Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
ROFL. I've never seen someone so mad over a painted helmet. You should probably find some hobbies.

Hart and Holtby share the same sports psychologist, Holtby keeps tabs on Hart. I'm sure Holtby is in no way offended by his mask. Man, people will cry here for any reason. Reading some of these posts are hilarious. You would have thought Hart murdered Holtby.

Embarrassing stuff here

Flyers fan I imagine?

Goalie fights are extremely rare and exciting but they are mutual. This was not.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Call it like it is. Doesn't matter if the guy is dead, a violent piece of shit is a violent piece of shit.

Beating someone who doesn't want to fight you is gutless and shouldn't be a part of the sport. People in this thread who rejoice at the thought clearly have mental issues and should seek a therapist to help their unnecessary need for violent tendencies.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
He was a scum bag, you're delusional if you think otherwise. I hate how its somehow deemed wrong to say anything bad about someone just because they're dead

Prepare to be called an edge lord or some cringe term like that. I always hated that myself. Bad/questionable people become saints upon death. Never to be spoken about, except in reverance. I could understand not saying anything, if you had nothing nice to say, in general, but this topic pertains to Emery.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Emery was a piece of **** and is probably burning in hell where he belongs. If I were Hart I'd be embarrassed to wear that mask, especially if he and Holtby are supposedly friends. That was a garbage play and shouldn't be remembered. How would Avs fans feel if the Canucks commemorated the Bertuzzi incident like this? Although thats not a fair comparable, as Holtby didn't even do anything to warrant getting assaulted.

I'm not a fan of either team but hopefully the Caps chase him from the net next game, and I wouldn't shed any tears if Hart caught a few clapers from Ovi in that mask of his.

Given that I knew Emery for almost 20 years, he was far from this. Yes he had a temper. In hockey. A d ignoring his assault charge that got dropped (an incident that you know nothing about seeing you weren’t present for like I was but will make your mind up on anyway), he was one of the funniest, kindest people you’d ever meet.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hart probably picked it because when people think of Emery and the Flyers, that was really his one memorable moment.

The moment itself wasnt great but did actually turn their season around. Im pretty sure Holmgren ordered him to do it too...and Emery held back despite how bad it looked. Holtby wasnt injured if iirc.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
There is some weird retconning in this thread:

"This fight helped turn their season around"

This fight happened on November 1, 2013. That had literally only played 12 games and were 3-9. They wouldn't hit .500 until December 21st.

"Holtby pointed at the scoreboard"

He literally did nothing. He stood in his crease, as Emery skated down the ice he skated to the corner to put even more distance between them. Emery himself admitted this

"Holmgen ordered it"

Eh, not quite

"With the Flyers trailing 7-0 early in the third period -- and fans chanting for the removal of general manager Paul Holmgren -- a line brawl broke out that ended with goalies Ray Emery and Braden Holtby exchanging blows."
Goalie Fight!

General Manager Paul Holmgren said. “Do I have an issue with it? Probably not. It’s a response.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-win-turns-into-fight-night-in-philadelphia/

"He's probably most remembered as a Flyer, so it's a great way to honor his time there."

This is a guy who played in 30 post season games for the Senators and was a solid backup during a Hawks cup run. During his Philly years he never had a SVS% over .905

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not sure is serious or just needs a reminder

"He didn't want a fight but I said basically protect yourself," said Emery, the former Blackhawks goalie. "I didn't really have much of a choice."

Holtby literally leaves the crease to avoid the fight, doesn't drop his gloves at all, and the linesmen prevent skaters from stepping in. Not to mention all the rabbit punches as Holtby's on his knees...

Maaan that was great! I miss this. Real hate.

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
Maybe since hart and holtby are friends he checked with holtby first before designing it. probably not but i dont think hart hart would put the holtby beating on his mask without holtbys knowing. i could be wrong, but the kid's got 'hart'.
Also i just think the timing is somewhat weird. why debut it vs Panthers? Wouldn't you debut it i dunno.. vs Capitals?

MINUS the holtby beating, this is a sick mask.

Nov 1, 2011
Maaan that was great! I miss this. Real hate.

Really? Looks like a bad hockey team angry that they suck attacking a good hockey team for being better than them.

This part of hockey culture is embarrassing. The ref stopping the Caps players from getting involved is idiotic when it's clear Holtby doesn't want to fight.

The whole thing is an embarrassment regardless of whether anyone got hurt.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Given that I knew Emery for almost 20 years, he was far from this. Yes he had a temper. In hockey. A d ignoring his assault charge that got dropped (an incident that you know nothing about seeing you weren’t present for like I was but will make your mind up on anyway), he was one of the funniest, kindest people you’d ever meet.

I'm glad you think he was a swell guy and I truly am sorry you lost a friend.

That said, every bad person is going to have people saying how good they were. A person thats good most of the time, but has a temper bad enough to assault someone unprovoked like that (ignoring the one that got dropped, I'm talking about the one on Holtby live on national TV), is still an asshole in my book and can go to hell. I have standards for the friends I keep in my life, shit like that doesn't fly.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
The Stevens hit on Lindros was 20 years ago, and occurred during game play.

The Emery beating was what, 5 years ago? And as I said earlier he skated the length of the rink to fight a goalie who wanted no part of it. And he did it very early in melee. It's not like he was waiting around. He immediately seized the opportunity to put a beating on someone.

Under current rules he would've been suspended for fighting an unwilling combatant.

like 7 years ago and those weren’t the rules when that occurred. Pick a side.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

This seriously sounds like someone defending an abusive relationship that they're stuck in.

"If you ignore the temper and his attacking people, he's a great guy."

Reactions: Hivemind and JKG33

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
There is some weird retconning in this thread:

"This fight helped turn their season around"

This fight happened on November 1, 2013. That had literally only played 12 games and were 3-9. They wouldn't hit .500 until December 21st.

"Holtby pointed at the scoreboard"

He literally did nothing. He stood in his crease, as Emery skated down the ice he skated to the corner to put even more distance between them. Emery himself admitted this

"Holmgen ordered it"

Eh, not quite

"With the Flyers trailing 7-0 early in the third period -- and fans chanting for the removal of general manager Paul Holmgren -- a line brawl broke out that ended with goalies Ray Emery and Braden Holtby exchanging blows."
Goalie Fight!

General Manager Paul Holmgren said. “Do I have an issue with it? Probably not. It’s a response.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-win-turns-into-fight-night-in-philadelphia/

"He's probably most remembered as a Flyer, so it's a great way to honor his time there."

This is a guy who played in 30 post season games for the Senators and was a solid backup during a Hawks cup run. During his Philly years he never had a SVS% over .905

So sad you're still so bent out of shape over this.

Reactions: Dave Karp

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
This thread is ridiculous. OP started it saying he didn't want to turn it to an Emery thread and within like 10 posts he's badmouthing Emery.

Hart is 21 and by all means an incredible kid. If you've read anything about him you know there was no ill will in doing this, it was in remembrance of an NHL goaltender who lost his life too soon. Looking more into it than that just means you're looking to pick a fight.

Reactions: AzHawk

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This seriously sounds like someone defending an abusive relationship that they're stuck in.

"If you ignore the temper and his attacking people, he's a great guy."

No. This is defending my friend against Washington Capitals fans that are still offended that their goalie, who they don’t even want anymore because Samsonov, got his ass kicked from this guy. Btw the dropped assault charge is because someone he loved and thought loved him called him the N-word. I’m not saying it’s justified but it is understandable because, well, would you expect that?

And because I’m on my phone and can’t multi-quote, but JKG33 he was in the same vein as Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, Tim Thomas and other fiery goaltenders that basically said “this place is mine. Come take it”. Him punching out Holtby was that. And he and Holtby talked that over after the season ended. Holtby feels no ill feelings over it. And not because Rayzor is dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad