Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Like I habitually say, let the timing do the talking...

For a while, we've been asking for a #1 goalie. There's one in our pipeline. That's not gonna be easy transition on snapping his fingers. But it'll take the time it needed. To be well adapted there. To be the same goalie he was in the NCAA.

Primeau wants to be challenged on his challenges list. Thought and saw that it's the right time to be moving to the next step.

This negotiation between the Primeau Clan and the CH Clan was totally a surprise for me... They did it pretty well. Like in both ends.

Even if it's the right time, what happens in 3 years when he's waiver eligible? Do we bring him in to play 20 games as Price's backup? Young goalies need to play. It would be better for him to become waiver eligible when he's 25, as opposed to 23.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Even if it's the right time, what happens in 3 years when he's waiver eligible? Do we bring him in to play 20 games as Price's backup? Young goalies need to play. It would be better for him to become waiver eligible when he's 25, as opposed to 23.
Many things might result during his pathway. Three years may deliver us a perfect big picture of Primeau. He'll be in charge as a #1 goalie in Laval. Where he'll be confronted at too many stuffs.

We hope it's the Price's successor. Not on paper. But on a reality paper. Which is the ice rink. On a year basis.

Those are the negative assumptions:

1)Perceiving he has no future as a Hab. His career is going nowhere. He could move out of here.

2)It's a flop. Hopefully not. We don't have to break our heads. Like no more.

3)Another goalie stole his spot in our org

Those are the positive assumption:

1)Has succeded on his test as a Rocket. (games,progression path,etc)

2)The #2 goalie role as a Hab is given to him. It'll be a mission. A race against the clock. The more he convinces us. The more he extends his future with us.

3)Got the promise to be #1 goalie as a Hab when he signed that three years contract. So he'll take the Price's spot.

Last edited:

Locks

May 28, 2005
Goalies are waiver eligible after four years of pro so there is plenty of time to get him to the show at the right pace. And it would not be fair to the kid to keep him in NCAA after back to back outstanding seasons culminating in the Richter trophy and a bunch of other hardware. He is clearly ready for the next step in his career.

Reactions: Vachon23 and cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can’t wait for Laval next year! It’s going to be incredible. Especially with Bouchard in the mix.

Primeau is going to be lights out the way that D is shaping out. Bouchard will have lots of options on D. Remains to be seen how the forward group adds scoring.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Primeau is going to be lights out the way that D is shaping out. Bouchard will have lots of options on D. Remains to be seen how the forward group adds scoring.
So much to look forward to! Individual development and who knows? Maybe even a playoff run! If Bouchard’s credentials hold true? We are all in for a great time. Even the players LOL. I have to figure out where there is a season tick type of deal for Laval so I can watch the games on TV.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“When I got the call, there were no words. It's been a lifelong dream to play at the highest level. And this is something that's going to keep progressing. Anytime you get to represent your country, it's huge...”

“It's going to be great being with Schneider and Demko. Just seeing how they handle themselves on and off the ice and what makes them so successful.”

“The guys are older. But the stakes are the same. You're playing for your country... It's the same kind of deal... But the play will be different. The competition is the biggest difference. But I'm just going to take things as they come.”

“Not too many pro goalies are from New Jersey or in the area. I haven't really skated with any. This will be a first for me... I'm just going into it with an open mind and trying to take in anything I can while I'm there...”

“If that's for me to practice, then I'll practice. If I get in a game, I'm going to do my best there. I'm just going to go into it and try to get better every day... If my name gets called on, I'll play to the best of my ability.”

“I'm super excited for the summer ahead... This is kind of the kick-starter into that. I had a great two years at Northeastern. It was a lot of fun and we accomplished so much. But I'm excited for the next step and just getting ready for that next level.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I try to take frustrating out of my vocabulary... But it wasn’t ideal. It sucked... I’m not going to lie... I felt at the start I struggled, but in the second half I ramped it up. I had one slip and then Josef Korenar took over from there. I wanted to prove people wrong... I love challenging myself and I did that every day.”

“Towards the end of the 2016/2017 season, my dad leaned over to me and said: just prepare yourself that you might not get drafted today... We play different positions. So he doesn’t say things along the line of how I should play. But he tells me to always play hard. He’s been around the highest level. When I was younger, I was able to be around those guys. I tried to watch the goalies like Biron and the players he played with and saw how they carried themselves... It’s safe to say I was going to play hockey at some point... But he says all the time if you’re not having fun, just tell me and you don’t have to play anymore. At the end of the day, it’s supposed to be fun...”

“I didn't know this story (the bad words of Clay Adams to the scouts) until it came out. The draft was a special moment. I was there with all my family. I ended up being drafted... I prefer to talk about this aspect than those negative things. I really don't know why this coach didn't believe in me. It's a thing of the past. The CH believes in me, it's more important...”

“I've never looked at statistics as being the last goalkeeper drafted in 2017... I just needed a team to draft to me. The rank of your drafting doesn't matter. It's up to you to create your own path after... I was just trying to improve my season. I had a good year... I was happy but it's not over... I cannot say that I was completely surprised by my first season. I didn't think I received so much recognition... I was playing with confidence and I was also feeding on the confidence of my teammates. When players believe or believing in you, you can achieve or achieving beautiful things. I just had to focus on hockey, there were no distractions... I had fun playing hockey...”

“There's really no words. Getting drafted was one thing. But being picked by the Montreal Canadiens was a whole other thing... They've got some of the most passionate fans in the league. I've been able to go up to Montreal and experience a game or two. So I was really excited. They had to trade to get a seventh-round pick and knowing they had that much confidence in me and wanted me. That’s my motivation for wanting to be a Montreal Canadiens...”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since our scouts haven't drafted a later-round star in ages, wouldn't it make more sense to make their jobs as easy as possible? Trade up. Get the best pick we can get and increase our odds of adding an actual star player. I'm tired of drafting 'hidden gems' that amount to little.

Who feels Primeau has an outside chance at a later round star? Very curious to see Laval's D shapes out and how Primeau looks in 1 year's time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who feels Primeau has an outside chance at a later round star? Very curious to see Laval's D shapes out and how Primeau looks in 1 year's time.

Goalies are very hard to project and it's the position I struggle to evaluate the most since it's the only position I never played. That said there's a lot to like about his game/style and I have him as our 3rd best prospect as what he did was beyond impressive when you consider the numbers he put up in the NCAA at a young age and on a lesser program that didn't have the 1st round NHL draft picks on the blueline like say Boston or other top programs had.

Since Laval played such a strong defensively structured game despite having at times at least 3 rookies on the blueline, I'm not the least bit worried about their defense or Primeau.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Goalies are very hard to project and it's the position I struggle to evaluate the most since it's the only position I never played. That said there's a lot to like about his game/style and I have him as our 3rd best prospect as what he did was beyond impressive when you consider the numbers he put up in the NCAA at a young age and on a lesser program that didn't have the 1st round NHL draft picks on the blueline like say Boston or other top programs had.

Since Laval played such a strong defensively structured game despite having at times at least 3 rookies on the blueline, I'm not the least bit worried about their defense or Primeau.

Yes I agree but do you think the chance is there that he can be a top 10 NHL goalie when he is lets say 23? I am very curious to see how the Laval D shapes out next year and what Primeau does.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes I agree but do you think the chance is there that he can be a top 10 NHL goalie when he is lets say 23? I am very curious to see how the Laval D shapes out next year and what Primeau does.

At 23 no I don't think so but it's very hard to guess how someone will translate from the NCAA to the NHL. I do think he has top 10 NHL goalie upside and I do think he could reach it but we'll see how he adjusts to the AHL and go from there. Not to compare them but if you look at Price, his best season was his age 27, and 26 was right there as well. Not that he didn't have good seasons before that but that was after 5 years in the NHL before he became really dominate. Not that Primeau has to be that good or will be that good, as Price was clearly among the very best. My point is that hopefully Primeau does well in the AHL, which I fully expect to happen but until we see it we can only guess. From there we'll need to see when he moves up to the NHL and how it goes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At 23 no I don't think so but it's very hard to guess how someone will translate from the NCAA to the NHL. I do think he has top 10 NHL goalie upside and I do think he could reach it but we'll see how he adjusts to the AHL and go from there. Not to compare them but if you look at Price, his best season was his age 27, and 26 was right there as well. Not that he didn't have good seasons before that but that was after 5 years in the NHL before he became really dominate. Not that Primeau has to be that good or will be that good, as Price was clearly among the very best. My point is that hopefully Primeau does well in the AHL, which I fully expect to happen but until we see it we can only guess. From there we'll need to see when he moves up to the NHL and how it goes.

I understand, There are so many goalies that look good and end up disappointing. I am very curious to see what kind of year he has with Laval and I do think our D will be much better. I like what I see but I want to see one full AHL year playing on a more competitive roster

I picked 23 but it could be 25. Price clearly looked like a top end goalie early on though. Hart showed this same potential this past year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I understand, There are so many goalies that look good and end up disappointing. I am very curious to see what kind of year he has with Laval and I do think our D will be much better. I like what I see but I want to see one full AHL year playing on a more competitive roster

I picked 23 but it could be 25. Price clearly looked like a top end goalie early on though. Hart showed this same potential this past year

I certainly wouldn't bet against Primeau at this point as he has impressed the heck out of me, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a top 10 NHL goalie at some point.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
My scouting report on Primeau from this past year.

Cayden Primeau is a technically sound goalkeeper that possesses an elite ability to read the game. Specifically, his hockey IQ and vision are two of his better assets that he blends in with his athleticism. Primeau boasts great athletic qualities that attribute to his ability to quickly recover and move laterally with ease. Positionally he is always square to the shooter cutting down the angles and making himself look big in the crease even when in the butterfly position. Primeau has a good glove/blocker hand usually has his glove in an excellent position to limit shoulder/arm movement. His rebound control is timed and executed well and has the presence to swallow up loose pucks. His puck handling abilities are average but his decision making overall is excellent. Primeau is a hybrid goalie that is poised, calm and fluid in the crease.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

Reactions: Goldenhands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad