Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I dont understand why Trey Fix-Wolansky is not getting some NHL time. Hes avg point per game last 24 games. In my opinion Trey Fix-Wolansky and foudy both have the best chance to crack our roster next year. We saw what foudy brings with a small sample size. I was impressed but its time to let Trey Fix-Wolansky show his stuff. Thurkauf and Lilja both dont look like nhl players to me. Let tfw get a shot
Do we really want to go back to the early days of this franchise when we rushed every prospect to Columbus? There is nothing wrong with developing a player slowly. TFW is most likely not ready for the NHL, let him finish this injury shortened season in Cleveland and bring him to camp in September. If he "wows" the club then great but my guess is he still starts next season in the AHL...and that's OK.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Carson Meyer goal vs Wisconsin
He now has 7 Gs and 14 Pts in his last 15 games. I don't know how high his ceiling is (I have relatively low expectations) but it would be silly not to at least bring the kid to Cleveland for three years and roll the dice.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
On a sadder note, it appears Thome's less than spectacular two game outing last weekend against a mediocre St Cloud team has cost him the starter spot in North Dakota. Scheel (Cleveland kid) stopped 41 of 43 shots this weekend against one of the better scoring teams in NCAA so my assumption is that North Dakota is going to ride him again into the post season unless the wheels completely fall off.

This almost feels like an NCAA QB situation where you have two (maybe three) guys who could be the starter but only one is going to play. Thome has another year of eligibility but Scheel is just a sophomore. So does Thome fight for a job he's the underdog to win or does he look for other options including seeing if the CBJ will bring him to Cleveland next year (that'd be a crowded room between Kivs, V2, Tarasov and Thome).

Does hockey get the transfer protocol the way football does? Let's not kid ourselves, Thome is almost already 23, he doesn't have the benefit of time to sit a year just to get his fourth year of eligibility. My thinking is it would be best for him to stay put, get his degree, let the Cleveland goalie room shake out next season and see where things are in 2021.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If VV and Bob 2.0 are in cleveland next year no one else os playing unless injury or callups so hopefully he figures it out.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Foudy with a goal and two more assists today. I wanna say he has been on a roll since his two games with the CBJ: 6 Gs and 18 Pts in just 8 Games...which he has. But he was rolling before the call up too.

He now has 11 Gs and 28 Pts in his last 14 Games. Wowza!

Angle also had a goal and two more assists today. He'd been cold for about five games so this was very needed!

OT: Liam's younger brother, Jean-Luc, had two Gs and 2 As today (he plays on Angle's team so I see his name a lot). Plays C and will be available in this year's draft. Probably a late 1st - mid 2nd rounder. Could the Foudy boys be reunited? Just a name to watch

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Voronkov is at least living up to his pick for sure, Marchenko is much more reassuring than last year but I would still expect at least that all year from a 2nd pick. hope next year he has a fixed roster spot and play pretty good.

Also new prospect Jake Christiansen at eliteprospects.com

still wish Sokolov was singed too. someone gonna throw a pick at him this draft I bet

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Voronkov is at least living up to his pick for sure, Marchenko is much more reassuring than last year but I would still expect at least that all year from a 2nd pick. hope next year he has a fixed roster spot and play pretty good.

Also new prospect Jake Christiansen at eliteprospects.com

still wish Sokolov was singed too. someone gonna throw a pick at him this draft I bet
So you expectation is that a 19 year old mid-2nd round pick is supposed to be an impact player in the second best league in the world in his rookie season? That's some lofty expectations!

Two players from that second round have played a whopping 28 games in the NHL scoring 1 G and 1 A combined. I don't think any CBJ fan should be disappointed in his development to this point...and I looked at a bunch of other kids then around him...none seem any further along in their development.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
So you expectation is that a 19 year old mid-2nd round pick is supposed to be an impact player in the second best league in the world in his rookie season? That's some lofty expectations!

Two players from that second round have played a whopping 28 games in the NHL scoring 1 G and 1 A combined. I don't think any CBJ fan should be disappointed in his development to this point...and I looked at a bunch of other kids then around him...none seem any further along in their development.
I mean to keep the hype not just an average expectation. I was kinda disappointed from last year and when he didnt make his khl team. but he came up and started to be more steady in that role. thats where I wanted him to be at the start of the season.
I meant that he is just right now reaching my expectation. thats just how I expected him to play all year.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Thome stopped all 17 shots he faced in a 5-0 win this weekend.
  • First half of the season Thome got zero starts because Scheel was nearly unbeatable
  • Thome finally got to play because Scheel started to struggle and then continued to get every start during a dominant stretch until
  • Three weekends ago when Thome struggled so
  • Two weekends ago Scheel got both starts and he killed it so
  • This past weekend Scheel got the start on Friday and stopped just 21 of 25 shots so Thome got the Saturday start.
I don't know if the coach was planning to split the starts this past weekend all along or if he is simply playing the hot hand. Right now it appears like he is simply going with the hot hand...one bad game and you are out. This is not the way to run a hockey team. In this case he has two really good goalies and he might be getting inside their heads...afraid to make a mistake...one bad game and you are out.

I know it might seem silly focusing on a guy who might be #5/#6 on the depth chart at the moment but always good to have quality prospects in the pipeline for asset management. Small sample size but pretty dominant 7-1-2 with a 1.37 GAA and .935 Save Percentage (playing for one of the best teams in the country).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thome stopped all 17 shots he faced in a 5-0 win this weekend.
  • First half of the season Thome got zero starts because Scheel was nearly unbeatable
  • Thome finally got to play because Scheel started to struggle and then continued to get every start during a dominant stretch until
  • Three weekends ago when Thome struggled so
  • Two weekends ago Scheel got both starts and he killed it so
  • This past weekend Scheel got the start on Friday and stopped just 21 of 25 shots so Thome got the Saturday start.
I don't know if the coach was planning to split the starts this past weekend all along or if he is simply playing the hot hand. Right now it appears like he is simply going with the hot hand...one bad game and you are out. This is not the way to run a hockey team. In this case he has two really good goalies and he might be getting inside their heads...afraid to make a mistake...one bad game and you are out.

I know it might seem silly focusing on a guy who might be #5/#6 on the depth chart at the moment but always good to have quality prospects in the pipeline for asset management. Small sample size but pretty dominant 7-1-2 with a 1.37 GAA and .935 Save Percentage (playing for one of the best teams in the country).

Maybe he's played himself into a contract.

It appears VV will need more time in Cleveland, and until told otherwise Korpi-Elvis will return again next season. So I guess it comes down to whether the team believes in Thome or Kiv more. Also, it would require another season in Finland for Tarasov. Unless of course we want to start Thome off in the ECHL which is always possible.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
KHL playoffs not suspended and Ak Bars and SKA still in it. At least we have something to follow.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
not a lot of good news lately but
Berni is rumored to come sign soon

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Marchenko is overperforming his draft position by a large amount. He’s been better than the other Russians drafted ahead of him who are still playing in Russia.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Someone who knows how to post tweets should make a tim berni prospect signing thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Regarding people being concerned about Marchenko not wanting to be a CBJ/coming over to NA.

“We probably wouldn’t have drafted him if we didn’t think he wanted to come,” Kekalainen said. “We didn’t know at that time if he wanted to come right away or take his time, but we knew he wanted to come to North America eventually.”

The Blue Jackets got an answer earlier this season. Not the ideal answer, perhaps, but at least some clarity.

Marchenko signed a two-year contract extension with the KHL, hoping he’d mature enough in Russia to make a seamless jump to the NHL, avoiding the minor leagues.

“He’s going to play two more years in the KHL,” agent Mark Gandler said, “and then he’s coming to Columbus.

“You will enjoy him in Columbus, big time.”

Scouting report from Jarmo, a scout, and insight by Gavrikov:

“He was a string bean when we drafted him,” Kekalainen said. “He still needs to fill out, but he’s got that frame. He’s tall. He’s got the big mitts. He’s going to be a pretty big man once he fills out. He’s a pure finesse player, with size and reach.”

“He’s the type of player that literally every NHL team can use,” Gandler said. “He has size, speed, hands, great IQ. He can shoot, defend, block shots, play defense … he’s a great all-around player.

“He’ll develop nicely in Russia the next two years. There are two other NHL draft picks (Vasili Podkolzin of Vancouver and Ivan Morozov of Vegas) who were on his line this season, and they should be playing higher next season.”

Blue Jackets defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov was a teammate of Marchenko’s on SKA St. Petersburg before he came to Columbus last spring.

Gavrikov said he’ll see Marchenko frequently this summer, provided the global coronavirus pandemic allows for much interaction this summer.

“Kirill made a good decision, I think, to take two more years,” Gavrikov said. “He’s smart. He’s so fast. He’s a really good player, lots of skill. But he needs more experience, and this is better for him (to stay in Russia). For sure it will help him.

“But I’m sure we’ll talk about Columbus. I know how to answer his questions now. For sure I will help him.”

Finally, insight on Voronkov:

The most frequent NHL comparison from scouts is none other than Blue Jackets center Boone Jenner, whom Voronkov may one day supplant as a third-line center in Columbus.

“He’s an overwhelming presence against his peers right now,” one NHL scout said. “The next step, obviously, is to do it against grown men.”

Voronkov plays like an old-school third- or fourth-line NHL player, but he could play as high a second-line role on the right team.

“If you look ahead four or five years,” one scout told The Athletic. “You can see (Pierre-Luc) Dubois, Texier, and Voronkov down the middle, in some order, in Columbus. Pretty good.”

“Voronkov is a power forward, plays physical and aggressive, finishes every check,” Kekalainen said. “You can’t miss him.”

Blue Jackets have big plans for young Russians Kirill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad