Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It’s going to be a very interesting summer and camp.

There are going to be 7-8 prospects fighting for a spot that are close to NHL ready that we’ve seen very little of none of so far: Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Vehvelainen, Texier, Foudy, Bemstrom, Stenlund. Mix them
in with Milano, Carlsson, Robinson. It’s a very deep group and it feels like the team is about to look very different and younger yet again.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

There are going to be 7-8 prospects fighting for a spot that are close to NHL ready that we’ve seen very little of none of so far: Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Vehvelainen, Texier, Foudy, Bemstrom, Stenlund. Mix them
in with Milano, Carlsson, Robinson. It’s a very deep group and it feels like the team is about to look very different and younger yet again.
It's cute that you think any of those forwads will get a chance under Tortzzz. Assuming all UFA's gone, last game lineup will be replaced by Foligno, Sedlak and maybe Robinson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's cute that you think any of those forwads will get a chance under Tortzzz. Assuming all UFA's gone, last game lineup will be replaced by Foligno, Sedlak and maybe Robinson.

I think your principle applies to marginal players. Dubois and Werenski went straight into the top 5 as teenage rookies. Dubois took about 6 weeks to make it up there. Torts saw Werenski playing the Spring before his rookie year and immediately slotted him in as the main PP QB for the following year.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Dubois and Werenski were top-ten picks. Bjorkstrand is probably a better comparison point for someone like Texier or Bemstrom, both from a stylistic standpoint as well as a prospect pedigree one.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I think your principle applies to marginal players. Dubois and Werenski went straight into the top 5 as teenage rookies. Dubois took about 6 weeks to make it up there. Torts saw Werenski playing the Spring before his rookie year and immediately slotted him in as the main PP QB for the following year.
Big guys over 6.2".
And he just couldn't send PLD down.
And i said "Forwards."
It's Torts - he's marginal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's a great deep young group, but I think the youth flow in more steadily, not as a deluge.

I think VV is still under contract in Finland? And I bet Foudy will get sent down to the OHL regardless of how good he looks, we want him to develop into a scorer. Milano I bet is traded.

I bet there'll be one LW scorers job to fight over between Texier and Bemstrom, with Texier winning it. Bemstrom still has to round out more, so I expect him in Sweden next year.

I think the rookies will be ( if I had to guess now) Texier, Gavrikov, and Merzlikins, with Robinson, Carlsson, and Stenlund continuing to go up and down for another year.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Dubois and Werenski were top-ten picks. Bjorkstrand is probably a better comparison point for someone like Texier or Bemstrom, both from a stylistic standpoint as well as a prospect pedigree one.
So score a goal - go to 4rth line exercise? Because this is Torts way.

t148b9e41d34e8b0b3.jpg

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I also recall Dubois was elevated from 4th line wing duty only because of injury and failure of others, not because of Torts keen insight tagging him as a top line center from the get-go.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I also recall Dubois was elevated from 4th line wing duty only because of injury and failure of others, not because of Torts keen insight tagging him as a top line center from the get-go.
Exactly. He had no choice. Panarin picked PLD up and run away, so Torts couldn't do anything. And let's not forget "I don't see anything in him that you see Jarmo."

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think Bemstrom is under contract for one more year in Sweden.

Correct. Typically SHL players have NHL outclauses, but not AHL outclauses. Bemström could come over and see if he makes the Jackets out of camp. If he doesn't, then he's assigned to Sweden. If he wants to stay in North America and play in the AHL - technically, it could happen since that's what Kukan did (he essentially left Sweden with a valid contract). But Bemström isn't likely to burn bridges like that. His father is a coach in the DIF organization.

Reactions: EspenK

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Correct. Typically SHL players have NHL outclauses, but not AHL outclauses. Bemström could come over and see if he makes the Jackets out of camp. If he doesn't, then he's assigned to Sweden. If he wants to stay in North America and play in the AHL - technically, it could happen since that's what Kukan did (he essentially left Sweden with a valid contract). But Bemström isn't likely to burn bridges like that. His father is a coach in the DIF organization.

I'm not too sure he actually can. NHL and the Swedish hockey federation have an agreement that only first rounders are allowed to leave for the AHL with a valid contract. First of all Kukan is not Swedish so therefore it might not apply to him and second he was never drafted. Pretty sure it's just NHL or SHL for Bemström, if not the Swedish hockey federation would make an exception for just this one case, which I doubt they would since they want to keep the talents in Sweden as long as possible.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not too sure he actually can. NHL and the Swedish hockey federation have an agreement that only first rounders are allowed to leave for the AHL with a valid contract. First of all Kukan is not Swedish so therefore it might not apply to him and second he was never drafted. Pretty sure it's just NHL or SHL for Bemström, if not the Swedish hockey federation would make an exception for just this one case, which I doubt they would since they want to keep the talents in Sweden as long as possible.

Luleå had a valid argument that Kukan was under contract without an AHL outclause. But they seemed to have dropped it since what were they suppose to do- force Kukan on a plane and to play for them? Did they really want a player who didn't want to be there? Since he wasn't Swedish, he had no incentive to play nice with the SHL or any Swedish team.

But if Bemström really wanted to play in the AHL - the same situation could apply since as the Jackets are finding out with Panarin - you can't force a player to want to be on your team. I just doubt Emil would want to burn bridges and many Swedes don't want to play in the AHL anyway. Too many Swedes have failed to develop in the AHL and get stuck there without call-ups. However, if Bemström nearly makes the Jackets out of camp and needs lots of playing time in the AHL and would be the first call-up when an injury hits - then maybe the Jackets would be able to get away with a "conditioning stint" in the AHL if he needed a few weeks to get his feet wet in North America.

IMO, I suspect Bemström stays with the Jackets to the end of training camp and is assigned to DIF if he isn't going make the team.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
See? Can't let this happen with AP. This year Jarmo, this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad