Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I mean let's be real, there's a ton of hyperbolic statements being made in this thread.

Is this the worst thing in the world? No, and I don't think anyone has really said that.

Is anyone really that "offended"? Again no, I think you'll find many posters (myself included) calling it a bit classless.

Is it a good "tribute"? No, as it's been stated ten times over, the guy had much better highs in his career, this is at best a questionable choice. It being a tribute doesn't excuse the choice, you can't just throw anything up and go "ah, tribute, we're good"

But above all else, if I'm the Flyers.... why?

The hockey season is 82 games, it is long. Everything I've read and heard is that even the best teams find it hard to get up for all games. Good teams look for motivation, so why give them anything to work with? Why give the Capitals some to get them going. I think anyone who has played the sport knows that if you're the Capitals, even if you truly don't give a ****, you're going to use this as fuel of to feel disrespected.
No if anyone who has played the sport is going use the fact that the Flyers beat the Caps 7-2 the last time they met which should be motivation to get up for the game not a freakin painting on a goalie helmet. You guys do realize Holtby and Hart are friends and have known each other for a long time so if this bothers Holtby then there's something wrong with him. Wow some hockey fans need to get a reality check and stop acting like snowflakes.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Say what you want about Emery and/or the incident in question, but trying to connect Hart's intentions by him wearing this mask (seemingly the premise of the OP) are misguided at best. First, who really knows what his involvement in the design of this mask even was? If you read the articles, the company that designed and painted the mask had previously done work for Emery. I would bet that they were the party that initiated this whole idea, as there is really no connection between Hart and Emery that I'm aware of that would make Hart organically come up with this idea on his own. Second, I know pretty much everyone reading this thread is a diehard fan that probably recalls the incident and the outrage surrounding it; however, Carter Hart had just turned 15 at the time of the incident. Who knows what his recollection of this event and the controversy surrounding it are?

Furthermore, later on during the season of this incident, Hart would make his WHL debut for the Everett Silvertips. He wore #70. Can anyone guess why he wore that number? Huh, can't really think of any famous goalies that wear that number...

You could accuse Hart of ignorance of the incident (unless maybe he discussed it with Holtby first), but he's hardly trying to cross lines or give the Caps bulletin board material.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Capitals fans get to watch Ovechkin and recently won the Cup and care about something like this?

Yeah, I mean, look at what each player accomplished and where they are now.

Holtby is a non-story here, and if he is a story then Emery doesn't even compare.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Say what you want about Emery and/or the incident in question, but trying to connect Hart's intentions by him wearing this mask (seemingly the premise of the OP) are misguided at best. First, who really knows what his involvement in the design of this mask even was? If you read the articles, the company that designed and painted the mask had previously done work for Emery. I would bet that they were the party that initiated this whole idea, as there is really no connection between Hart and Emery that I'm aware of that would make Hart organically come up with this idea on his own. Second, I know pretty much everyone reading this thread is a diehard fan that probably recalls the incident and the outrage surrounding it; however, Carter Hart had just turned 15 at the time of the incident. Who knows what his recollection of this event and the controversy surrounding it are?

Furthermore, later on during the season of this incident, Hart would make his WHL debut for the Everett Silvertips. He wore #70. Can anyone guess why he wore that number? Huh, can't really think of any famous goalies that wear that number...

You could accuse Hart of ignorance of the incident (unless maybe he discussed it with Holtby first), but he's hardly trying to cross lines or give the Caps bulletin board material.
Good point, I don't think Hart gave the mask one tenth of the thought that us needs do, and even if he did he's still a kid learning what is actually poor taste. I don't really fault him for the mask, rather the idiot artist who thought it was a good idea.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hart and Holtby are really close... have known each other since Hart was ~13-14 years old. Hart wore Holtby's number in Everett because of that.

So I doubt Holtby has an issue with it really.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I don’t know what the big issue is. Let Flyers fans enjoy the mask, the Flyers haven’t done anything since 1975. At least let them have this.

Reactions: Pengwins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->