Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I'm hoping we can one day hook up with the Cyclones and have our entire farm system in-state. Buffalo's new ECHL affiliate after that could result from the Vancouver Canucks buying the Idaho Steelheads, and moving the Utica Comets of the AHL to become a promoted Steelheads, and the ECHL Steelheads moving to Utica, which would be sold after a year and then possibly hook up with Buffalo.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
7. KIRILL MARCHENKO, RW, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (+32)
Last year: not ranked in top 100
This year: 69th
Marchenko’s path is one we’ve seen among many Russian prospects: a potential high-impact player who falls in the draft because of uncertainty over when he might come to North America, a la Kaprizov. Marchenko, 19, is under contract through 2021-22 in the KHL, meaning he can’t debut in the NHL until 2022-23 at the earliest. He’s a big, rangy goal-scorer with an accurate shot who projects to ascend to a top-six role at the NHL level someday.
Future Watch 2020: The NHL's top 10 rising prospects - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: Xoggz22

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I assume the Jackets are going to really slow play Tarasov? I'm curious if anyone knows when he may give the AHL a hook.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I assume the Jackets are going to really slow play Tarasov? I'm curious if anyone knows when he may give the AHL a hook.
Several reports have him coming to North America next year and playing in the AHL. He's under his ELC so it would make sense. CBJ wanted him to get one year as a starter in a man's league, get experience and development and a lot of playing time. Then come to play in the AHL to see where his progress/trajectory might be. I don't recall if his ELC was a slide rule last year or if he's only got 2 years remaining but it comes in line with the 2 year deals for Elvis and Korpi. This give the CBJ a real chance to know if their thoughts of Tarasov having the highest ceiling of the 3 will have a chance to be fulfilled. Timing works well for development plan and contracts.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Several reports have him coming to North America next year and playing in the AHL. He's under his ELC so it would make sense. CBJ wanted him to get one year as a starter in a man's league, get experience and development and a lot of playing time. Then come to play in the AHL to see where his progress/trajectory might be. I don't recall if his ELC was a slide rule last year or if he's only got 2 years remaining but it comes in line with the 2 year deals for Elvis and Korpi. This give the CBJ a real chance to know if their thoughts of Tarasov having the highest ceiling of the 3 will have a chance to be fulfilled. Timing works well for development plan and contracts.
Thanks for the response. If he does indeed come over what of Kiv and Vehvi? They have some real nice depth. The decision to let Bob walk was just good management. Much like Washington will let Holtby walk. Holtby's next contract will be fascinating to watch and important for the goaltenders union.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know the answer and could probably look stuff up and figure it out but maybe someone has a good handle on this already, but how the CBJ netminders are going to be impacted by the expansion draft may also help determine what happens with Tarasov and the timing of it.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Elvis is exempt from the expansion draft and Jarmo can protect Korpi as long as he signs a goalie to meet the bare-minimum requirement to count as an available goalie.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for the response. If he does indeed come over what of Kiv and Vehvi?

My assumption is Kiv is going to be kept around so they have a qualified goalie to "expose" in the Seattle draft next year. No other goalie qualifies.

For '20-'21:
NHL - Korpi/Elvis split 1a/1b
AHL - Vehvilainen/Tarasov split 1a/1b
Kiv is 3rd goalie in AHL - not sure if he'd get some time in the ECHL?

It's a bit of a transition year, imo. Vehvilainen/Tarasov are in a competition to become the #2 by '21, and one of Korpi/Elvis gets moved before their contract expires (hard to believe the team would sign both guys heading into their UFA years).

I could be wrong, but it's hard to stack that much goalie talent for too long. Eventually an offer comes along you can't refuse. You can look back at other organizations that had 3 legit NHL goalies at one time.

Reactions: rotsbu and EspenK

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
My assumption is Kiv is going to be kept around so they have a qualified goalie to "expose" in the Seattle draft next year. No other goalie qualifies.

For '20-'21:

It's a bit of a transition year, imo. Vehvilainen/Tarasov are in a competition to become the #2 by '21, and one of Korpi/Elvis gets moved before their contract expires (hard to believe the team would sign both guys heading into their UFA years).

I could be wrong, but it's hard to stack that much goalie talent for too long. Eventually an offer comes along you can't refuse. You can look back at other organizations that had 3 legit NHL goalies at one time.
What's the plan with Peter Thome? Another year in university? If he has another solid season, then what? Would he become a UFA?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

For '20-'21:

Good info..Thanks

ECHL is possible for Kiv. You are right though that you don't usually stack that much talent in the pipeline for long. Moves will get made.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What's the plan with Peter Thome? Another year in university? If he has another solid season, then what? Would he become a UFA?

The team holds his rights until August 15, 2021. Columbus Blue Jackets Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If he doesn't sign by then, he becomes a UFA. I would imagine he'd go back for his senior year? Hard to see where the organization would have a roster spot for him, considering they may have as many as 5 goalies in the NHL and AHL under contract next season, depending on what happens with Tarasov.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Good info..Thanks

ECHL is possible for Kiv. You are right though that you don't usually stack that much talent in the pipeline for long. Moves will get made.

The post was mostly my guess - built upon some reporting and "common sense." You will read or hear that "the plan is to bring Tarasov over and give him a season in Cleveland," but you never know for sure until it happens. And you never know if the team is going to be active with trades in the offseason - if they are, a goalie could be included in a trade (Forsberg, for example, was included in the Panarin trade).

Reactions: EspenK

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone else been listening to the "Prospect Pipeline" podcasts (ppp) on the CBJ Radio Network? I will admit I have not been listening to many of the CBJ podcasts since the season was suspended but I listened to the first three (ppp) today while chilling on the back patio. I know they throw the players a lot of softball questions but they have been interesting to listen to and I recommend them.

First three were Foudy, TFW and Christiansen. Next up are Tim Berni, V2 and Thome.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

For '20-'21:

Just my usual take on them - but I don't think Kiv is too good for the ECHL and VV and Tarasov still have a ways to go. The AHL is entirely appropriate for them next year and maybe even for the following year. I don't feel a logjam yet.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Just my usual take on them - but I don't think Kiv is too good for the ECHL and VV and Tarasov still have a ways to go. The AHL is entirely appropriate for them next year and maybe even for the following year. I don't feel a logjam yet.
Agree on Kiv and VV, haven't seen Tarasov. I can see the Monsters carrying 3 goalies, and giving the guys they have the most interest in the playing time. Lets face it, goalies get injured, and one of these guys will be going up and down next year. Kiv is much improved, but will probably be the odd man out. VV started off good, but became very pedestrian as the year progressed. Yes, some of it had to do with losing guys in front of him, but he let in a lot of bad goals that he should have had. He will improve. Columbus/Cleveland have good people in place coaching the goalies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone listen to the Thome interview? Was good stuff in there and he seems pretty likable.
  • Grew up wanting to play hockey but his mom told him "no" until he was 12...so amazing how far he has come in such a short span.
  • Played for three teams in one USHL season. I'd thought it was because he wasn't very good but it was more because (A) His first team wasn't very good and they needed scoring help so they traded him for another goalie plus offensive help and then (B) His second team traded him because they had a starter (who'd been injured when they made the trade to get him) but was now back so Thome wasn't going to play and Univ. North Dakota wanted him playing so they pulled strings to get him traded to a place where he would actually play.
  • Chose UND because of the goalie coach...mature thinking there (had an offer from OSU I think he said)
  • Confirmed he is going back to UND for his Senior season
I think about how late he got into hockey (12) yet got drafted just seven years later. Could be a late bloomer. :dunno:

Reactions: barriers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone listen to the Thome interview? Was good stuff in there and he seems pretty likable.
  • Grew up wanting to play hockey but his mom told him "no" until he was 12...so amazing how far he has come in such a short span.
  • Played for three teams in one USHL season. I'd thought it was because he wasn't very good but it was more because (A) His first team wasn't very good and they needed scoring help so they traded him for another goalie plus offensive help and then (B) His second team traded him because they had a starter (who'd been injured when they made the trade to get him) but was now back so Thome wasn't going to play and Univ. North Dakota wanted him playing so they pulled strings to get him traded to a place where he would actually play.
  • Chose UND because of the goalie coach...mature thinking there (had an offer from OSU I think he said)
  • Confirmed he is going back to UND for his Senior season
I think about how late he got into hockey (12) yet got drafted just seven years later. Could be a late bloomer. :dunno:

Did they mention if he'd be a starter next year? He had good numbers but still only started about 10 games. He's turning 23 and has never been a starting goalie.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Did they mention if he'd be a starter next year? He had good numbers but still only started about 10 games. He's turning 23 and has never been a starting goalie.
1) How would Thome know?
2) Not likely...its gonna be a shared net at best because Scheel is just a Junior next year so he will be back too (Lakewood, Ohio kid)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You know, if OSU had a much better program, Columbus might be apt to draft more former Buckeyes to have more players with a local connection on the team.
It's being worked on. Slowly. You don't overturn decades of "any hockey players pursuing Ohio colleges know to go to Miami - or, failing that, BGSU" overnight.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Throughout sports, many teams and coaches don’t want local kids because all their friends, families, acquaintances, etc are a big distraction.

Even if the Columbus suburbs and OSU were putting out a lot more NHL players, it wouldn’t mean that the Blue Jackets would go after them. Would a 20 year old from Columbus be better off playing here with people he went to middle school with always trying to get free tickets from him, his best friends always trying to get him to go out, and various people he knows around town telling him Torts isn’t using him correctly? Or would he have a better shot developing into an NHL player in a town where he doesn’t know many people outside the team?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Throughout sports, many teams and coaches don’t want local kids because all their friends, families, acquaintances, etc are a big distraction.

Even if the Columbus suburbs and OSU were putting out a lot more NHL players, it wouldn’t mean that the Blue Jackets would go after them. Would a 20 year old from Columbus be better off playing here with people he went to middle school with always trying to get free tickets from him, his best friends always trying to get him to go out, and various people he knows around town telling him Torts isn’t using him correctly? Or would he have a better shot developing into an NHL player in a town where he doesn’t know many people outside the team?
OK, I never played a varsity college sport but this sounds non-sensical to me. Do you have any articles or interviews you can cite that backs up your hypothesis?

I have never heard any story where any Buckeyes football coach ever said 'you know this kid can make our team better, if only he wasn't from Columbus or Ohio. We don't want his local family and friends being a distraction asking for free tickets to the games'.

Quite the opposite, I am sure the hockey team could always use more publicity and fans in the seats. A local Columbus kid starring for OSU would be a win-win. The truth is, the youth hockey programs in Columbus are clearly better than they once were and are probably still growing but how many stars have gone on to be impactful college hockey players?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don’t think it is a “we won’t take this kid because he is local” thing so much as if two kids are close and you can only take one, fans assume you take the local kid, but some coaches will take the kid who isn’t local because there are potential headaches with a local kid.

I have read articles on it many years ago, but can’t find any now. It is hard to find specific cases because you are never going to have someone come out and say “we had player A and B rated the same but we took B because A’s high school buddies might tempt him to go out drinking and we don’t want that distraction” and piss off local fans. It also may be less of an issue in the era of social media than it was 10 or more years ago.

There is a famous story where everyone in Boston wanted Red Auerbach to draft Bob Cousy because he was local, but Red Auerbach wouldn’t do it. (The Celtics ended up with Bob Cousy anyway.)

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
Yegor Sokolov? Impressed at Traverse city. Played in CBJ training camp and even a preseason game. Then did what an overager should do. Tore up juniors. Could he be in play in the 4th or 5th round, or risk him going undrafted and try to sign as a FA. Also played well in WJ for Russia

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad