Voronkov, Tarasov. Marchenko won't get here until 2022 at the earliest and Voronkov in 2023, if I have those contracts correct (I may be off a year), unless we're still counting Foudy as a prospect, then he's in the mix.

you guys like vehvilainen at all, or just much more bullish on tarasov at this point?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
you guys like vehvilainen at all, or just much more bullish on tarasov at this point?

Tarasov's size is a huge advantage. He's generally been viewed with more upside from people I've read. Vehvilainen looked ok in his first year in North America. A lot of rotating bodies in Cleveland in front of him throughout the year didn't help. I still think he can be pretty good -> kind of a lower ceiling, higher floor, imo.

Reactions: neelynugs

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
2013 was a bad draft to have 3 first round picks. Not many players drafted after Wennberg are better than Wennberg. But we got Bjork in the 3rd. Both Wennberg and Bjork would be first rounders in a redraft.

2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

2017 is an interesting draft for the CBJ, because nobody in rounds 3 - 7 has played more games than Bemstrom. Plus we got Tex by trading Kolesar who has played 1 NHL game. The guys picked with the 1st and 2nd picks we lost (traded to Vegas, given to Vancouver because of Torts) have played fewer games combined than Davidsson, our 6th round pick (part of the Duchene deal).

2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

If we didn’t have 2 guys from the 2017 draft and Foudy already in the NHL, our prospects would look better. Marchenko would be our #4. And that is with us basically giving up the 2019 draft and Davidsson to go for it with Panarin and Bob plus giving up the top of the 2017 draft to protect people / dump Clarkson contract and get Torts.

Reactions: rotsbu

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
2013 was a bad draft to have 3 first round picks. Not many players drafted after Wennberg are better than Wennberg. But we got Bjork in the 3rd. Both Wennberg and Bjork would be first rounders in a redraft.

2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

2017 is an interesting draft for the CBJ, because nobody in rounds 3 - 7 has played more games than Bemstrom. Plus we got Tex by trading Kolesar who has played 1 NHL game. The guys picked with the 1st and 2nd picks we lost (traded to Vegas, given to Vancouver because of Torts) have played fewer games combined than Davidsson, our 6th round pick (part of the Duchene deal).

2017 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

If we didn’t have 2 guys from the 2017 draft and Foudy already in the NHL, our prospects would look better. Marchenko would be our #4. And that is with us basically giving up the 2019 draft and Davidsson to go for it with Panarin and Bob plus giving up the top of the 2017 draft to protect people / dump Clarkson contract and get Torts.

Agreed on 2013, the only forwards 2nd line or better that were taken in the 1st after Wennberg were Mantha and Burakovsky. Pretty meh first round.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
what's the CBJ top 10 list looking like from your perspective. couple of under the radar guys
that will be good players, IMO.
IMHO (in order of potential )

1. LW Kirill Marchenko

2. C/W Liam Foudy

3. C Dmitry Voronkov

4. D Andrew Peeke

5. G Danil Tarasov

6. RW Emil Bemstrom

7. RW Trey Fix Wolanski

8. G Velni Vehvalainen

9. G Matiss Kivlenieks

10. D Eric Hjorth

Note: Texier, Elvis are grads

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The centers drafted after Wennberg in the first round:

Curtis Lazar - split time between the Sabres and Rochester this year, best season was 20 points

Frederik Gauthier - 12 points in 61 games for the Leafs this year, best season was 14 points

Michael McCarron - 2 career goals in 69 NHL games, spent the last two seasons in the AHL

Marko Dano - hey, we know that guy, 0 points in 3 games for the Jackets this year, 0 points in 8 games for Colorado last year

Jason Dickinson - 21 points in 65 games for the Stars this year, 2 assists and -6 in 15 playoff games in the playoffs

2nd round centers in 2013 have a combined 68 points in the NHL led by Jacob De La Rose

Mattias Janmark-Nylen is the only third round center who has done anything, 21 points for the Stars this year, 5 assists in 14 games in the playoffs. Carter Varhaeghe did finally break through to the NHL this year to play 52 games for the Lightning.

Andrew Copp (best season - 28 points) and Tyler Motte (hey, we know that guy) were 4th rounders.

Alan Quine has had the best career of centers drafted in the last 3 rounds in 2013. He split time between the Flames and AHL this year and has 28 career points.

Note: I went by positions and stats listed here. 2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com I did look up playoff stats for the 2 Stars and Varhaeghe just to see if they were busting out in the playoffs.

What is really interesting is that none of the centers picked after Dano would be playing ahead of Riley Nash.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
  1. LW Kirill Marchenko
  2. C/W Liam Foudy
  3. C Dmitry Voronkov
  4. D Andrew Peeke
  5. G Danil Tarasov
  6. RW Emil Bemstrom
  7. RW Trey Fix Wolanski
  8. G Veini Vehvalainen
  9. G Matiss Kivlenieks
  10. D Eric Hjorth
Kind of hard to disagree much with this list (anyone can argue bumping someone up or down a spot but that's nitpicking). That's a thin pipeline. When this board does its 2020-2021 rankings its going to be a real stretch to go past ten and think many of these guys have any real chance of being solid NHLers.

From a goalie standpoint I wonder if Thome has a higher ceiling than V2 and Kivs just as a late bloomer. I listened to his interview with Dylan Tyrer on the Prospect Pipeline Podcast (worth a listen, he was a good interview). The dude didn't start playing hockey until he was like 11 years old and still got drafted at 18 and scholarshipped to UND. Most of these goalies were probably on skates at 4 and in goalie pads by 7 or 8. That means he has accomplished a lot in a very short period of time. Who knows where he will in 2-3 more years.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

1. LW Kirill Marchenko

2. C/W Liam Foudy

3. C Dmitry Voronkov

4. D Andrew Peeke

5. G Danil Tarasov

6. RW Emil Bemstrom

7. RW Trey Fix Wolanski

8. G Velni Vehvalainen

9. G Matiss Kivlenieks

10. D Eric Hjorth

This list makes me feel like any prospect pool ranking that has the CBJ in the back half is very, very appropriate.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

1. LW Kirill Marchenko

2. C/W Liam Foudy

3. C Dmitry Voronkov

4. D Andrew Peeke

5. G Danil Tarasov

6. RW Emil Bemstrom

7. RW Trey Fix Wolanski

8. G Velni Vehvalainen

9. G Matiss Kivlenieks

10. D Eric Hjorth

This is pretty close to my list.

1. Marchenko
2. Foudy
3. Voronkov
4. Peeke
5. Tarasov

6. Fix-Wolansky
7. Berni
8. Vehvilainen
9. Hjorth
10. Christiansen? Angle?

Bemstrom is not a prospect, he played a lot more games than Texier or Elvis, but if I was ranking him he'd be in the top 4 or 5 guys.

It's certainly a very thin pool at this point. What's more striking to me is that we had a pool a year ago that had

Marchenko
Foudy
Voronkov
Peeke
Tarasov
Texier
Gavrikov
Merzlikins
Bemstrom
Stenlund
etc....

And it was often ranked near the bottom. I think it should be obvious at this point that that was a mistake, that Jarmo's scouts did better than Wheeler, Pronman, and company thought. When you get a top 4D, a top 6F, and a #1G in one season out of your pool, not to mention plenty of other great fill-in performances, then you've done a great job. I argued it last year, this year I won't. It is very thin, hopefully we can get some 2nd and 3rd rounders to re-stock.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here is SKA St. Petersburg (Marchenko's team, he is #86) against Ak Bars Kazan (Voronkov's team, he is #10).

You can see Marchenko battling for pucks but he doesn't get on the scoresheet.

Voronkov has apparently been a force, but you can't see any of his checking here. He helped set up the first goal, secondary assist.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Swedish daily journal Expressen has published an rumor which tells
Columbus Blue Jackets forward prospect Emil Bemstrom is coming loan to HIFK Helsinki
SM liiga team , so do you guys know is that rumor really true ?

What type player Bemstrom is and what are his strengths and weaknesses.
As a HIFK fan i would like to get some prospect information of him
because i haven't seen much of Bemstrom's games.
Also some highlight videos would be great.

Thanks.

Lobodomy

Feb 25, 2019
Finland
Vehvilainen loaned to his hometown team, JYP Jyväskylä. Not surprising as hes been training with them for awhile.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Swedish daily journal Expressen has published an rumor which tells
Columbus Blue Jackets forward prospect Emil Bemstrom is coming loan to HIFK Helsinki
SM liiga team , so do you guys know is that rumor really true ?

What type player Bemstrom is and what are his strengths and weaknesses.
As a HIFK fan i would like to get some prospect information of him
because i haven't seen much of Bemstrom's games.
Also some highlight videos would be great.

Thanks.

We haven't heard about it.

In the Liiga he'll probably fill a similar role to what he did for Djurgardens. In 2018-19 Bemstrom led the SHL in goals, as a 19 year old. He feasted on the powerplay, kid has a very nice one-timer.

At the NHL level he didn't stand out as much. He's combative but he wasn't very strong on the puck at the NHL level. He is shifty and I'm hoping he can develop into more of a puck carrier, we didn't get to see that in the NHL. It would be good for him to play in the Liiga and work on his offensive game.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I presume these loans would just be since the next NHL season doesn’t start until December?
Yes and I think as long as they're back or on the roster 7 days before training camp, they don't need to go on waivers. Also mentioned in the other thread but Jarmo wants certain players going to Europe. He mentioned some players didn't even play in the playoffs and if they wait until training camp, that would be like 9 months of no hockey. Also agents said they don't mind players going over as long as they have an NHL out clause.

Here's a something from The Athletic from a couple of weeks ago.

If general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen gets his wish, several Blue Jackets players will be back playing hockey again as soon as next month — but not in Columbus and not for the Blue Jackets.
Before the Blue Jackets even left the bubble in Toronto, Kekäläinen began having conversations with players in which he urged them to consider starting the 2020-21 season overseas and not wait for the NHL’s tentative December start.
He expects to speak with several more players about it this week when he and his staff continue their player exit interviews, he told The Athletic.
“We’re going to look into all of that with our prospects and roster players,” Kekäläinen said. “If you don’t play … we had some guys that didn’t get into the lineup (in Toronto), so they haven’t played since March 12.
“Let’s say we start in December. That’s nine months. You cannot take nine months off from hockey, I don’t care what you do off the ice for training or on the ice for training. You have to play games where you can be in a competitive environment and improve and play games and develop the right way.”

Reactions: rotsbu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->