Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
This kid is not aiming very high by highlighting that incident. Why not memorize the cup win?

Gonna have to dig up the ol' VHS tapes if you want to memorize that cup win....

If you want to see them get stomped by a superior franchise however I think I can find some DVDs for you

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Disagree. Don't like it, don't look at it. Move on with your day, it's just a painting.

If you don't like people's complaints, don't read and reply to them. Move on with your day, it's just a message board.

As bothered as anyone is by the mask, you're just as bothered by those people.

Reactions: banks and Hivemind

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If you don't like people's complaints, don't read and reply to them. Move on with your day, it's just a message board.

As bothered as anyone is by the mask, you're just as bothered by those people.
I'm not the one who started an entire thread to complain about paint. If I were to start a thread complaining about this thread, that would be just as petty, I agree.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm not the one who started an entire thread to complain about paint. If I were to start a thread complaining about this thread, that would be just as petty, I agree.

A distinction without a difference.

Earlier you weren't only complaining about only the one guy who made the thread. You said "people" not "one person".

What a goalie has painted on their mask shouldn't be controversial unless it's truly offensive but here was are in 2020 when paint gets people all bend out of shape.

If there's "people" that are bent out of shape, then you meant any poster bothered by the mask. And those people are just as bothered as you are, showing it by posting in the thread just like you are.

Also, let me just add, it's not just complaints "about paint". You can make a lot of offensive things with paint. Being paint doesn't make it smaller or less meaningful. There are things you can make with paint that will get you arrested.

Reactions: banks

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Like someone already said, that's a pretty funny thing to put on a tribute mask.

Really shows the insignificance of Emery.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
A distinction without a difference.

Earlier you weren't only complaining about only the one guy who made the thread. You said "people" not "one person".

If there's "people" that are bent out of shape, then you meant any poster bothered by the mask. And those people are just as bothered as you are, showing it by posting in the thread just like you are.

Also, let me just add, it's not just complaints "about paint". You can make a lot of offensive things with paint. Being paint doesn't make it smaller or less meaningful. There are things you can make with paint that will get you arrested.
But the paint hurts me feelings!

Reactions: TripleNutz

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Sad that there are not enough positive events in Emery's life to fill a hockey mask and they had to use this. Was there room to depict him punching his coach too?

It's like the school bully has passed away so to honor him they post a photo of him terrorizing some undersized freshman in the yearbook. Just seems like a silly way to "honor" someone who seems to have had some anger and aggression issues.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Code or no code, it's the same thing. Half the time fights are said to be because of the code, aren't even because of the code.

Basically this wasnt in the first 100 fights with an unwilling combatant, and it wasn't in the last 100 fights with an unwilling combatant.

Your only argument seems to be skater vs goalie...but both fighters were goalies...

Not that you don't have a point, but it's not as strong as you think it is.

Unless you go in every thread about fights and complain about whether the guy who lost wanted to fight or not. At least then you'd be consistent.
Not my argument at all. My point is that goalies carry value that skaters don’t and that if anyone should have known and appreciated that, it’s another goalie. For one goalie to cross the length of the ice and beat on another (much better) goaltender without any indication that the other guy was willing to go, that’s bush league.

The point about skaters vs. goalies is to say that if you believe a skater who did something wrong should be able to be jumped in hockey to answer for himself, we can have that debate. Skaters have more opportunities to cross those lines, so the scenario does play out more often.

Emery skates down the ice and actually breaks anything in Holtby’s face and this whole story is different. Goalies shouldn’t have to fight if they don’t want to, probably bar none. For anyone to champion Ray Emery here, it just makes no sense to me.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
His career highlight is beating up a guy that didn't want to fight? I guess that says a lot about his career.

What? When did I mention his career being anything? The guy is DEAD and a 20 year old has a TRIBUTE mask, your off ur meds bud.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Dude...hundreds of NHL players have fought someone that didn't want to fight.

How many goons are known to be the nicest guy off the ice? Honestly, a bunch. Yet they all have stories of them beating someone up on the ice that did not want to fight them but had to because of codes and what not.

Nice people can be mean on the job if the job pays them money to be mean on the ice. Don't go assuming that how they act on the ice is how they act off the ice.

I act differently on the clock than off the clock and I'm sure you do too. And I'm also sure you'd be willing to act drastically different if paid handsomely to do so.

Intimidation is handy in hockey but seen as devilish in an everyday situation.

You really can't compare the two, yet you keep trying.

I've met Chris Neil and Daniel Alfredsson each several times. Chris Neil was much nicer than Alfredsson to me. Yet Chris Neil would fight someone who doesn't want to fight him yet Alfredsson never did such a thing.

Being paid to act like a shithead makes you a shithead. It's crazy I know, but you are your actions and decisions. If you're paid to unwillingly bash other people's heads in and aim to hurt and injure them, in a scenario where that isn't the actual goal, then you are a pretty shitty person. Doesn't matter if you're "a really nice dude, other than the fact that he actively tries to injure and cause harm to others when he's on the clock".

And in Emery's case, it's not even what his team "pays him to do". He simply decided on his own that he was going to pummel a guy, who he knew didn't want to engage him physically at any point, and then proceeded to bash him on the backside of the head (which is as clear of an attempt to cause injuries and bodily harm to someone else as can get really).

Being physical is one thing, it's a good thing for hockey if you ask me. Players who aim to injure other players aren't "being physical", they're being dangerous shitheads who don't care about the long-term repercussions of the actions they inflict on others and thus are shitheads in general.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Pretty low class "tribute". How about him lifting the cup after he made his comeback to the league if you absolutely have to make a tribute mask to him? At least it's a more neutral, positive spin on a controversial man.

Wasn't a fan of Ray's behaviour but had to respect his comeback to the NHL after being diagnosed with that hip problem. Docs told him he wouldn't play hockey ever again back in 2011.

Reactions: TripleNutz

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I mean let's be real, there's a ton of hyperbolic statements being made in this thread.

Is this the worst thing in the world? No, and I don't think anyone has really said that.

Is anyone really that "offended"? Again no, I think you'll find many posters (myself included) calling it a bit classless.

Is it a good "tribute"? No, as it's been stated ten times over, the guy had much better highs in his career, this is at best a questionable choice. It being a tribute doesn't excuse the choice, you can't just throw anything up and go "ah, tribute, we're good"

But above all else, if I'm the Flyers.... why?

The hockey season is 82 games, it is long. Everything I've read and heard is that even the best teams find it hard to get up for all games. Good teams look for motivation, so why give them anything to work with? Why give the Capitals some to get them going. I think anyone who has played the sport knows that if you're the Capitals, even if you truly don't give a shit, you're going to use this as fuel of to feel disrespected.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad