Carter Hart to wear mask honoring Emery, features Holtby assault

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
So why is it even there?

Like the argument of "it's really not a big deal" but also "it's a big enough deal to us fans to put it on the mask" doesn't jive. I don't know how Holtby feels about it, I probably would be kind of a peeved if I was him, I know if I was a teammate that'd send me up the wall.
The fans arent the one putting it on the mask, Carter Hart and the guy he paid to make it are. This is clearly someone trying hard to find something to complain about when everyone else rightly thinks its much ado about nothing.

Im not sure a Flyers player cares if he pisses off a Cap or two with his goalie helmet design. And besides Giroux, Wilson, and OV who was playing in that game that is still on these teams' roster

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Emery was a role model to me. Gave no f***s, had a lot of fun doing it.

Also, almost any nonwhite hockey player who makes it to the NHL is a valid role model for the purposes of representation.

I'm sure Holtby doesn't give a f*** about the mask.

Reactions: AzHawk

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Lol at the ref seeing Holtby getting punched in the back of the head and doing nothing

What an embarassing league
In re-watching it again, that was the most noteworthy part to me. Not sure who the ref was but he clearly took the position of "Not my job to break this up" despite someone clearly getting pummeled. It had the looks of a schoolyard fight where everyone encircles the two kids going at it not allowing anyone else to jump in. I love hockey fights personally, but when someone is in a compromised position, the ref should jump in, even if its technically the linesman's job. Beyond that part, I've got no problem with the fight, really. I understand that Holtby didn't want to go but sometimes you've gotta step up. In a heated rivalry game where your team is pasting the other guys and you've got guys like Tom Wilson on your team, you may have to get dirty on occasion.

The mask, however, is not really in great taste. I don't like either of these teams, but if my team was the subject of that mask (if Dan Cloutier was somehow honored and Rick Dipietro was memorialized on that mask), I'd be annoyed. I suspect the players would be as well. Unless Hart cleared it with Holtby, the fact that they are friends - or at least friendly - makes it all the more bizarre.

But whatever....if it makes this more of a heated rivalry, that's for the better.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I have a lot of thoughts about the actual goalie fight incident. I thought it was okay to engage in the fight, but pretty tasteless for Emery to not let up, it was bizarre no capitals came to aid his aid, the ref not stopping it, etc.

BUT this is a tribute mask. Don't make it about the goalie fight, that is ridiculous.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Ray Emery thread aside (because I know that would be a dumpster fire)

I look at that whole Holtby thing as being a really embarrassing thing for a league that was in the midst of learning about CTE at the time and did nothing to stop it or punish it. Even after he freely admitted it wasn't consensual (so much for the code):

"He didn't want a fight but I said basically protect yourself," said Emery, the former Blackhawks goalie. "I didn't really have much of a choice."

All that said. I can't even fathom a player trying a stunt like this in the old NHL where even the slightest perceived disrespect would earn you a merciless beatdown.

I don't know though, I'm bias, is this over the line?

You are not "bias". A person cannot be "bias". What you are, is biased.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lol I love it, but no doubt this will be bulletin board material for the Caps. Do they play again this year?

I really doubt the Caps are going to get fired up about a reminder of something a guy did seven years ago when that guy is dead.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Lol Carter is a kid and just wanted to show tribute to a former Flyers goalie who passed. People are so soft nowadays.

Maybe the number one rule of the fighting code is you do not fight someone who doesn't want to fight, especially if they guy didn't instigate in any manner. There is nothing wrong with showing a tribute, but Hart didn't have to put that picture in the mask. I hope some of his more mature teammates mention this to him and he learns about respect and class.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
worried about what emery did to holtby , while wilson skates for the caps. if i remember correctly, while watching the game live i wasnt suprised at all by what he did. the flyers where playing like garbage and emery sent a message to his team that nite. again, if i remember correctly the team turned it around for a bit after wards. pretty sure he didnt fight holtby for himself.

Reactions: AzHawk

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
I hate the Caps but this is a bit over the top. There’s a way to pay tribute to Emery without disrespecting a player from another team. And I bet 99% of all the people that’ll say I’m soft for saying this would lose their &@&! if a player from their team was being disrespected like this. Can you imagine the outrage from Philly if a goalie from Jersey paid “tribute” to Scott Stevens by showing him laying out a concussed Lindros?

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Maybe the number one rule of the fighting code is you do not fight someone who doesn't want to fight, especially if they guy didn't instigate in any manner. There is nothing wrong with showing a tribute, but Hart didn't have to put that picture in the mask. I hope some of his more mature teammates mention this to him and he learns about respect and class.

Oh I’m sure they did. :laugh::laugh:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
“I doubt anyone cares...”

They say about a sport where you have to fight over clean hits, celebrating too hard, celebrating when up big, scoring too many goals, the litany of things in “the code”, etc.

You’re right, hockey players definitely move on quickly and in no way harbor resentment

Reactions: JenniferH

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
This is actually hilarious that people have a problem with a tribute mask.
It's not a problem having a tribute mask, it's that the highlight is a guy beating the crap out of someone that didn't want to fight. If anything it should be considered one of the lowlights of Emery's career. Beating someone on the ice or anywhere that does want to fight is a gutless thing to do.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I hate the Caps but this is a bit over the top. There’s a way to pay tribute to Emery without disrespecting a player from another team. And I bet 99% of all the people that’ll say I’m soft for saying this would lose their &@&! if a player from their team was being disrespected like this. Can you imagine the outrage from Philly if a goalie from Jersey paid “tribute” to Scott Stevens by showing him laying out a concussed Lindros?
Wow, when did hockey fans get so soft and bent out of shape over a tribute mask. As a Flyer fan, I would have no problem if a goalie from Jersey paid "tribute" to Scott Stevens laying out Lindros with what was considered a legal hit back in 2000, Lindros had his head down and Stevens hit him with his shoulder. If Stevens played in TODAY'S NHL he would probably be suspended for life with the hits he did. Today's NHL is not about hitting or fighting or physical play, it's all about pond hockey. If any player makes a clean hit they have to fight. Maybe the NHL should just go down to 3 and 3 hockey to make the fans happy. Bring back 80's hockey when the scores were 8-5 or 8-7 with lots of hits, scoring chances, fights when players had to answer for their stickwork and stupidity and goalies who had 3.00 GAA.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why are people making it seem like it’s coming out of no where? It’s not like the topic was just dragged up because the Caps were playing the Flyers and people were like “you know what I’m still angry about?”

A flyer player took the time to have someone actually detail, (jersey, hair, face and all) what is, even by the kindest of descriptions, a division rival getting jumped. Why would that not be noteworthy?

This thread is mostly about the fight, man. Yeah the helmet is the original premise. But this is HFBoards.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Goalie fights and goalie goals are things to celebrate. Usually something memorable in sports has someone on the losing end. I’m sure devils still celebrate Scott Stevens ending eric Lindros’s career. Ugly scene but it was part of the sport at the time.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m sure someone connected the Capitals locker room has seen this “tribute” of the Holtby beat down. I’d also suspect that the recent ass kicking the Flyers handed to the Caps, combined with this “tribute” mask will rile up the locker room before the next game. Kudos to Hart for the bulletin board material because the Caps are in a funk.

The Capitals play the Flyers at home on March 4th. Won’t be surprised to see it as a Wednesday night rivalry game on NBCSN

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
To jog some people's memory:

I'm not a fan of either team but to commemorate Ray Emery by this fight is kind of pathetic. He skated the length of the ice unprovoked to put a beating on a guy who wanted nothing do with fighting. This wasn't like Roy and Vernon squaring off at center ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad