Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
"He had a great week of prep and was ready," Madigan said. "Sometimes when a goalie gives up a goal, it's obviously highlighted more than a forward or defenseman making a mistake. There's probably one or two that he would want back. But Cayden Primeau got us here. We're here in Providence, Rhode Island, because of Cayden Primeau. He gave us a chance."

Not All Who Squander Are Lost

Northeastern fans on some of the college boards were really pissed saying he wasn't focused on the game or that he had his worst game in his career because he knew he was leaving for the NHL. He certainly did not have a good game to say the least but he still had a great season.

Was talking to @ScrimmageandStats and he seems to be under the impression that Primeau coming in = bye bye McNiven. I just assume one will play in the ECHL so they could each get a bunch of starts.

I would think so as Primeau is much better then McNiven, that's why I wanted Primeau to stay one more year as McNiven wasn't given a fair shake last year and this year he's been playing his best hockey once Lindgren got injured and he actually started playing more then 3 games a month.

backup goalies are pretty easy to acquire
If Lindgren is bad, we could just give up a late pick for backup goalie during the season

I don't think he'll be worse then Niemi was this year, wonder why they let him suck so hard all year when we had a number of late picks to trade.

a few comments based on the reaction so far:
1) Don't appoint Primeau a number 1 NHL goalie just yet. If he continues his progression for a few more years then sure. Both Lindgren and McNiven were considered the same a couple years ago.
2) Backup NHL goalies are really easy to find in the offseason or even early next season if Lindgren doesn't rebound.
3) Who cares if McNiven loses his starter position in Laval. If another goalie plays better then they should play. Same with Primeau. There are no gifts in becoming an NHL player.

1) Primeau is far ahead of Lindgren at the same age. Primeau at 18 had one of the best seasons an 18 year old goalie has ever had, Lindgren wasn't even in the NCAA at 18. Lindgren at 18/19 was in the USHL putting up average numbers. Lindgren was never seen as a NHL starter imo, he was viewed as a NHL backup.

McNiven certainly is a better case for caution since he was CHL goalie of the year and looked the part at 19 but was handled very poorly imo at 20 as i hate to see 20 year olds sitting for long periods. In the off season he had some medical issue that was fixed and helped him lose a lot of weight I believe. He clearly is playing his best hockey but he still doesn't get consistent starts and it could be that Bouchard just doesn't trust him. Now McNiven being an undrafted goalie he was always going to be a long shot but the Habs were just smart as there's no way he doesn't get drafted in 2016 after getting passed over in 2015.

2) Yet the Habs let Niemi cost us the playoffs by keeping a terrible backup all year.

3) I wanted to see what McNiven could do as a starter after the way he was handled last year but now we'll have to see what happens. Primeau is one of our best prospects so I would think they will give him the nod. Will be very interesting to see how he does.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Posted this on the trade thread and wondering what people think Primeau's value is. Who would you pick right now between Primeau and Spencer Knight? Does Primeau have 15-31 1st round value at this stage?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Posted this on the trade thread and wondering what people think Primeau's value is. Who would you pick right now between Primeau and Spencer Knight? Does Primeau have 15-31 1st round value at this stage?

I haven't seen Knight play yet so can't comment on that. But you'd have to imagine that if Knight had a good season in the NCAA, then the target would be to replicate the kind of seasons that Primeau had two season in a row. So I guess Primeau is the safest pick at the moment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I haven't seen Knight play yet so can't comment on that. But you'd have to imagine that if Knight had a good season in the NCAA, then the target would be to replicate the kind of seasons that Primeau had two season in a row. So I guess Primeau is the safest pick at the moment.

So am I far off by saying Primeau is a 1st round value from 15-31 range ish?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

His value will be high when he will prove that he can be good in the NHL. Goalie are so hard to predict.

And I would take Knight before Primeau, Knight really look the next Price

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His value will be high when he will prove that he can be good in the NHL. Goalie are so hard to predict.

And I would take Knight before Primeau, Knight really look the next Price

Do you really think Primeau don't have 1st round value from 15-31 range and he is a 2nd round value? I think not. Knight has a long way to go to put up the numbers Primeau has in the NCAA. I think you may be overlooking draft plus development a bit.

What is your trade value for Primeau? Explain. Are you saying a undrafted 17 year old is worth more than a drafted 20 year old in Primeau? Saying Knight looks like the next Price is stretching it. If you have this hope in Knight, you should have the same hope if not more in Primeau cause he is looking very good in his draft +2 years of developing. A player developing well and showing promise in their development years is worth more than a undrafted player at age 17/18.

Reactions: cphabs and jaffy27

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Do you really think Primeau don't have 1st round value from 15-31 range and he is a 2nd round value? I think not. Knight has a long way to go to put up the numbers Primeau has in the NCAA. I think you may be overlooking draft plus development a bit.

What is your trade value for Primeau? Explain. Are you saying a undrafted 17 year old is worth more than a drafted 20 year old in Primeau? Saying Knight looks like the next Price is stretching it. If you have this hope in Knight, you should have the same hope if not more in Primeau cause he is looking very good in his draft +2 years of developing. A player developing well and showing promise in their development years is worth more than a undrafted player at age 17/18.

Like I said goalie are so hard to predict that no one will give you good value for a goalie that didn’t prove anything pro. For Knight I just think his celling is higher

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like I said goalie are so hard to predict that no one will give u good value for a goalie that didn’t prove anything pro. For Knight I just think his celling is higher

So you are projecting Knight at age 17 to be better than what Primeau did at age 17, 18, 19? If you on the "goalies are hard to predict bandwagon", you should actually like Primeau more cause you get to see a extra 2 years of development.

I feel comfortable saying Primeau is worth a 15-31 range pick. When we start talking 2nd round value, it don't sound right to me. Pretty sure none of us trade Primeau for a 2nd round pick. You would have a very hard time picking a guy that has equal value and he develops like Primeau has at age 18 and 19 after he was drafted

What are my motives? I think we should consider moving Primeau if we can get value for him. Pretty sure several GM's would be interested. I like Primeau a lot but Price is around for a while yet.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So you are projecting Knight at age 17 to be better than what Primeau did at age 17, 18, 19? If you on the "goalies are hard to predict bandwagon", you should actually like Primeau more cause you get to see a extra 2 years of development.

I feel comfortable saying Primeau is worth a 15-31 range pick. When we start talking 2nd round value, it don't sound right to me.

Go ask it on the main board ! You will see ! No one will offer you a 1st for Primeau

I projecting Knight to be better at 26-27-28, I don’t care at 18-19

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Go ask on the main board ! You will see ! No one will offer you a 1st for Primeau

I projecting Knight to be better at 26-27-28, I don’t care at 18-19

The main board don't reveal the truth. I remember seeing Gallagher not being worth a 1st and Patch was worth a bag of pucks. This don't help us cause our asset values are almost always thrown under the bus by other fans.

Think about the probability of drafting a prospect in the 2nd round and they end up developing well like Primeau at the age of 18 and 19? I think it's very very low. I feel comfortable saying Primeau's trade value is 15-31 range. Saying Knight will be better at age 26, 27, 28 is a wild guess. It's based on hope. At this point right now, Primeau is worth more due to development years. Knight will have a very hard time putting up the numbers Primeau has put up at age 18 and 19.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The main board don't reveal the truth. I remember seeing Gallagher not being worth a 1st and Patch was worth a bag of pucks. This don't help us cause our asset values are almost always thrown under the bus by other fans.

Think about the probability of drafting a prospect in the 2nd round and they end up developing well like Primeau at the age of 18 and 19? I think it's very very low. I feel comfortable saying Primeau's trade value is 15-31 range. Saying Knight will be better at age 26, 27, 28 is a wild guess. It's based on hope. At this point right now, Primeau is worth more due to development years. Knight will have a very hard time putting up the numbers Primeau has put up at age 18 and 19.

A normal prospect with the developpement curse of Primeau would probably be that value but not a goalie there’s to much question mark

And for Knight is just the way he make it look like it’s easy like Price does

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A normal prospect with the developpement curse of Primeau would probably be that value but not a goalie there’s to much question mark

This is why I asked about the difference in value between Primeau and Knight. I think it's a good conversation and debate.

Right now today, I think Primeau has 15-31 range value. If a team was looking to draft a goalie, they would love to get a guy like Primeau who develops well like Primeau at the age of 18 and 19.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

So am I far off by saying Primeau is a 1st round value from 15-31 range ish?

It's a bit of a yes and no. His caliber warrants that kind of value, yes. But ultimately, not many team are looking for a goalie in the first round. Goaltender values are generally pretty inconsistent on the trade marker.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
This is why I asked about the difference in value between Primeau and Knight. I think it's a good conversation and debate.

Right now today, I think Primeau has 15-31 range value. If a team was looking to draft a goalie, they would love to get a guy like Primeau who develops well like Primeau at the age of 18 and 19.

Not many teams are looking to draft a goalie in the 1st round.

To add another perspective, look at the Andersen trade to Toronto. He cost a late 1st and a 2nd, but he had already proven himself at the NHL level and was a good bet to be a #1 goalie. He had great stats playing "1B" type minutes for Anaheim for three seasons before being traded to the Leafs. If I'm looking to move a late 1st for a #1 goalie, I'm looking at Freddy Andersen type situations, not a prospect who has had a couple great college seasons but is yet unproven in the pros.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not many teams are looking to draft a goalie in the 1st round.

To add another perspective, look at the Andersen trade to Toronto. He cost a late 1st and a 2nd, but he had already proven himself at the NHL level and was a good bet to be a #1 goalie. He had great stats playing "1B" type minutes for Anaheim for three seasons before being traded to the Leafs. If I'm looking to move a late 1st for a #1 goalie, I'm looking at Freddy Andersen type situations, not a prospect who has had a couple great college seasons but is yet unproven in the pros.

That’s what I think to. They have value when they are 1B like Anderson,Schneider or Jones not when they are prospect

Reactions: lamp9post

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Who care about the main board seriously? Most of them know less about our prospects than we do, they are only speculating on a prospect they barely saw play or really know about...

I will agree that goaltending prospects are usually hard to predict and only gain real value once they start to look great at the NHL level, but Primeau almost won everything in the NCAA and looked great at the WJC, not to mention he has the size and cool that come with the skills, you re-do that draft now and probably goes top 20-25...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who care about the main board seriously? Most of them know less about our prospects than we do, they are only speculating on a prospect they barely saw play or really know about...

I will agree that goaltending prospects are usually hard to predict and only gain real value once they start to look great at the NHL level, but Primeau almost won everything in the NCAA and looked great at the WJC, not to mention he has the size and cool that come with the skills, you re-do that draft now and probably goes top 20-25...

I like Primeau I think he gonna be the next starter after Price and I won’t trade him vs a 2nd round pick . My point is no one will trade a 1st vs an unproven goalie

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Now winning with the pros it's another story. Yet, what he has done in his juniors years is quite encouraging.

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Goalies are very hard to gauge trade value, I'm sure they could get something good for him but I don't see them moving him as there's just no telling how good he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad