Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yegor Sokolov? Impressed at Traverse city. Played in CBJ training camp and even a preseason game. Then did what an overager should do. Tore up juniors. Could he be in play in the 4th or 5th round, or risk him going undrafted and try to sign as a FA. Also played well in WJ for Russia

I very much doubt Sokolov will go undrafted again, he'll probably be plucked by someone in the 4th or 5th. He's still a longshot prospect but so is everyone else in that range. I'd be pleased if the Jackets get him.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Collins is a Monster. I believe he is injured. We have a lot of depth at defense, so he is kind of buried.

Trying to get a read on him but can't find any information other than he didn't play after a game against Laval in November.

I've assumed this is due to injury but can't find any news about this anywhere (career ending, etc).

Restricted free agent at the end of his ELC 3-year contract and has yet to appear in an NHL game.

Does he fit into the Jackets' future plans and what is his long-term projection like?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trying to get a read on him but can't find any information other than he didn't play after a game against Laval in November.

I've assumed this is due to injury but can't find any news about this anywhere (career ending, etc).

Restricted free agent at the end of his ELC 3-year contract and has yet to appear in an NHL game.

Does he fit into the Jackets' future plans and what is his long-term projection like?

Doubtful, he might get another contract as an AHL guy. But he has no NHL future, and if I recall correctly I predicted this nearly immediately after he was drafted.

No idea what Jarmo and co. were thinking with this pick. It was a reach in 2014, and it didn't work out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Doubtful, he might get another contract as an AHL guy. But he has no NHL future, and if I recall correctly I predicted this nearly immediately after he was drafted.

No idea what Jarmo and co. were thinking with this pick. It was a reach in 2014, and it didn't work out.

That's true. You have predicted 30 of the last 10 Jackets draft busts. :laugh:

Reactions: rotsbu and Monk

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I believe since we picked them as European prospects we hold their rights for as long as we want. Just like we technically still have the rights to Markus Soberg and Sergei Mozyakin.

In Soberg's case they would have had until 2017 to sign him, since he was drafted out of Europe in 2013.

Interesting because I was just looking at his numbers back in Norway — point per game scorer and just turned 25 in April. However, if he were still considered an NHL prospect at this point I'd imagine he'd be playing in either Sweden or the KHL if not the AHL.

Anyone with more on him?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In Soberg's case they would have had until 2017 to sign him, since he was drafted out of Europe in 2013.

Interesting because I was just looking at his numbers back in Norway — point per game scorer and just turned 25 in April. However, if he were still considered an NHL prospect at this point I'd imagine he'd be playing in either Sweden or the KHL if not the AHL.

Anyone with more on him?
Hes has no NHL upside. I remember I was pretty intriqued with that pick and quite honestly thought he would tear the OHL up when he came over. Ended up being pretty disappointing

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Anyone with more on him?
Went to look up Soberg because I too thought he would play really well in juniors when he came over. Was disappointed when that wasn't the case. Anyways, I noticed that another former CBJ draft pick is on his team in Norway- Greg Mauldin. Now ain't that a blast from the past.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
RD Doyle Somerby

Looking over former Islanders draft picks and had forgotten all about him. A friend who went to BC used to rave about him when he was in college but I didn't realize he was still playing.

Was signed to a one-year deal last summer but in looking at his numbers in Cleveland — and the fact that Jackets were down three defensemen and he still never got a sniff with the NHL club it's hard to imagine he is still viewed as part of the future plans (particularly) with the players currently ahead of him.

Is there more to the story?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
RD Doyle Somerby

Looking over former Islanders draft picks and had forgotten all about him. A friend who went to BC used to rave about him when he was in college but I didn't realize he was still playing.

Was signed to a one-year deal last summer but in looking at his numbers in Cleveland — and the fact that Jackets were down three defensemen and he still never got a sniff with the NHL club it's hard to imagine he is still viewed as part of the future plans (particularly) with the players currently ahead of him.

Is there more to the story?

You'd have to hear from Monsters fans who know his game, but I don't think there were ever high expectations for Somerby making the NHL. He might not get offered another two-way deal if the club is short on contract spots.

Tony how about you ask about one of the prospects that are actual prospects. It's a more positive topic!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What’re your guys thoughts on Texier? Would u lean more toward a middle 6 35-45 point kinda guy or more toward a top 6 55+ point kind of career long term? I haven’t watched him a ton but I know he can fly. Does he possess patience and creativity with the puck?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What’re your guys thoughts on Texier? Would u lean more toward a middle 6 35-45 point kinda guy or more toward a top 6 55+ point kind of career long term? I haven’t watched him a ton but I know he can fly. Does he possess patience and creativity with the puck?

I lean towards 55+. Texier has everything. I'd say he relies a little bit more on quickness, agility, power. He can make a power move or use his excellent vision to make a quick pass. I'm not sure on patience or creativity - he finds guys very well but at this point isn't the type to hold the puck for long. One minor thing I'm sure he'll work on is softening his passes a bit. He is known to fire some lasers that come in a little too hot. You have to be encouraged by how well he played given that he was fighting through back pain for a while before coming out of the lineup.

Reactions: thebus88

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I lean towards 55+. Texier has everything. I'd say he relies a little bit more on quickness, agility, power. He can make a power move or use his excellent vision to make a quick pass. I'm not sure on patience or creativity - he finds guys very well but at this point isn't the type to hold the puck for long. One minor thing I'm sure he'll work on is softening his passes a bit. He is known to fire some lasers that come in a little too hot. You have to be encouraged by how well he played given that he was fighting through back pain for a while before coming out of the lineup.
Thanks for the insight

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone with more on him?

If I recall correctly, Søberg had a string of injuries and just never was able to get back the speed to be an NHL prospect. Some players like him prefer being a top player in Norway or Denmark rather than playing in the second tier league in Sweden or a 3rd/4th line role.

But his coach is Todd Bjorkstrand, Oliver's dad.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Tony how about you ask about one of the prospects that are actual prospects. It's a more positive topic!

For the most part there is plenty of published information on the better prospects. As I mentioned in the original post, a friend used to rave about Somerby from his college days but I didn’t realize he was still playing.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Second line 40 point guy IMO. 20-20 guy with potential to do more if he gets hot in some years.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Sell... He was on a 30 pt pace as a rookie this year and is expected to be a top 6 player.

Should be a 20-40 guy at least.

I’m not quite sold on his playmaking at the NHL level quite yet. It’s such a small sample size yet so we’ll see. Either way I think he’ll be a pretty good player if he can stay healthy, which is also a concern.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

My annual look at Columbus' OHL crop. Some good videos of Foudy in that twitter thread. Happy to answer any further questions.

I just wanna know if Foudy's brother will be available when we pick with the 31st overall pick in the draft after winning the SC :thumbu: Wait...sorry...wrong thread...that belongs in the draft thread...or layoff thread.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I just wanna know if Foudy's brother will be available when we pick with the 31st overall pick in the draft after winning the SC :thumbu: Wait...sorry...wrong thread...that belongs in the draft thread...or layoff thread.

I think he'll still be available, yes. I see him more as a second round prospect. With his speed, there's obviously a chance that an NHL team reaches on him, but he and Liam are very different players (despite possessing the same kind of explosiveness as skaters).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Live Sport und News

Mueller, Rossi and Berni practicing with ZSC Lions and they're interested in keeping at least Berni until NHL camps start. They're talking to the Bluejackets about insurance and their plans with Berni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad