Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If you’re looking at future value and potential value, I’d have to say Primeau is more valuable than Knight is.

Primeau has proven so much already that there are far less variables in his potential than Knight who hasn’t accomplished what Primeau has.

So if nights a 15-20 pick, I’d say Primeau gets better than that though there’s little chance we trade him anyways. What GM would draft Knight over Primeau at this point?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I like Primeau a lot as a prospect but Price has another 7 years on his deal...

Ideally a goalie prospect would get drafted in 2022 to be ready when Price contract is done.

How many goalies are ready before age 24-25 in the NHL!!?? Beside top prospects lilke Price or Hart most goalies will need to spend 4-5 years in the minors before beig ready for the big stage so if Primeau follows a normal curve of development he wont be ready untill the final 2 years of Price contract, so the timing would be pretty much perfect.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Criterias for the Mike Richter Award:
Northeastern Huskies said:
Criterias for the Mike Richter Award:
• Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
• Candidates should be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
• Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
• Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time students at an NCAA college or university; and complete 50 percent or more of the season
• Consideration should be given to the candidate's activities in the community

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I got in and I was able to see the games (Laval Rocket). So it's fun of being there and to finally see what's this level is liking. This experience and the facilities (Place Bell) it's been unbelievable here...”

“I've to go back and finish. I wanna end up in a good note. I got some exams to do still.. Just tryna take everything I can here.”

“Not in a negative way. I mean I don't say it. I wanna prove everyone wrong. I'm just tryna prove Montreal right. They had faith in me, take me as one of their pick (2017 Draft).”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
-Favorite movies: “13 Hours. The Longest Ride. The American Sniper. Braveheart. The Wolf of Wall Street.”

-Favorite countries: “Been to Italy, Hungary, France, Bahamas, Czetch Republic, Switzerland, Slovakia, Dominican Republic. My favorites were Switzerland, Hungary and Bahamas.”

-Gear preferences: “Bauer Goalie all the way.”

-Favorite TV shows: “Game of Thrones. Ozark. Prison Break. Narcos. Sons of Anarchy. Ballers.”

-Favorite songs: “Waves (Dean Lewis). Tequilla (Dan/Shay). Drunk me (Mitchell Tenpenny). Home II (Dotan). Any songs from the 80's.”

-Cooking hoobies: “I'm interested in Nutrition... Feel like the easiest way to be healthy is to make your own food. When I make food I know what is going into it. Plus it tastes better if I make it (self-proclaimed).

-Favorite NHL team: “My dad played for the Philadelpha Flyers. Grew up rooting for them. Penguins vs Flyers were the best.”

- The 2019's Stanley Cup Team Winner: “Lived in Boston for two years so that would be cool but I've many Montreal's followers... With that in mind I'll go for Dallas or New York (Islanders).”

-Current goalies inspiration: “Pekka Rinne. Carey Price. Ryan Miller. A few current goalies would be Andrei Vasilevskiy and John Gibson.”

-The Northeastern's choice: “I wanted to go to school in Boston for as long as I can remember... I learned about college hockey and started talking to Northeastern. I went on a visit and knew I didn't want to go anywhere else.”

-Favorite NU Dog House tradition: “The chicken race during timeouts.”

-Favorite hockey East Team to play against: “Boston University or Boston College.”

-Hockey path (2013-2019): “Team Comcast (AYHL). Philadelhphia Revolution (EHL). Lincoln Stars (USHL). Northeastern University (NCAA - Hockey East).”

-Pregame meal: “Pasta. Chicken or steak. Carrots. Broccoli.”

-Pregame ritual: “Nap. I don't like to talk when I get to the rink. Tape my stick. Stretch. Juggle. Get dressed right to the left. Had to fist bump before going on ice.”

-Best hockey moment ever: “So many great ones. Wearing the USA jersey for the first time. Winning two beanpots. Winning hockey east.”

-Bell Center: “Love the Bell Center. Went for the World Juniors in 2015. The Poehling's four goals clinic was my first Habs game...”

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Ideally a goalie prospect would get drafted in 2022 to be ready when Price contract is done.
When Theodore was in his prime I was shocked they drafted Price in 05...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would have preferred he stay in college at least one extra year to push back his age of waiver eligibility...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Theodore wasn't under contrat for 7 years and he wasn't know as the best goalie in the league too. (2 good season under his belt)
Theodore had a pretty big contract for the time, not sure for how long but I want to say 6 mil per season and he was a top 10 goalie. The point is in 2005 he was only 29 and clearly the #1 goalie for a few years and it was surprising that they drafted a goalie in the first round with him just hitting his prime.
When Primeau was drafted had Price already signed that extension? I can’t remember

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Theodore had a pretty big contract for the time, not sure for how long but I want to say 6 mil per season and he was a top 10 goalie. The point is in 2005 he was only 29 and clearly the #1 goalie for a few years and it was surprising that they drafted a goalie in the first round with him just hitting his prime.
When Primeau was drafted had Price already signed that extension? I can’t remember

Theodore signed a 3 years 16M extension in 2005. (the year we drafted Price)

Price signed an 8 years contract one year after Primeau was drafted. (signed in 2017 - contract started in 2018)

6 years difference between those 2 situations. (9 vs 3)

Reactions: 26Mats and cphabs

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The Jeff Blashill's Thoughts (19/04/2019):
Jeff Blashill said:
“The two goalies (Schneider/Demko) have more experience than him in professional hockey on their background, even in the World Championship. At this moment, we can say he's the third goalie on paper... But you know, you go there, you train so we'll see what will happen.”

“To let him living out the experience on being near the best Americans players, the best players of the word. Like that it gonna benefit the future of Team USA. Even if he's the third goalie, he can help us in the near future. It's all about experience. He had a lot of talent and he worked hard to get that spot.”

“In the past, in many times we choose young goalies which we're aware that their future is promising. I never worked with him (Primeau) so I don't know his personally. But I'm looking forward to work with him soon. Because he've some great abilities in his position.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Sticking with me for the rest of my life from this year was how resilient we were and how everyone really counted us out after losing some top players last year. The success we had to prove those people wrong... You know back to back Beanpot champs and Hockey East Championship. Then NCAA tournament bid.Even be nominated among that group was something special. So just being to have those experiences...”

“It’s all of the best players coming together and competing for their country... So a lot is on the line. The play is elevated just that much more. It’s just exciting to be able to play at that level. I’m excited for the next couple weeks.”

“Being able to learn from Thatcher (Demko) and Cory (Schneider) is something special. I want to use that as motivation going into the summer. Getting ready for next year... They’re at the level I want to get to. So I just want to figure out how they prepare. Take all of that in and do the little things that make them get to that level.”

“I’m fortunate because not everyone has an opportunity to be around hockey in that sense. I’ve grown up knowing great hockey players. So it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary... But it was great to meet Richter and it's a really huge and humbling honor.”

“It’s crazy and something special... I’m just excited to be able to represent the U.S. again. It’s not every day that you get to be around this kind of level. So I’m just going to try to soak it in as much as I can. Every time you represent the USA it’s an honor... It never gets old.”

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Theodore signed a 3 years 16M extension in 2005. (the year we drafted Price)

Price signed an 8 years contract one year after Primeau was drafted. (signed in 2017 - contract started in 2018)

6 years difference between those 2 situations. (9 vs 3)

On the one hand, it would have been nice to have Primeau stay another year in college, so he becomes waiver eligible one year later. On the other hand, they either thought he couldn't learn much more in college or thought they might lose him if they didn't get him right away.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If we are negotiating a trade and they want Primeau bad and will give us grade A prospect value for him, I would move him. However, when Price is 36/37, Primeau will be 24/25 so the time line fits a bit. Primeau can be the back-up for Price in the last 2 or 3 years. But if Primeau rises and performs to expectations earlier than later, that makes it a interesting situation for us.

It would be interesting to see what happens in the next two years between Price and Primeau before the expansion draft. Lets say Price continues to have up and down years and Primeau is lights out and plays 20 NHL games in 20/21. Not saying I like or dislike it but imagine if Price is exposed in the expansion draft? Seattle would seriously consider taking him. Doubt this happens but lets see if Price gets past his up and down injury seasons after a good season he has been on for 4 seasons now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On the one hand, it would have been nice to have Primeau stay another year in college, so he becomes waiver eligible one year later. On the other hand, they either thought he couldn't learn much more in college or thought they might lose him if they didn't get him right away.

Play GM and Agent game. Primeau tells his agent he wants to turn pro and they talk financial strategy moving forward. Their best move is to do exactly what they did and tell Bergevin they want to turn pro and sign before the season ends. What does a GM do? Tell them we will wait till after the season? Risky move to do with NCAA assets.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The John Vanbiesbrouck's Thoughts (05/05/2019):
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
“He gave his team a chance to win just about every night... At the end of the day, consistency is what the position is all about. When your teammates know they have a chance they can take some risks because they know they have a guy who’s going to be there for them in goal.”

“He’s earned this, and he’s really developed well through his time at Northeastern... He’s big, he’s quick, he’s reading plays better and he’s very well prepared...”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Having an excellent goalie in the AHL is also underrated. It has a dominoe effect on the org if he can get laval back to their winning ways, and build playoff experience for the young core they have there.

I think the D is going to be much better in Laval next season too.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
How many goalies are ready before age 24-25 in the NHL!!?? Beside top prospects lilke Price or Hart most goalies will need to spend 4-5 years in the minors before being ready for the big stage so if Primeau follows a normal curve of development he wont be ready untill the final 2 years of Price contract, so the timing would be pretty much perfect.
Like I habitually say, let the timing do the talking...

Having an excellent goalie in the AHL is also underrated. It has a dominoe effect on the org if he can get laval back to their winning ways, and build playoff experience for the young core they have there.
For a while, we've been asking for a #1 goalie. There's one in our pipeline. That's not gonna be easy transition on snapping his fingers. But it'll take the time it needed. To be well adapted there. To be the same goalie he was in the NCAA.

Primeau wants to be challenged on his challenges list. Thought and saw that it's the right time to be moving to the next step.

Play GM and Agent game. Primeau tells his agent he wants to turn pro and they talk financial strategy moving forward. Their best move is to do exactly what they did and tell Bergevin they want to turn pro and sign before the season ends. What does a GM do? Tell them we will wait till after the season? Risky move to do with NCAA assets.
This negotiation between the Primeau Clan and the CH Clan was totally a surprise for me... They did it pretty well. Like in both ends.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad