TSN McKenzie's Top 15 Rankings, NHL Draft Lottery Edition

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Iginla is 7 months younger and right close to the weight he should be for his height.

Sennecke is a bean pole with a late growth spurt, Going to be awhile for him to hit his target weight, until then he will be easily pushed off the puck.

I guess for the Habs it's whether or not they feel like waiting a extra year or two for perhaps the better player or go for the NHL ready or one year of seasoning players.

New front office but the organization and the fanbase has never been very good about letting their 1st rounders marinate.
I just think they should shoot for upside and more dynamic skills. I’m a Iginla fan but like you said, he’s closer to what he’ll be, in his type of play and physical growth even if he’s younger.

I don’t see quite the same upside with the two, it shouldn’t matter if it take 2 years for Sennecke to be ready. That said i hope one of Demidov or Lindstrom are available at 5 but if they both are not i just think Sennecke should get as long of a look as Iginla.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I just think they should shoot for upside and more dynamic skills. I’m a Iginla fan but like you said, he’s closer to what he’ll be, in his type of play and physical growth even if he’s younger. I don’t see quite the same upside with the two, it shouldn’t matter if it take 2 years for Sennecke to be ready.
Iginla is definitely one of the youngest of the draft, That's a lot of time and development he hasn't had yet compare to a lot of other dreaftee's. He definitely has room to grow too.

Reactions: SlafySZN

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
In my opinion, Hughes is one of the better finishers in the league. But if the JFresh card says he’s bad at it, then we both must be absolutely crazy, right?
If you actually looked at the chart you'd see it says he was a shit finisher as a teenager. Then finished at a very high rate in 21-22 and 22-23, which checks out completely
Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 1.05.34 AM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You might argue a few other players slightly over him, but it wouldn't be some reach. I think it'd be like when NJ took Luke Hughes. Would they 100% have taken him if Jack wasn't on the team? I don't know, as you could definitely argue Brandt Clarke was just as good, maybe slightly better.

Tij is in the 9ish range. So he could go in that range regardless of Calgary picking there. It might make them lean towards him more than other teams because of the connection, but again, not some forced reach.

Agreed. Silayev will go super high because of his size. But the rest you listed, I like more. Siliayev isn't bad, but I think he's more Zadorov/Myers than the next Hedman.
Yes, NJD would have 100% picked Luke. The best available prospect at a position of need

You're kind of proving a point I have about this center discussion - that folks have a needless fixation on putting the best player at center.

You're saying that Geno is a great player and therefore he should be at center. Being at center should be just about center specific attributes - notably defending down low, starting breakouts low, winning faceoffs. There's nothing wrong with putting the best player at wing, it's not a punishment or a downgrade.

As for Jack Hughes, he's effectively spent much of his career with Erik Haula and others doing much of the center duties for him, even though Hughes is always labeled the center. Perhaps Hughes has it figured out now though, I don't know. People are very obsessed with who is at center, but seemingly mostly obsessed with who is labeled center, and less interested in who is actually doing center things.

Coming back to Catton - someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Catton say he sees himself on the wing? He has a hard time down low defending vs players his own size so putting him in that position in the NHL seems foolish. If he's a center it will likely be a J Hughes type situation where someone else is doing the defending for him, at least for several years. And there's nothing wrong with that, you can have the best offensive player on the wing, there's little lost in doing that. And perhaps something gained, it would save him a lot of energy, Catton wouldn't look as tired.
If by "center duties" you mean taking faceoffs, sure.

Jack Hughes has 100% been playing the actual center role at every single other time

Reactions: rsteen

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Do Takeaway's not count as a defensive stat? Jack Hughes was averaging a little bit above one a game. Would have been tied for 3rd place in the league wiith most takeaways if he played 82 games.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i think top 5 will be

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Demidov
Anaheim - Levshunov
Columbus - Silayev
Montreal - Lindstrom

Dickinson/Parekh/Buium could easily be top 5 picks too tho and that could change the entirety of the order

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah I’m thinking Chicago goes with a forward. The defensive depth is pretty good at this point. The forward depth, not so much.

Reactions: DemiGod

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
i think top 5 will be

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Demidov
Anaheim - Levshunov
Columbus - Silayev
Montreal - Lindstrom

Dickinson/Parekh/Buium could easily be top 5 picks too tho and that could change the entirety of the order
I agree with your top 3. I think Chicago wants to replicate Kane , Toews with Bedard and Demidov. Anaheim then would take Levshunov. Columbus, i got no idea. They might pick Silayev but if they take Lindstrom, who would you pick at 5 for Montreal?

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
By that logic, why would anyone want to trade up?
Fair point but the key word is 'consider' -- if there's a taker who apparently has a specific #2 or #3 in mind. Of course, Chicago and Anaheim may also have clear #2 or #3 ranked players but if not they could feel out teams holding the 9 to 11 picks.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What’s wrong with his game? He looks like a star with no real weakness other than slightly mediocre size.

Catton is like a Jarvis type IMO. Not a star but will be a 60+ pts forward.

Iggy at 10 and Yakemchuk at 12 make Calgary's pick reeealllll interesting.

I think there is a solid chance the Habs consider Iggy at 5. Maybe we consider trading down to 8-10 range and taking one of Iggy, Eiserman, Catton.

By that logic, why would anyone want to trade up?

Because each teams draft board is different. Some will have a range of guys rated the same and then other teams will have a undisputed BPA they really want.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do Takeaway's not count as a defensive stat? Jack Hughes was averaging a little bit above one a game. Would have been tied for 3rd place in the league wiith most takeaways if he played 82 games.

Giveaways/60 and Takeaways/60 are two stats I look at all the time. Shows how good the guy is in the trenches where other fans look at their points at the end of the game. I also like the hits/50 and blocks/60. 4 stats I value.

J Hughes was 7th with 2.95/60 min's. (min 20 games played for all centers). 13th when looking at all skaters.

Reactions: Xirik

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i think top 5 will be

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Demidov
Anaheim - Levshunov
Columbus - Silayev
Montreal - Lindstrom

I agree with most of it but not so sure the Habs take Lindstrom. I can see him slipping due to the injuries and not available to evaluate at the U18's.

NHL combine and interviews will be a huge factor with Lindstrom IMO. Lindstrom could be a real force up the middle but I see a wide range with his high and low potential.

How many guys end up NHL stars but were drafted in the 3rd round of the WHL draft? The thing I always wonder with the big strong boys in the CHL is how much they look good because of the ability to take advantage of smaller players. Lots of 16/17 year olds and also lots of 18/19 year olds who are on the small side.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with your top 3. I think Chicago wants to replicate Kane , Toews with Bedard and Demidov. Anaheim then would take Levshunov. Columbus, i got no idea. They might pick Silayev but if they take Lindstrom, who would you pick at 5 for Montreal?

I think the Habs are considering one of..

Iggy
Catton
Lindstrom
Eiserman

I started to take notice with Iggy about 3 months ago and he's trending very well. Remember, his father was drafted 11th I believe and then broke out big time after his draft year. Iggy is one of the younger guys in the draft and trending hot. Good skating, size, compete level. I think that would be my target. The other guy I like a lot is Eiserman but everyone seems to be flat on him like they were with B Tkachuk. Someone might be getting a 30+ goal NHL top 6F or more. Not sure the red flags are as big as some think they are. This kid likes to shoot and score and has a very good goal scoring resume. Basically Caufield but with size. He's also one of the younger ones in this draft.

I don't hate Catton but I think he is another Javis type. Smaller type forward but will put up 60+ pts. No real glaring flaws to his game but on the light side. Probably tops out at 6'-0" and 185 lbs.

Wish we got to see Lindstrom at the U18's.

Reactions: jj cale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s listed at 5’11 the most recent listings, and players this age don’t tend to have their height go down as opposed to up.

6’1 is about NHL average rounded up. But typically when a forward is 6’0 people stop talking about it as a real weakness.

His weight is well below average, but he also has plenty of time to improve there. Not like he’s playing in the NHL next year anyway. Plenty of players over the years have put on 20-30 pounds. I think that’s probably the easiest thing to improve on compared to getting better at hockey.

You talking about Catton? Probably tops out around 6'-0" and 185 lbs. Not small or big.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I feel pretty confident the Hawks 2nd oa pick is a toss up between Levshunov and Demidov. The athletic guys are in the same circles with the Hawks and mentioned that Demidov and Levshunov are the two we should zero in on. I personally hope its Demidov, but I'd be fine if it's the Levy

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I feel pretty confident the Hawks 2nd oa pick is a toss up between Levshunov and Demidov. The athletic guys are in the same circles with the Hawks and mentioned that Demidov and Levshunov are the two we should zero in on. I personally hope its Demidov, but I'd be fine if it's the Levy
I think Silayev would be a better fit, but Demidov is such a talent, hard to pass.

Levshunov's hockey sense is suspect IMO... Toolbox problem? He always pinches at the worst times. Hopefully could be coached out of him...

I think Silayev skating and physical attributes are such a rare package that you have to go for it. Offense is not the greatest however... But if you get a Hedman-lite kind of D, you are golden.

Tough choice.

Reactions: coooldude

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yet.

Hughes has played on the wing at times and Bedard may move to wing if the Hawks get another top-tier center prospect. I personally wouldn’t really be confident with either as a center. They’re both atrocious defensively in the NHL.

Hughes lines up at center at times but nothing in his game - particularly in the defensive zone - suggests he can play the position.

He is at his best roaming - and attacking from the outside areas.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Probably Iginla. Or Sennecke, not a confirmed rumour but they apparently like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00