Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Primeau won't be any better than Lindgren, but what can anybody expect?

Goalie prospects don't get any chance to play and prove themselves, and that won't change until Price is gone.

Our goalie prospects just rot away,

You want goalie prospects to turn into starters, they need to be given more playing time,

You give them the backup role, you don't aquire guys like Montoya, niemi, allen, etc etc, you give the backup job to primeau, mcnevin etc etc, that is how you turn a prospect goalie into a starting goalie

I partially agree with this. We kept Lindgren 2-3 years too long. At the age of 24 he was outplayed by McNiven (21 years old) in the AHL - similar number of games. That should have been the last straw.
However, I don't think you give a rookie G the backup job until he's proven to be comfortable at the AHL level. So, to find temporary backups made sense to me***. I'd also want a young (20,21 years old) goalie to play a lot - so starter in AHL > CP backup in NHL in that sense.

***And from the Lindgren contract and my own recollection, I am pretty sure that the org was expecting Lindgren to gain that backup job. He just never was good enough.

This organization hasn't drafted a solid goalie since Price. I find that concerning. I've been saying for over a year that I'm not sold on Primeau either. They aren't prepared if Primeau can't step up.

Well they only use later picks on goalies, except the Fucale pick for some reason. Which makes sense with Price as your starter, but even then those picks are such huge reach that it's almost wasted. No offense to them, they're big and athletic I'm sure, but Vrbetic is sub-900 SV% (granted apparently on a horrendous team, could be intriguing), Dobes is bouncing between NAHL and USHL (first NCAA year coming though?), Dichow... wasn't it him that many posters here did not even know he played? And little info on Eliteprospect...

The only 4 other goalies we drafted since Price:
- Cayden Primeau: Looked good in NCAA, but not translating yet. Also, how strong was his team?
- Zachary Fucale: Loaded team up front, never made a dent in the ECHL let alone the AHL
- Hayden Hawkey: Looks like he had good stats in USHL prior to be drafted
- Petteri Simila: Did not even make the OHL in his D+1 season...

Habz4

Oct 1, 2013
The problem with our goalie prospects is that they are compared to Price, so are all the Backups we had.

Reactions: Vachon23

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The good thing is that goaltender is the easiest position to fill. Good goalies become available every summer. Grubauer, Fleury, etc.
True, but if Mr Price goes down yet again, or starts to slip, who can they afford to sign?

If they had a legit guy in the organization, he gets called up or steps in from a backup role, and you probably are paying him a low salary. Look at the Sens. I watched all Laval games last season and Belleville used a few goalies. Even in a losing effort most nights, they outplayed Primeau/Mcniven. Sometimes, they even won despite getting outshot badly. They seemed to have 2-3 very strong goaltenders.
If Primeau doesn't work out, and they draft a guy even this year, your still looking at at least 3-4 years of development. Unless they get extremely lucky. Even then, maybe 2-3 years. If Price can't play well for that many more years, they're screwed. No one to step in, and a 10.5 million goalie who can no longer play well.

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs may have to draft a goalie in earlier rounds...none of the guys in the system seem to have what it takes

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Primeau should get the 2G role while Price is injured. Montembeault has abysmal results in NHL and AHL no matter which way you slice it.

Give him the easier opponents to ease his way in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs may have to draft a goalie in earlier rounds...none of the guys in the system seem to have what it takes

True, since Primeau hasn't blossomed, we need a goalie of the future.

I still don't like drafting for need
It's what we did with the McCarron, Kk, Galchenyuk, Fucale, DLR, etc... picks. May be better to get a goalie by trade than trying to reach at the draft.

Reactions: abo9 and WinterLion

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
We are the most bipolar fan base bar none. We need to stop rushing prospects and our goalie prospect isn't in the NHL at 22 while up until today we knew we had Carey Price long term and he just had arguably the best playoff performance of his career.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Price is not the problem. The problem is that we decided to build our franchise around him. An extremely centralized position. When he goes down? We can’t mitigate the loss.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Price is not the problem. The problem is that we decided to build our franchise around him. An extremely centralized position. When he goes down? We can’t mitigate the loss.
It didn't help that Bergevin gave him a ludicrous contract as well. We are stuck with this for 5+ more years

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Seems like the covid shutdown and part season has regressed him. Missing two playoff runs and part season last year. He needs to see a lot of rubber. Get his fundamentals back to norm

Reactions: abo9

Habz4

Oct 1, 2013
I agree that price is not the problem and I agree 100% about how badly this team is built. But on a hockey point of view, those backups performance is always compared to the best in his profession cause that is what we are used to.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I agree that price is not the problem and I agree 100% about how badly this team is built. But on a hockey point of view, those backups performance is always compared to the best in his profession cause that is what we are used to.

Did everyone know how much the team was built around Price before he got hurt? Team D was better when they had Subban and Markov, but the team still tanked without him. The team has been weak since '94 or '95, but they have done well getting good goalies.

It's probably better to get the goalie as the last piece, if you have the option. Drag the team down so you get decent picks and then plug in a new guy. If you start with the goalie you rarely get bad enough to get top 5 picks, and when you do you can't pick the year.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Primeau had an excellent game last night. 0.949 SV% in a win.

I think he goes a little under the radar on here but he’s a legit prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad