Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No. This is defending my friend against Washington Capitals fans that are still offended that their goalie, who they don’t even want anymore because Samsonov, got his ass kicked from this guy. Btw the dropped assault charge is because someone he loved and thought loved him called him the N-word. I’m not saying it’s justified but it is understandable because, well, would you expect that?

And because I’m on my phone and can’t multi-quote, but JKG33 he was in the same vein as Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, Tim Thomas and other fiery goaltenders that basically said “this place is mine. Come take it”. Him punching out Holtby was that. And he and Holtby talked that over after the season ended. Holtby feels no ill feelings over it. And not because Rayzor is dead.
It’s easy to have no hard feelings when nothing came of it in the end, but that fight is one of the stupidest fights in hockey. If hockey fans want to debate whether a fight is the demanded and acceptable response to the actions of a skater we can do that all day, but for a star caliber goaltender to be forced into a fight he didn’t want to answer for... winning? What are we even doing here? How is this a debate people are actually having? Emery wasn’t making Holtby answer for anything in the code, he made an educated guess that he had the fighting edge (go figure) and decided he wanted a pound of flesh, no options given.

Two guys want to meet in the middle that’s fine, but you know as a starter that you’re risking a lot of your team’s future success in that moment. Anything else is some grade A bull****. You can’t take a crack at another team’s season just because you want to.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I really hope this is a joke. Oh boy, if you think Emery was any kind of role model, you're gonne have a hard time.

I guess you dont know what a role model is.

If you don't think people looked up to his work ethic to get into the NHL, for example, then you must just be the hardest working guy ever. I'd love to see how in demand you've made yourself over the years. He's obviously done something right to make that much money. He worked hard to become a top hockey player that can command X amount of dollars.

A role model isn't only someone who shows you how to be mature or calm or peaceful. A role model can be someone who shows you how to work hard and how to value yourself.

You're either just trying to throw a shot at a dead guy or you haven't really thought of all the ways one could be a role model.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Call it like it is. Doesn't matter if the guy is dead, a violent piece of **** is a violent piece of ****.

Beating someone who doesn't want to fight you is gutless and shouldn't be a part of the sport. People in this thread who rejoice at the thought clearly have mental issues and should seek a therapist to help their unnecessary need for violent tendencies.

I think the problem is your blowing it out of proportion. Every week, someone in the NHL fights when they don't want to. We don't villainize those players.

Borowiecki had a clean hit and didn't want to fight but Anderson wanted to fight him so he had to fight.

I'm not gonna go around calling Anderson a terrible role model for fighting someone that didn't want to fight.

Maybe now you can see what I mean by you blowing it out of proportion.

Reactions: TripleNutz

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm glad you think he was a swell guy and I truly am sorry you lost a friend.

That said, every bad person is going to have people saying how good they were. A person thats good most of the time, but has a temper bad enough to assault someone unprovoked like that (ignoring the one that got dropped, I'm talking about the one on Holtby live on national TV), is still an ******* in my book and can go to hell. I have standards for the friends I keep in my life, **** like that doesn't fly.

Dude...hundreds of NHL players have fought someone that didn't want to fight.

How many goons are known to be the nicest guy off the ice? Honestly, a bunch. Yet they all have stories of them beating someone up on the ice that did not want to fight them but had to because of codes and what not.

Nice people can be mean on the job if the job pays them money to be mean on the ice. Don't go assuming that how they act on the ice is how they act off the ice.

I act differently on the clock than off the clock and I'm sure you do too. And I'm also sure you'd be willing to act drastically different if paid handsomely to do so.

Intimidation is handy in hockey but seen as devilish in an everyday situation.

You really can't compare the two, yet you keep trying.

I've met Chris Neil and Daniel Alfredsson each several times. Chris Neil was much nicer than Alfredsson to me. Yet Chris Neil would fight someone who doesn't want to fight him yet Alfredsson never did such a thing.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It’s easy to have no hard feelings when nothing came of it in the end, but that fight is one of the stupidest fights in hockey. If hockey fans want to debate whether a fight is the demanded and acceptable response to the actions of a skater we can do that all day, but for a star caliber goaltender to be forced into a fight he didn’t want to answer for... winning? What are we even doing here? How is this a debate people are actually having? Emery wasn’t making Holtby answer for anything in the code, he made an educated guess that he had the fighting edge (go figure) and decided he wanted a pound of flesh, no options given.

Two guys want to meet in the middle that’s fine, but you know as a starter that you’re risking a lot of your team’s future success in that moment. Anything else is some grade A bull****. You can’t take a crack at another team’s season just because you want to.

Code or no code, it's the same thing. Half the time fights are said to be because of the code, aren't even because of the code.

Basically this wasnt in the first 100 fights with an unwilling combatant, and it wasn't in the last 100 fights with an unwilling combatant.

Your only argument seems to be skater vs goalie...but both fighters were goalies...

Not that you don't have a point, but it's not as strong as you think it is.

Unless you go in every thread about fights and complain about whether the guy who lost wanted to fight or not. At least then you'd be consistent.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Past several years I’d been under the impression that the league had developed some sort of strict standard for goalie masks (much like how they now regulate jersey tucks and visor tint), which are now mostly boring and official logo-centric. Now....I guess not?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Ray Emery thread aside (because I know that would be a dumpster fire)

I look at that whole Holtby thing as being a really embarrassing thing for a league that was in the midst of learning about CTE at the time and did nothing to stop it or punish it. Even after he freely admitted it wasn't consensual (so much for the code):

"He didn't want a fight but I said basically protect yourself," said Emery, the former Blackhawks goalie. "I didn't really have much of a choice."

All that said. I can't even fathom a player trying a stunt like this in the old NHL where even the slightest perceived disrespect would earn you a merciless beatdown.

I don't know though, I'm bias, is this over the line?

My favorite part of this whiny attempt to create some kind of controversy is the fact that you seem to be yearning for the past and advocating for a "merciless beatdown" of Hart for wearing a helmet displaying a merciless beatdown.

You're so concerned and offended by a painted helmet but I have a feeling you stay pretty silent every time Wilson delivers a brain rattling hit to the head.

Reactions: BrokenStix

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
A cup and a Jennings...as a backup iirc

Anything else?
Well, considering the guy said he accomplished a lot of his life, not necessarily in the NHL, he's correct. Literally playing a single minute of professional hockey is a massive success in life. He obviously had a troubled past and an anger problem but he accomplished more in his profession than 99% of people could ever dream of.

OHL Goalie of the year
Drafted by Ottawa
AHL All-Star
AHL All Rookie Team
Binghamton Senators MVP
Jennings Winner
Finished 7th in Vezina voting
Stanley Cup Champion
Earned 20 million dollars playing a game he loved

What have you accomplished in life?

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
When a journeyman goalie jumping a Vezina and Cup winner is an iconic moment in your franchise, you know you've been through some rough times since 1975.
First of all, only one of these goalies had been to a Stanley Cup finals at that time. Secondly, none of them had Vezina at that time. And thirdly, I agree with you on rough times being a Flyers fan, but it has nothing to do with Hart honoring Emery.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
First of all, only one of these goalies had been to a Stanley Cup finals at that time. Secondly, none of them had Vezina at that time. And thirdly, I agree with you on rough times being a Flyers fan, but it has nothing to do with Hart honoring Emery.
Its a poor choice for a tribute, its more of a career lowlight than a highlight. It was meant as a shot at those Flyer fans that think the moment was awesome. Trust me as a habs fan I feel your pain on overcelebrating the small victories but Emery's fight wasn't something to celebrate.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
are we going to call every cheap shot in the NHL "assault" now?

give me a ****ing break

Yes you're biased.

was it not the greatest look at the time? yeah

but goalie fights are cool, and its a tribute. Put your whiny bull**** aside and just enjoy the tribute.
upload_2020-2-12_9-39-6.jpeg

Reactions: Amorgus

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Its a poor choice for a tribute, its more of a career lowlight than a highlight. It was meant as a shot at those Flyer fans that think the moment was awesome. Trust me as a habs fan I feel your pain on overcelebrating the small victories but Emery's fight wasn't something to celebrate.
I think, you are overreacting a bit. I do not believe Hart is pandering to his fan base here at all. Just highlighting Emery's fighting personality.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think, you are overreacting a bit. I do not believe Hart is pandering to his fan base here at all. Just highlighting Emery's fighting personality.
He's not pandering, its simply a "tribute" done in poor taste. I understand and respect the gesture, and I also understand that its probably the only "iconic" moment Emery had in his 90 or so games for the Flyers. Tributes shouldn't really be controversial.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He's not pandering, its simply a "tribute" done in poor taste. I understand and respect the gesture, and I also understand that its probably the only "iconic" moment Emery had in his 90 or so games for the Flyers. Tributes shouldn't really be controversial.
What a goalie has painted on their mask shouldn't be controversial unless it's truly offensive but here was are in 2020 when paint gets people all bend out of shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad