Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Ray Emery thread aside (because I know that would be a dumpster fire)

I look at that whole Holtby thing as being a really embarrassing thing for a league that was in the midst of learning about CTE at the time and did nothing to stop it or punish it. Even after he freely admitted it wasn't consensual (so much for the code):

"He didn't want a fight but I said basically protect yourself," said Emery, the former Blackhawks goalie. "I didn't really have much of a choice."

All that said. I can't even fathom a player trying a stunt like this in the old NHL where even the slightest perceived disrespect would earn you a merciless beatdown.

I don't know though, I'm bias, is this over the line?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Hockey is a weird sport. Ovechkin was a heel for his fire stick celebration a few years ago. But the nonconsensual beat down on a player? That's gravy.

Ironically it seems like rough and tumble 70s/80s/90s is the era where a guy wouldn't dream about even trying to wear this.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Which was the worse beatdown?; Emery fighting Holtby or the Flyers the other day on Holtby?

Easily Holtby getting beat down. I've been so disgusted by a player. He didn't even try to stand up for himself. Pathetic on holtby. Lost a lot of respect for him that day.

Reactions: Lurch

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Was a good clean fight, Emery was just bigger and stronger.
Not sure is serious or just needs a reminder

"He didn't want a fight but I said basically protect yourself," said Emery, the former Blackhawks goalie. "I didn't really have much of a choice."

Holtby literally leaves the crease to avoid the fight, doesn't drop his gloves at all, and the linesmen prevent skaters from stepping in. Not to mention all the rabbit punches as Holtby's on his knees...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey is a weird sport. Ovechkin was a heel for his fire stick celebration a few years ago. But the nonconsensual beat down on a player? That's gravy.

Ironically it seems like rough and tumble 70s/80s/90s is the era where a guy wouldn't dream about even trying to wear this.

Sometimes fights happen in hockey, though I've rarely seen a consensual beat down. It's not a big deal. Looks good on Hart's helmet though and I like the gesture.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Holtby literally leaves the crease to avoid the fight, doesn't drop his gloves at all, and the linesmen prevent skaters from stepping in. Not to mention all the rabbit punches as Holtby's on his knees...

This is actually a non event in the grand scheme of things. Nice to see this Caps fan hasnt gotten over a moment from 7 years ago though.

Would it be less controversial to have the Biron beating on the helmet? Maybe?

He's honoring someone who was popular amongst teammates and a fan favorite who died tragically in his mid 30's, so does this gripe really matter?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Man, I get your a Caps fan but that one portion of the mask really shouldn't be the takeaway from this.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Man, I get your a Caps fan but that one portion of the mask really shouldn't be the takeaway from this.
So why is it even there?

Like the argument of "it's really not a big deal" but also "it's a big enough deal to us fans to put it on the mask" doesn't jive. I don't know how Holtby feels about it, I probably would be kind of a peeved if I was him, I know if I was a teammate that'd send me up the wall.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Is it? Or is it actually a really polite way to lay out the facts. He statistically was an extremely average goalie. That fight comes in a 7-0 loss on his second to last season in the NHL where he finishes with some bad stats.

He was, even by the kindest of standards, a problematic guy.

Personally, I'll never understand the insistence to deify those who die young when their life is littered with casualties of others lives. To each their own I guess, if you want to tribute Emery that's fine, not my cup of tea as human beings go. But let's not sit here and whitewash his life, he was by the mentalist of narratives a "complex" guy and it'd be disrespectful to everyone in his past to simply try and brush that under the rug.

So why is it even there?

Like the argument of "it's really not a big deal" but also "it's a big enough deal to us fans to put it on the mask" doesn't jive. I don't know how Holtby feels about it, I probably would be kind of a peeved if I was him, I know if I was a teammate that'd send me up the wall.

I really don't know what to tell you you man. You're bringing up Emery's stats and the score from that game as if it matters at all.

This is a nice gesture, that's it.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Yes. I absolutely love fighting but this was not a good moment.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Who cares? Animosity is good for the league. More like this. Hart should wear it next time they play Caps and skate past Holtby while pointing towards his mask.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad