Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great trade chip going forward

It's hard to see where he fits going forward if Price stays healthy. You don't want a young goalie sitting for long stretches.

But the trend seems to be starting goalies playing less.

More probably he could have a future with us if Price has injury problems or starts to falter. He's definitely a good insurance policy, although may be a luxury that would be better to cash in on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Great trade chip going forward

goalies don't often return high value and we would have very little in the pipeline if he's traded. Price is 32 and has had several injuries, it would be crazy to trade Primeau after he just had one of the best 18 and 19 year old seasons for a goalie in NCAA history when the return likely wouldn't be that great. It's not like we need more picks, we got a ton of them, and in doing so would just open another hole to fill one.

It's hard to see where he fits going forward if Price stays healthy. You don't want a young goalie sitting for long stretches.

But the trend seems to be starting goalies playing less.

More probably he could have a future with us if Price has injury problems or starts to falter. He's definitely a good insurance policy, although may be a luxury that would be better to cash in on.

Price won't be here forever and at 32 he's already got a lot of miles with close to 700 NHL games reg/playoffs. Primeau gives us a top goalie prospect, we'll see how it goes in Laval. No harm in him spending the next 2 years there, then maybe he backs up Price for a year or two and then we can see how things are looking.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
goalies don't often return high value and we would have very little in the pipeline if he's traded. Price is 32 and has had several injuries, it would be crazy to trade Primeau after he just had one of the best 18 and 19 year old seasons for a goalie in NCAA history when the return likely wouldn't be that great. It's not like we need more picks, we got a ton of them, and in doing so would just open another hole to fill one.

Price won't be here forever and at 32 he's already got a lot of miles with close to 700 NHL games reg/playoffs. Primeau gives us a top goalie prospect, we'll see how it goes in Laval. No harm in him spending the next 2 years there, then maybe he backs up Price for a year or two and then we can see how things are looking.

Young goalies need to play regularly though. We got rid of Huet when Price wasn't yet as good. Giving Price all that playing time allowed him to get in his bubble and become really good.

And Price still has 7 years at 10.5 on his contract...

By the way, isn't it 3 pro years before Primeau has to clear waivers?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Things can change in a hurry. When Price was drafted everyone was wondering why since Theodore was in his prime.
Primeau is young and a few years of learning the trade is a sound strategy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Young goalies need to play regularly though. We got rid of Huet when Price wasn't yet as good. Giving Price all that playing time allowed him to get in his bubble and become really good.

And Price still has 7 years at 10.5 on his contract...

By the way, isn't it 3 pro years before Primeau has to clear waivers?

Well we'll see how it goes for him in the AHL first and go from there. I didn't say anything about waivers, for goalies it's 4 years or 80 NHL games, so they have plenty of time with him. But if he plays so well, which as a top goalie prospect is expected but we just have to wait and see, then they will likely want him to get some NHL games at some point. It's really hard to try and guess when he will be ready. All we know is Price is 32 and has had his share of injuries and for now Primeau is his replacement at some point.

If they think they can win down the road while Price is 35/36/37 then so be it but for now that's just way too far down the road for anyone to say one way or the other.

The other thing is Price may not want to stay here. Say we miss the playoffs again next season, who knows what Price's reaction will be. If you look to trade Price down the road, after July 21, he will be owed 33M over 5 years, so he will be much more attractive as long as he has been injury free and playing at the same level.

I'm not saying they need or should trade him in 2 years or 10 years, I don't know what they will do with him or what's the best plan. I just know Primeau smoked the NCAA and now we need to see how he handles the AHL and go from there so there's no way I'm trading him until we see how he does there and we have someone better or close to it in the system.

Jul 6, 2016
Price could soon become the "MA Fleury" of the new Seattle franchise. It all depends on the Habs performances in the next year.

Reactions: xNogaitx

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well we'll see how it goes for him in the AHL first and go from there. I didn't say anything about waivers, for goalies it's 4 years or 80 NHL games, so they have plenty of time with him. But if he plays so well, which as a top goalie prospect is expected but we just have to wait and see, then they will likely want him to get some NHL games at some point. It's really hard to try and guess when he will be ready. All we know is Price is 32 and has had his share of injuries and for now Primeau is his replacement at some point.

If they think they can win down the road while Price is 35/36/37 then so be it but for now that's just way too far down the road for anyone to say one way or the other.

The other thing is Price may not want to stay here. Say we miss the playoffs again next season, who knows what Price's reaction will be. If you look to trade Price down the road, after July 21, he will be owed 33M over 5 years, so he will be much more attractive as long as he has been injury free and playing at the same level.

I'm not saying they need or should trade him in 2 years or 10 years, I don't know what they will do with him or what's the best plan. I just know Primeau smoked the NCAA and now we need to see how he handles the AHL and go from there so there's no way I'm trading him until we see how he does there and we have someone better or close to it in the system.

That's good news about Primeau getting 4 years in the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We should wait and see if Primeau can be a good starter in the NHL before just think about trading Price ...

we can't think about trading Price or that is it's a waste of time since he has a NMC, he's not going anywhere until he wants to. We just have to wait and see as who knows what his reaction will be if we continue to miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Vachon23

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
highly unlikely ...
Yeah. We are lucky to have price. Yeah hes maybe a bit too much expensive, but imo. Carey price is in the same range in term of quality as brodeur/luongo/rinne/fleury. What have they in common? They are close to 40 years old and they are still good. Price is a « young » goalie if we compare. I just remember the time we had hackett/aebisher/theodore...it wasnt our great years. Price can save a game by himself and we seem to forget it

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah. We are lucky to have price. Yeah hes maybe a bit too much expensive, but imo. Carey price is in the same range in term of quality as brodeur/luongo/rinne/fleury. What have they in common? They are close to 40 years old and they are still good. Price is a « young » goalie if we compare. I just remember the time we had hackett/aebisher/theodore...it wasnt our great years. Price can save a game by himself and we seem to forget it

Yes I hope he's still good when this young core starts to emerge. His 10 million cap hit by that time should be about the norm for elite goalies. Just look at Bobrovski and Vasilevsky already.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Hins77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Primeau is the real deal. I think the Price to Seattle thing could very well happen.

Primeau doesn't have to be protected. In the Murray-Fleury case, only one could be protected.

If Primeau takes over for Price in 202o-2021 (as unlikely as that is) I expect us to trade price for a monster return as opposed to losing him for nothing.

Reactions: Acadien86

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Primeau doesn't have to be protected. In the Murray-Fleury case, only one could be protected.

If Primeau takes over for Price in 202o-2021 (as unlikely as that is) I expect us to trade price for a monster return as opposed to losing him for nothing.
I don’t think we just give Price up in the expansion draft, rather some deal gets worked out. A new franchise would love an established star, and goalies can be had cheaper than any other.

I think if we’re trading Price it would be to the west coast, either Canucks or Seattle.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think we just give Price up in the expansion draft, rather some deal gets worked out. A new franchise would love an established star, and goalies can be had cheaper than any other.

I think if we’re trading Price it would be to the west coast, either Canucks or Seattle.

Still, Primeau would have to be damn good, damn fast to get Bergevin to move the only reason he still has a job.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I missed it, it seems. I always expected him to stay a few years in the NCAA

I also thought he would also go back for a last year in the NCAA. Gives one more year to evaluate Lindgren. Now we either have send Primeau to the ECHL (which I don't see happening), jettison McNiven (or maybe he accepts a ECHL year, but I doubt it at this point), trade Lindgren (if not claimed on waivers) or run a three-headed monster in Laval.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I also thought he would also go back for a last year in the NCAA. Gives one more year to evaluate Lindgren. Now we either have send Primeau to the ECHL (which I don't see happening), jettison McNiven (or maybe he accepts a ECHL year, but I doubt it at this point), trade Lindgren (if not claimed on waivers) or run a three-headed monster in Laval.
Primeau in ECHL getting most of the games in hs rookie pro year.

Halak did it, so did many other goalies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Primeau in ECHL getting most of the games in hs rookie pro year.

Halak did it, so did many other goalies.

I don't see him turning down a year in the NCAA for the ECHL.

Halak also spent only half the year in the ECHL. In Primeau's case, he would have to spend the year there unless injuries or a goalie trade occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->